Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please assume (correctly?) stupidity on my part.   Then, out of pity, offer some assistance if you can.

I like big maps.  In fact, I want to make some of my game boards rollable, larger, and able to fit under plexiglass.  With that said, I would like some hints about how to do this.  Thus, I want to take a board, copy it, blow it up and use it.

I understand copyrights can be an issue.  I am not sharing the file, I am not profiting from the copy, and I probably own more than one copy of the game, so I am NOT sticking it to the game designer or producer, I promise.  So, if you chastise me for my goal, feel free to help me complete the task after the lecture

I asked this question some time ago and one suggestion was to take a photo of the board and then upload it.  I am also wondering if anyone can suggest a scanner that would allow me to scan a board in reasonably sized sections that could be combined.  Alternatively, if there are hand scanners that work well, I am good with that as well.  I know NOTHING about scanners so specific recommendations would be particularly helpful.

Lastly, once I have a file, is there an inexpensive program I can use to assemble the pieces (scanned sections) into one file?

Thanks for helping a bonehead game big.  I have been away from gaming for months now and I gotta break out of this funk in a big way.  Thanks in advance for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Libraries sometimes have extra-large scanners for digitizing print media.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lallatin
United States
John Day
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take a picture of it, or scan it, there is a software program called 'PosteRazor' that will enlarge it and break it into 1-sheet sized pieces that can be printed out and put together. It has worked well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I just wanted to make a copy of my 'RAF' and 'D-Day at Omaha Beach' maps, never mind enlarging them. This proved to be difficult enough. I scanned the maps with my Canon MP800 and stitched them together with Adobe Photoshop CS5. After many experiments I discovered

A. You have to scan in a high resolution.
B. You have to stitch the map broadsides first. Then you combine the two halfs (do not attempt to scan your map in 3 rows - you'll spent eternity making corrections to the unsatisfactory result).
C. No matter what you do, you WILL spent a lot of time correcting the result if not eternity.

I tried the picture approach. Didn't work for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinkos or an architecture firm can scan it for you and print it out. In color. On outdoor sign material, i.e., indestructable or hard stock or anything else. And you can photoshop it and make modifications, color enhancement, size scaling, etc...

Check out my photo gallery for my enlarged Flat Top map as an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much much appreciated....now what about hand scanners?! I ask because i cant feed boards into rollers...do they have large flatbeds anywhere aside from architecture firms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter De Bruycker
Belgium
Gent (Desteldonk)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had great results with hugin when stitching together pictures.

More specifically, they have a tutorial about stitching scanned pages: http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/scans/en.shtml
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Glass
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done this to several of my games. Local printers will NOT copy a copyrighted map, but they will not restrict you from doing so. The option I used was to scan these into a thumb, then had a friend good at the use of the photo blending programs merge them into a single file. I was then able to take that file and have it printed at the print shop as they often have roll prints for banners, etc, so they are typically 32-36 inches wide, but I've seen some up to 48" wide. In my case, depending on size. I may then have it laminated, or simply roll it up to go under plexiglass.

My Hells Highway map, which always had the problem with hexes being too small, is now approx 32 inches wide and over 7 feet long with the hexes more the Panzer Blitz size. I also enlarged History of the World and Struggle of Empires as both play with large numbers of players and having a large map simply helps around the table. I also enlarged Decision Games WW1 and Battle for Germany, Fortress Europa, and Guns of August, and am very happy with the results.

Its not cheap to do this if you laminate, but sometimes worth it.

Good luck

Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GIMP is a freeware alternative to Photoshop.
I've heard people having some success printing onto fabric from custom fabric printers (Spoonflower etc.). A board made in this way would be very resilient compaired to a paper board, and likely at lower cost than printing onto good paper and/or laminating. It sounds like there is some degeneration in quality of the final product though (probably not a big deal if you're scanning something and blowing it up anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last 2 years of presenting large posters at scientific conferences, I've seen more and more cloth prints. They look pretty good and, best of all, can be folded or rolled up pretty small. I've even seen some come out of stuff sacks. Depending on the game, a stuff sack might be kind of cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.