7 Posts

Panic Station» Forums » Variants

Subject: Trying to solve, infection proof and winning condition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fung Yup
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have read the rule 2.1 (or 2.2) and plan to have a game soon on this weekend. But I have quite a lot of questions so I come to the forum for rules and variants. I read a lot on the forum and, as same as my mind after reading the rules, the winning condition and the motivation of player, honesty are quite concerned.

I am happy to have exp player to help thinking if the followings work.

Mods on infecting other player:
Setup:
- 3-4 player, only receive 1 infection card for each player, ie, min hands=3 cards
- 5 player, only receive 2 infection card for each player, ie, min hands=4 cards
- 6 player, use all 3 infection card, same as original rule

Definition of infected:
- the host himself must be treated as infected in the whole course of the game
- for other player who is holding more infection card then the initial setup is treat as infected(ie, for 6 player game, you are infected if you are current holing 4 ore more infection cards)
- During heat scan, they should tell the truth as the above condition. the rule also apply on game end for predetermination of infected players

Trading:
-no more dodged for infection by treading gas can. If you are receiving an infection card, you are infected.
- You can trade the infection card(any card from others or in your colour) to other if and only if you are infected(by the above definition, more infection cards than setup)

Winning condition:
Normal human team - same as before, collecting 3 cans and burn the hive by trooper.
Infected team - let the host collect 4 cans, once the host collected 4 cans, the infected team wins

Explanation:
By this mod, the "infection" can be transferred among players. In the other word, the host is building a team to help him winning the game together. But if you are the host, will you soon build up your team in the beginning? its easy to be noticed if you trade often. For the other player who receive the infection card, means you are "temporary" infected and you can transfer to other. Which side will you help? I think the main improved area is the definition of infection. The original rule allow dodging the infection by gas can. The player still keeping the others infection card. Maybe a few turns later, the player will be confused if he is infected or not. Tracing the last infected player is also a hard job. So I hope the definition can be govern by rules and game components.

Very welcome if any comment, even telling me it is completely rubbish. As my playing group are all gamer and experienced. Its obvious the original rule will be challenged...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can already safely state that some of these mods will definitly not work in practice. I'm a bit surprised you already feel the need to tweak the game before having actually played it. If I can make a suggestion: play a game first and see how it goes.
You might be surprised that what feels a little odd on paper actually makes sense in practice. This is not a procedural linear system but an open-ended game with alot of freedom for players on how to approach it and with many emotional decissions from players that are just as crucial as the rule themselves. Such things are hard to capture in rules and simply must be experienced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fung Yup
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks your suggestion. I will have a game first then. Will you still suggest having the tweaked winning condition(the most replies one) from this forum for the first game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't quite understand that last question.
could you possible re-phrase?

In any case, the majority of players have no problem with the current winning conditions, and if you should have trouble with them may I suggest using the Master & Servant variant listed in the V2.1 and V2.2 rules?
This makes it less attractive to get infected as a human.

The real challange of the game is surviving the game as long as possible as the human player. It is so cool being to only surviving player and being able to burn down that parasite nest against all odds.
For me that is a true heroic victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The game seems fine as it is to me. Those tweaks seem way out there.

Just play it as written in 2.2 and you won't need all those crazy ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fung Yup
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry I mean this tweak
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/719220/yet-another-winning-c...

Does it good to apply in the first game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is actually the "Master & Servant" variant as listed in V2.1 onwards in the rules. It doesn't change the game, only hightens the motivation to stay human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.