Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all love our games. We play them sometimes until they're played out but just how long is that? This varies from game type, to theme, to mechanic and your gaming group's preferences.

The following poll attempts to scratch the surface of this similar to the desert island question of what top x number of games would you bring with you if you were stranded on a desert island but much more likely to happen. I narrowed the categories with a broad stroke but ask that answering you think of a specific game in that given category.

Looking forward to read what other BGGers have to say on the topic.

Poll
How long before your gaming group burns out on playing the same game?
Think of a specific game that your gaming group enjoys from the categories below.

Select how many weekly game nights your game group is likely to play that specific game you thought of before burning-out on it.

Feel free to include details of the games and your experience in the comments below
  1 week 2 weeks 3 week 1 month 2 months 3 - 5 months 6+ months
Narrative-heavy game (Tales of the Arabian Nights; Arkham Horror)
Scenario-based game (Last Night on Earth; Castle Ravenloft)
Standard Objective-based game (Survive!; Tikal; Agricola; Pandemic)
Long, heavier game (Sid Meier's Civ; Arkham Horror; Twilight Imperium)
Short, lighter game (No thanks; Zombie Dice; Yahtzee)
Deck Building/Living Card game (Dominion; Resident Evil; LotR LCG)
Hidden Role / Traitor-style game (Werewolf; Resistance; Panic Station)
Negotiation-style game (Cosmic Encounter; Battlestar Galactica; Diplomacy)
Role Playing game (D&D, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds)
Miniatures game (War Machine, Battletech, Warhammer)
Collectible Card game (Magic: The Gathering; YuGiOh; Legend of the Five Rings)
      27 answers
Poll created by mstachiw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from a few favorites that hit the table with some frequency (7 Wonders, Agricola, Dominion) we typically rotate through the games in my collection and so few games get played more than 1 time in a row.

The exception to this lately has been Macao, which has hit the table about 6 times in the last 3 or 4 weeks. I cannot recall the last game that got so much repeated play. The newness is wearing thin with the crowd and cries for Agricola and a few games that have not seen the table in some time (Henn's Shogun, El Grande) have been cast about, so Macao is about to be dethroned I fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are at least 12 people at weekly game night, this can be more then 20, and there is a wide selection of games available.
Allthough some games get more play time then others, there are not many games that keep coming to the table, certainlyu not often enough to create a burn out for the game.
What you will see is that a new game gets played almost every week for a few weeks, and then it goes down to being played only every now and then, sim[ly because there are so many games to play, and so many different tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
There may be a couple games that get played 'a lot', but we don't tend to play the same game weekly.

Even when the game group was playing a ton of BSG, we didn't play it weekly. That's the only game that isn't a 'filler' that has been played 'a lot' in my group.

Quite the opposite, there are a few games that we WANT to get back to the table and it takes months to get it back to the table.

I recently pointed out in a thread that I don't understand the concept of 'burning out' or 'low replayability' of a game because we don't 'over play' any game. I got a private message from one of my gaming friends that said he hadn't really thought about that and needs to stop worrying about 'replayability' because it would be 'years' before it's actually an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's incredibly rare for any of the groups I attend to play the same game from 1 session to the next. This is especially true in my main weekly group because we alternate who chooses what games we play and everyone has different tastes... consequently we never play the same game from one week to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilcoxon
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the above.
My group suffers from newitis, we play a different game(s) every week. I'm getting a little tired of it because I'd like to practice one until we're really good at it but I am apparently in the minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LCGs should be grouped with the CCGs not the dominion style deck pool management games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my game group I usually select the game most nights (with a prepared playlist of music). Most of us enjoyed playing new games week to week but learning new rules or reviewing rules was the bane of many in our group. For this reason I scheduled more scenario based games several weeks in a row with pros and cons. Pro was everyone jumped into the game and was developing better strategies of play. Con was by week 3 there we were into the game but it was getting stale. I changed up the schedule and things were well again. Few weeks later we got back into the scenario based game (Castle Ravenloft for those wondering) but never played past 2 weeks in a row.

I am aware that some RPGers, Miniatures & War gamers play consecutive games with others through multisession campaigns. Its a trait and commitment I find rare in fellow board gamers who I've met with the exception of chess, go or other deep-thought abstracts.

For those who ARE interested in consecutive gaming I heed you this warning in cautionary tale of pacing your schedules. I attempted to throw a 3day marathon of Last Night on Earth gaming with 6 scenarios. Each scenario had different expansion rules. I was so flustered from managing rules and my wife was so drained from hosting we didn't have another game night for around 3 or 4 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
LCGs should be grouped with the CCGs not the dominion style deck pool management games

It should probably get its own category. I was attempting to be distinctive between the very dedicated CCG collector with the more flexible and approachable for some LCG market. More at Pathfinder is to Heroscape as Magic:TG is to Call of Cthulhu LCG but perhaps that's not the best example and I should have kept all 3 categories separate from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You've left out dexterity games.

