Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Pickett
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I was going back over old review threads, and a fellow referred to as Duke (CaptainCosmic), replied to a thread by Jack Reda (The Warp), [http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/365587/review-of-the-ali...], saying,
Quote:
A few days ago, I got curious about where all of the aliens "came from," so I researched each card's first appearance in the Cosmic Encounter universe, and here's what I came up with:

( originally printed as "Origins of Specie(s)" at my CE website: http://blogmicencounter.blogspot.com/ )

+++++

Here’s a breakdown of the initial Cosmic Encounter appearances for the 50 aliens included in the recently released Fantasy Flight Games version of the game:

31 were included in the Eon base set and expansions:

* (12 from base set) Amoeba, Clone, Macron, Mind, Mutant, Oracle, Philanthropist, Trader, Virus, Void, Vulch, Zombie;
* (4 from Expansion 1) Dictator, Grudge, Parasite, Will;
* (7 from Expansion 2): Anti-Matter, Calculator, Filch, Gambler, Machine, Miser, Sorcerer
* (5 from Expansion 3): Assassin (renamed to Shadow), Healer, Reincarnator, Vacuum, Warrior;
* (3 from Expansion 7): Loser, Pacifist, Warpish.

4 are from the Mayfair base set and expansion:
Chosen, Mirror, Reserve, and Spiff.

2 are from Cosmic Encounter Online:
Mite and Tripler.

And 13 are new and have never before been published officially:
Barbarian, Citadel, Cudgel, Fido, Fodder, Hacker, Hate, Human, Kamikaze, Masochist, Observer, Remora, and Tick-Tock.

Instant analysis: overall, it's a very interesting mix. I’m particularly satisfied with FFG’s decision to search the cosmos for 13 essentially new aliens, and I’m also impressed by how many old-school aliens are still making the grade today. Eighty percent of the original base set from 1977 (12 of 15) is included in CE’s 2008 re-release, along with 70 percent (7 of 10) of Expansion 2.

So, are there other well-versed people about who could pick up where this left off and share anything of the same kind of information for the expansions? With the third out, there are now more aliens in the three expansions combined than in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going off memory, the first two expansions each had 10-11 aliens from previous editions of the game, with the balance being new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wuerch

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most the 'new' powers are either re-used (like the Spiff) or renamed and updated versions of what I used to call "paper powers"

I had printed like 350 additional powers printed from the old postscript files from the old users group from like the late 80's or early 90's for use with my Eon set (and eventually the Mayfair set, to replace my poor disintegrating Eon set). Imagine all those old user-created .ps files eventually were turned into something else that normal people could use...

Haven't busted out my huge pile of powers for the FFG set yet though, just to keep it simpler for noobs. We used to play a LOT back in the 80's... (and I still play pick 4 fish, throw the little one back, 3 power down powers variant )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.