United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I was always interested in history growing up but when I read in college the book Scot and Amundsen (retitled The Last Place on Earth) by Roland Huntford it crossed over from interest too lifelong hobby. Roald Amundsen has been a great hero of mine ever since. A truly amazing man. It's always been a dream of mine to visit the Fram in Oslo one day.

The thing about Amundsen's achievement was that he had always dreamed of being the first man to stand at the North Pole. However when Robert Peary reached it in 1909 Amundsen was forced to turn to the South Pole hoping that once he achieved it he would be able to pay the debts he had incurred in planning for his northern expedition. The result was that as Amundsen stood at the South Pole in what was the greatest achievement of his exploration career, he was standing on exactly the opposite spot on the planet that he had dreamed to be. Even Amundsen saw the irony in it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
And the 'Mountains of Madness' were discovered. But, the mountains weren't really explored until a later date by an ill-fated expedition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
That's the happy story. Here's the unhappy one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Nova_Expedition
Wow. I have learned something on this day. And from ChitChat, no less!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100 years from now, your descendants will commemorate the date!
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.