Crokinole has been played at my house at least once a week for over 3 years now. Often over 20 times a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no "getting tired" in my group; well I guess there are three good examples of us getting tired of them:

1. Dominion was played every session until we were well over 400 plays

2. Agricola was played every session until we were at almost 200 plays

3. Power Grid was played every session until over 200 plays

We have so many games to choose from and such a rotation that often times we will play a game a few sessions in a row and then rotate something else in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could play one game so much that we were burned out on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I play 18xx every week and have done for the last two and a half years. The 18xx have largely replaced all my other gaming. I expect to be mostly playing the 18xx and like games for the next several years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group rarely plays the same game more than once or twice a month. The only exceptions to this are RPGs (Which tend to be weekly and unrelated to board game nights) and filler games like 7 Wonders.

I also occasionally force an exception for a game I'm designing, but even then I try not to have us play the same game two weeks in a row too often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thiessen
Canada
Abbotsford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
I wish I could play one game so much that we were burned out on it.

SO. DO. I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since our group meets at the local toy library we always have so many options to choose from that we rarely play any game on two consecutive nights. I think the only exception so far was The Resistance.

Back home we also rotate through our collection making a point out of looking up what we hadn't played the longest.

At my previous gaming group there was however one game that found it's way to the table pretty much every evening: Dog. We never grew tired of that but the rest was different every time.

I couldn't imagine playing the same game meeting after meeting. Not because I think I'd get bored but simply because I like so many games that I want to alternate between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a new game and everybody really likes it, then It's usually nice for example to play a 90-180 min game 2-3 times in the next weeks. The next session is likely to be more enjoyable and people will probably remember the rules better in the future since they have once fully grasped all the rules.

If the rules aren't very complex , then isn't an urge to play but for more complex games, if it takes several months to play the game again, then most of the rules may have been forgotten.

There are some games that may be burned out. Usually thematic games with suprise effects and story texts may have a problem. Some examples:

-Arkham Horror
-Runebound
-Mansions of Madness

A couple times per month would seem just fine, but weekly or even several times a week would be too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I think how soon we burn out of the game depends mainly on the game itself, not the genre, complexity or lenght.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
I think how soon we burn out of the game depends mainly on the game itself, not the genre, complexity or lenght.

I believe these all are attributes of a game.

If playing time doesn't matter, then how you'll be able to burn out a 12-hour or more lasting game since rarely you'll have that much time to play? You probably burn out yourself and your fellow gamers if you try play very long games frequently. On the opposite, the shorter games, while being fun, the repetition might hit at some point.

For complexity, some of the most complex games, you'll need to play them at least 5-10 times before you know all the rules and fully realize the strategy. After that just playing the game well might be a challenge. So how can you burn out a game if you on still learning it?

If there is nothing more to explore or no new things to be learned, then more likely you'll burn out the game. I don't see this happening in more complex, at least that frequently. I'm talking about all the board games in general, so yes, including wargames.

If you enough games to choose from then I don't think "burning out a game" never comes a problem. Probably you'll already have bought a new before you even think about the matter in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
RoadHouse wrote:
General_Norris wrote:

A specific game has those attributes. Those attributes on themselves won't tell me anything about the game, the whole picture is the important part.

I have never burnt on a game because it was long or complex. I have been burnt on some, specific, long or complex games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
RoadHouse wrote:
General_Norris wrote:

A specific game has those attributes. Those attributes on themselves won't tell me anything about the game, the whole picture is the important part.

I have never burnt on a game because it was long or complex. I have been burnt on some, specific, long or complex games.

"The whole picture" is defined by smaller attributes. If the attributes don't tell you anything then how do you define "the whole picture"?

Quote:
I have been burnt on some, specific, long or complex games.

Which games and how many times did you play them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
RoadHouse wrote:
"The whole picture" is defined by smaller attributes. If the attributes don't tell you anything then how do you define "the whole picture"?

The whole is more than the mere sum of the parts. A game is not just a defined by their parts but also by the relation between such parts. Such relation can only be understood by looking at the whole, not a part.

A sentence is more than the sum of it's letters, for example.

To me, claiming I was burnt on a game because it was long or complex would be like claiming that I got burnt on a book because it had too many words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
RoadHouse wrote:

The whole is more than the mere sum of the parts. A game is not just a defined by their parts but also by the relation between such parts. Such relation can only be understood by looking at the whole, not a part.

A sentence is more than the sum of it's letters, for example.

To me, claiming I was burnt on a game because it was long or complex would be like claiming that I got burnt on a book because it had too many words.

I never denied relations between attributes or meant it was a sum but if you can't even list the attributes, you can't define the relations.

Quote:
I have been burnt on some, specific, long or complex games.

The same question again:
Which games do you mean and how many times did you play them?

Quote:

I never claimed such thing, actually quite the opposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.