bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Dear fellow gamers,
yesterday evening we played Vanuatu with the help of the "anti AP ( Analysis Paralysis ) clock", a clever addition that we introduced for the first time to help fight AP prone guys like....me blush

Disclaimer: 4 out of 5 players never played Vanuatu before (including me)

what is the AP clock? that funny, multicolored "die" in the picture was used to "set" the time that each of the 5 players spent doing their moves/choices, and we decided that whoever accrued the most time spent planning their moves will have a penalty of ONE position in the final score! OMG!!! Every face of the time die has a separate clock and colour so we always knew if we were lagging behind and need to think faster!!!
Anyway, here we go with this unusual session report:
After rules were explained and I ( the yellow player ) was already scratching my head because I was the damn first player ( remember the anti AP clock?!? It's BAD to be the first player when you don't have a clue! ), I thought that having a discount on building was not a bad idea because everyone is tight on money at start ( only 3 Vatu each ), and maybe all the other guys wanted to set sail and to do things like fishing/hunting treasury and well, let's try and bring some tourists in!
I tried to keep this low profile strategy (?) and focused on buildind stands and grabbing tourists with the occasional bonus help of the Guide; i didn't try to compete with drawing tortoises on the sand and fishing/treasuries hunt; I only scavenged the leftovers in a few occasions.
I was lagging behind in points along with the red player and I hoped that in the end all those stands and tourist could provide a big boost of points, but being a first timer I really had no idea. Anyway, too late to change strategy now!
I was a close second in the anti AP clock race, so I had to plan faster if I didn't want to be penalized at the end! Cmon brain, keep working!!
I must say that it was a funny metagame though, beating the clock and mocking and distracting other players during their own turns!
I saw a couple of other players grabbing some nice points shipping stuff so I tried this path as well after I was done building stands ( the latter you build them the less the chance that lots of tourists visit them ).

At the end we tallied the points and I amassed quite a lot of points with my stands, and I managed to climb to first place! Now, let's see the anti AP clock...
Yeah! I was not the slowest player! No penalty for me! laugh

A weird session I know.... I hope to avoid the Anti AP clock when I play again next time!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Fuerst-Brunner
Germany
Neuching
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now it would be interesting to know how much time did your session actually take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Of course we didnt compute "neutral" time, this is the "effective" action time!
The game and AP clock owner took note of the times, I'm trying to remember by heart! I'll update as soon as I get in touch with him!

Here we go:

slowest player: 29 minutes
me a.k.a. the winner YAY!: 24 min
game owner: 21 min ( second place for him)
Pisco the whiner: 19 min
The fastest one: 16 min
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
29 minutes for one turn...or total? If it was just for one turn dear God I would go crazy. If it was for the whole game that isn't too bad for a new player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
29 minutes for one turn...or total? If it was just for one turn dear God I would go crazy. If it was for the whole game that isn't too bad for a new player.

Total!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
johnnyspys wrote:

Total!

Well then, if this was the first time or one of the second or third time then this is not bad! Horray for the battle against AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jahz
France
Antibes
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting session, yesterday we had a 5 players game (2 new to the game, and 3 having played once months ago) and it lasted for almost 4 hours, which was really too much.

I like very well your anti AP clock, though I would not choose the same penalty system as yours (maybe something like everybody has 30 min base time, then you loose 1 point every additional 5 min, or something like this...)

But really the progamming phase with 5 players completely ready to block others if it's a small (or even big !) cost for them is a nightmare
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.