Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ken bethea
United States
Dallas
TEXAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have an unopened box of the original FF Dust Tactics. I think I want a game that would have roughly the complexity level of Warhammer 40K and I've heard that the complexity level of the base game is that of Heroscape.

Is this true? If so, what do I need to do to "upgrade" to the revised rules? A revised set so I can get the rules and minis or should I just download the revised .pdf and buy some expansions.

I read somewhere about a card upgrade set. What's that all about?

It's all a bit confusing as to how to play the current version of the game, have some fun, and have a little bit of strategy. This is for me and my 12 year old to play.

Thanks whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Revised Set is still the same game as the original core set. There are just a few revisions to the rules, not really changes in complexity. If you're looking for Warhammer 40K, stay away from Dust Tactics, as it is a different beast, with more of a fast, simple and bloody gameplay.

What you may be looking for is Dust Warfare, which will have its rulebook released soon. It uses all the same units as Dust Tactics, but with more "classic tabletop" complex game mechanics.

But if what you want is a fun game to play with your 12-year old, with lots of excitement and a good amount of strategy, I highly recommend the normal Dust Tactics game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend downloading the newest ruleset, and I think Dust Tactics would be great for you and your 12 year old to play.

As Thiago says, it is simpler than Warhammer 40K, but when Dust Warfare rules come out, you can play Dust Tactics as a tabletop game and it will be roughly similar to Warhammer in complexity.

The Upgrade Card Pack is not necessary - it gives updated Army Point values, and not much else. While you're just playing the Core Set, it is completely unnecessary, but if you start buying more Dust Tactics stuff, you might find it worthwhile. It definitely isn't necessary in any way though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on how you want to define complexity. DT is certainly closer to Heroscape than Flames of War or Warhammer in terms of the sheer number of rules, but there's a surprising amount of depth there, especially when you start adding squads with all kinds of different abilities.

I find the game to be more fun and more tactically challenging than a lot of tabletop wargames, with plenty of tough choices to make. Just less time looking up rules and debating movement/LOS issues.

In other words, more than just a game to play with a kid, though one that is still accessible for your 12 year-old.

Definitely give it a try--as the other poster said, you can also use the same minis for the upcoming tabletop ruleset (Dust Warfare).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken bethea
United States
Dallas
TEXAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ok thanks guys that helps a lot.We will dig into it over the Christmas Holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust Tactics reminds me a lot of BattleTech, back in the 80s.

BattleTech was a relatively simple game, with about 25 pages of rules for the whole thing. Introductory sets are still placed at the same level of complexity.

Then they added new weapons, equipments, rules for buildings, infantry, , power armour, vehicules, airplanes, artillery and over time it became a 1000+ pages of rules monster split over about a hundred books.

While i doubt Dust Tactics is going to become as complex as BattleTech now is, it started a simple game much like HeroScape in complexity over a year ago.
Then they added the command squads, artillery, new abilities, buildings and now buildings with different levels with the latest scenario box. It's already much more complex than it was a short year ago.
They will release in the future the rules for the airplanes, bringing more complexity.

It's already much more complex than HeroScape if you include all the new stuff since it was released. The goal of Dust Tactics is to continue to grow with new ways to play, while HeroScape was always meant to live on with it's basic ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Dust Tactics reminds me a lot of BattleTech, back in the 80s.

BattleTech was a relatively simple game, with about 25 pages of rules for the whole thing. Introductory sets are still placed at the same level of complexity.

Then they added new weapons, equipments, rules for buildings, infantry, , power armour, vehicules, airplanes, artillery and over time it became a 1000+ pages of rules monster split over about a hundred books.

While i doubt Dust Tactics is going to become as complex as BattleTech now is, it started a simple game much like HeroScape in complexity over a year ago.
Then they added the command squads, artillery, new abilities, buildings and now buildings with different levels with the latest scenario box. It's already much more complex than it was a short year ago.
They will release in the future the rules for the airplanes, bringing more complexity.

It's already much more complex than HeroScape if you include all the new stuff since it was released. The goal of Dust Tactics is to continue to grow with new ways to play, while HeroScape was always meant to live on with it's basic ruleset.

Dust Tactics is more complex than Heroscape, but I don't feel like it's because of the rules. Remember, in Heroscape, a lot of the rules are printed on the unit cards themselves, in terms of all the special abilities--if you were to put them in the rulebook, it would be quite long.

For some reason--for me and my brother, anyway--trying to figure out which units to move in Dust Tactics and where to move them and how best to use the two actions seems far more difficult to decide than the kinds of decisions we have to make in Heroscape. (Maybe it's because we've played a lot more Heroscape.)

It often seems like a lot is riding on each decision in DT, with little room for error. On the other hand, we find a lot of DT games end up quite differently than we thought they would about half-way through--a lot of close games with come from behind victories. I think the dice can be quirkier in this game than in Heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kite Eating Tree wrote:
I have an unopened box of the original FF Dust Tactics. I think I want a game that would have roughly the complexity level of Warhammer 40K and I've heard that the complexity level of the base game is that of Heroscape.

Is this true? If so, what do I need to do to "upgrade" to the revised rules? A revised set so I can get the rules and minis or should I just download the revised .pdf and buy some expansions.

I read somewhere about a card upgrade set. What's that all about?

It's all a bit confusing as to how to play the current version of the game, have some fun, and have a little bit of strategy. This is for me and my 12 year old to play.

Thanks whistle

OT a bit but have you looked into AT-43? If you look in the right places you can get into it pretty cheap since it's discontinued- and it's IMHO a bridge between DT and 40k complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelockian wrote:
I think it depends on how you want to define complexity. DT is certainly closer to Heroscape than Flames of War or Warhammer in terms of the sheer number of rules, but there's a surprising amount of depth there, especially when you start adding squads with all kinds of different abilities.

I find the game to be more fun and more tactically challenging than a lot of tabletop wargames, with plenty of tough choices to make. Just less time looking up rules and debating movement/LOS issues.

In other words, more than just a game to play with a kid, though one that is still accessible for your 12 year-old.

Definitely give it a try--as the other poster said, you can also use the same minis for the upcoming tabletop ruleset (Dust Warfare).

I second this.

I traded my 3000 pt. painted Space Wolves army just to have my DT figs painted nicely. 40k has the best fluff and figs in the industry, but it's nice to have a game you can explain to a newb and finish playing in about an hour.

It's personal preference of course, but if charts that reference charts that contradict reference charts aren't your thing, DT might be yours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.