A few days ago, I got curious about where all of the aliens "came from," so I researched each card's first appearance in the Cosmic Encounter universe, and here's what I came up with:
( originally printed as "Origins of Specie(s)" at my CE website: http://blogmicencounter.blogspot.com/
Here’s a breakdown of the initial Cosmic Encounter appearances for the 50 aliens included in the recently released Fantasy Flight Games version of the game:
31 were included in the Eon base set and expansions:
* (12 from base set) Amoeba, Clone, Macron, Mind, Mutant, Oracle, Philanthropist, Trader, Virus, Void, Vulch, Zombie;
* (4 from Expansion 1) Dictator, Grudge, Parasite, Will;
* (7 from Expansion 2): Anti-Matter, Calculator, Filch, Gambler, Machine, Miser, Sorcerer
* (5 from Expansion 3): Assassin (renamed to Shadow), Healer, Reincarnator, Vacuum, Warrior;
* (3 from Expansion 7): Loser, Pacifist, Warpish.
4 are from the Mayfair base set and expansion:
Chosen, Mirror, Reserve, and Spiff.
2 are from Cosmic Encounter Online:
Mite and Tripler.
And 13 are new and have never before been published officially:
Barbarian, Citadel, Cudgel, Fido, Fodder, Hacker, Hate, Human, Kamikaze, Masochist, Observer, Remora, and Tick-Tock.
Instant analysis: overall, it's a very interesting mix. I’m particularly satisfied with FFG’s decision to search the cosmos for 13 essentially new aliens, and I’m also impressed by how many old-school aliens are still making the grade today. Eighty percent of the original base set from 1977 (12 of 15) is included in CE’s 2008 re-release, along with 70 percent (7 of 10) of Expansion 2.