Popular Tags: [View All]
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes on aliens, in the sense that life probably exists elsewhere in the universe, not that they're visiting us right now.

Yes on good and evil.

No on the rest.

Edit: but see later posts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sargent
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I don't believe in good and evil, but I do believe in good and bad, so I figured close enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Hmm, I'm not sure Aliens belongs on this list (it's the only thing that prevented me from voting None of the Above). I had to vote for Aliens under the definition of "sentient lifeforms with an intelligence and ability to communicate greater than that of, say, Dog, which live *somewhere* in the universe, and will not necessarily be in contact with Man at a future time. And by saying that I believe said Aliens exist, I really mean that I believe that they *might* exist."

Edit: With the new clarification, changing vote to None of the Above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
col_w wrote:
Yes on aliens, in the sense that life probably exists elsewhere in the universe, not that they're visiting us right now.

Argh. Beat by the brief answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to note that while I answered in the affirmative for aliens that isn't a vote for "aliens have visited Earth" or anything like that. Just from the scope of the universe it seems likely other lifeforms exist somewhere. That may or may not have been your intended usage for that option.

Edit: Well, looks like that's become the standard usage in any case. Maybe a secondary poll is in order for those of us that chose that option?

Edit again: Never mind, I just copied the cool kids and changed my answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noon wrote:
I don't believe in good and evil, but I do believe in good and bad, so I figured close enough.

Isn't evil extreme bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Since I can't edit the poll I meant aliens in the sense that there are sentient beings who visit the earth and or fly around affecting our lives in some way or form.

Ancient aliens helping us build pyramids and other structures or those that will come rescue us from or guide us through a cataclysm. Or malevolent ones who come to do experiments on us.

Oh. Vote changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the above, Alien life probably exists, but I interpreted the answer as flying saucer butt probing aliens.

I especially dislike the concept of 'good vs evil'. It is just too convenient too use it to whitewash the atrocity of the day, and it is entirely subjective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
noon wrote:

Isn't evil extreme bad?
Interesting question. The Black Plague was extremely bad but I wouldn't say it is evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
I especially dislike the concept of 'good vs evil'. It is just too convenient too use it to whitewash the atrocity of the day, and it is entirely subjective.

Subjectivity doesn't mean it's not real. Beauty is subjective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how atheists/agnostics bash religious folk for believing in a God they claim there is no evidence for. Yet, look at all the people who believe in aliens...which there is no evidence for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe in aliens, but I do not believe they have been anywhere near Earth yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
I love how atheists/agnostics bash religious folk for believing in a God they claim there is no evidence for. Yet, look at all the people who believe in aliens...which there is no evidence for.

As an atheist I agree with you. I wouldn't check aliens even if it meant in the abstract "somewhere in the universe" sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
I believe in aliens, but I do not believe they have been anywhere near Earth yet.

Then on what basis do you believe in them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:

Give it time - I think initially people were responding to that item on the basis that alien life somewhere was both plausible and probable, rather than present on earth now. Since the OP has clarified the intent, I strongly suspect that percentage will change downwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I voted for was "good and evil". Everything else on the list appears to require something to exist independent of us. Good and evil can exist by dint of definition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
jmsmith2434 wrote:

Give it time - I think initially people were responding to that item on the basis that alien life somewhere was both plausible and probable, rather than present on earth now. Since the OP has clarified the intent, I strongly suspect that percentage will change downwards.

Still not clear to me why the percentage should have been high even given the original interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Venga2 wrote:

Subjectivity doesn't mean it's not real. Beauty is subjective.
I never spoke to its reality. At best both good and evil are labels or qualifiers attached to actual behavior, actual people or, occasionally, actual objects. As such their reality lies entirely withing the eye of the beholder, just as beauty,. I contend that it is especially the reality ascribed to good and evil by using them as qualifiers for what -in the inherently subjective mind of the beholder- are behaviors/people/objects deemed worthy of them, that enables and promotes particular behavior in accordance with the agenda of the beholder. The danger, as I see it, stems from the fact that good and evil are usually presented as absolutes, when they absolutely are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume for witch you don't mean Wiccan practitioner. What do you mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
jmsmith2434 wrote:

As an atheist I agree with you. I wouldn't check aliens even if it meant in the abstract "somewhere in the universe" sense.

This is the first post in RSP that has surprised me for some time. Can you elaborate Marshall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
The only thing I voted for was "good and evil". Everything else on the list appears to require something to exist independent of us. Good and evil can exist by dint of definition.

In the question for the poll I specified ... as more than just an idea.

I take that to mean the question is whether good and evil exist in some objective sense independent of us (i.e. God is objectively good or something like that). Vote changed to none of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
col_w wrote:
noon wrote:

Isn't evil extreme bad?
Interesting question. The Black Plague was extremely bad but I wouldn't say it is evil.

My personal definition of good/bad/evil includes human intent. So something like the Black Plague doesn't really fit that spectrum. Bad applied to the plague is really only a shorthand for a collection of other descriptors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
jmsmith2434 wrote:

This is the first post in RSP that has surprised me for some time. Can you elaborate Marshall?

Well.... there's no, you know, evidence for the proposition that aliens exist somewhere in the universe. Just like there's no evidence that we live in a multiverse.

Neither of those propositions (aliens and multiverses) are ruled out by the evidence that we do have. Their existence is even logically consistent with everything we know about the universe and the laws of nature. It may even seem likely that both of those propositions are true.

I just happen to believe that things can't be argued into existence based just on logic. The only way to warrant a belief in the objective independent existence of something is to make an empirical observation of some kind that is a necessary consequence of the existence of that thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
I just happen to believe that things can't be argued into existence based just on logic.

So you don't believe in imaginary numbers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
I just happen to believe that things can't be argued into existence based just on logic.

So you don't believe in imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are found in many mathematical models that describe some aspect of the Universe. Aspects which are backed up by copious empirical observations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.