Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan S.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Names and numbers.
badge
I haven't changed this in years and I don't intend to start now.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, not just the world capital envelope. Also the envelope that contains missions (Player Signs Board 2x), but since that is how you place the world capital, I'll assume you're all here knowing that.

In our second to last game last night, we completed both the 'place the world capital' mission and the 'control 7 islands' mission in the same game. The player who founded the capital reasonably assumed that no one would catch up to him before he could take the last point, and the player who grabbed the islands managed to do so all in one turn for the win.

So, in one game we jumped from a relatively ordinary board to the world capital founded in Argentina, and the new sea zone founded between Western Australia and Argentina.

I couldn't be more thrilled with this. I have a major city with mercenaries in Peru, named South America, there's a bunker in Venezuela, and Brazil was scarred and covered up.

However, since I can start in Peru (and no one can stop me), every game with a lead faction is going to be a vicious fight over the capital so I can control South America. If there isn't a lead faction, I'll have to debate wasting 5 troops just for the measly continent bonus of 3 and still being open to attack from Australia, possibly getting into the endless war.

I guess my question, or issue, is how the crap do you deal with the world capital? It's such a powerful city that it can't be ignored. In the last game I had, myself and someone who started in Australia threw all our starting troops at it, I eliminated him, but was in such a great position from the population bonus and the resources I gained from the endless war that I managed to come back despite fighting into oblivion over the capital.

So do you ignore it? Do you throw everything you have at it and defend it with all your might? Do you destroy the resource card that it sits on because it's so insanely powerful?

Will I forever be haunted by the city the looms above me, tempting me with its power, destroying me with my own greed?

Oh, PS, I suppose: The private missions are very difficult, but since I won due to one in the last game we played, I can totally get behind them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
well, that's why the world capital is there. To force you to make a decision over what to do about it. the fact that controlling it makes you a giant target is perfectly normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make it a race to conquer if there's no Lead Faction as whomever takes it is going to lose a lot to claim it. It is a wonderful balance between risk and reward.

If you are Lead Faction and you hold it, you are a target.

If you start near it do you take it turn 1, but be dominished for the second turn.

If someone else starts near it, do you go for it yourself or let them take it and then take it from them.

Do you hold off till you have a sizable army and then march on it in order to bring a massive army to the table in the next turn.

So many options really and all could be justified. Its the thing I love about the game, just how far are you willing to push your luck? Love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.