Subject: How often new sets will be released? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hristo Filipov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to Heroclix, my interest is in the LOTR setting of the game. Based on your experience with previous Heroclix releases can you tell me how often new sets for the same setting (universe) get released? Is it every 3-4 months or every 8-10 months or so? This is very important for me to know before deciding whether I will get into this game or not. If it is too frequently I won't be able to catch up financially and I won't start at all. I would like to have every figure of the sets, but prefer 1 or 2 releases a year. I don't want this game to fill up all my gaming budget. I regularly buy a lot of board games and I don't want this to change (because honestly they are the best bang for your buck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sachau
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll guess it will be at most 3 sets per year. Currently there are 3-4 Marvel/DC sets combined per year.

But I also think that this game will die after 2 or 3 sets like the Sabretooth version. Maybe the new Hobbit movie will bring some new players in.

LoTR does not have enough interesting characters, to support a lot of sets. Marvel/DC created literally 1000s of characters of the span of 60 years, so there are still characters missing in heroclix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I have to agree with Obermeier, in that I believe this version of HeroClix will be short lived with only 1 or 2 additional releases at best; and only if those models are already loaded into the production cycle.

I love all things (especially board agmes) related to J.R.R.Tolkien's Middle Earth and Peter Jackson's movie adaptations. I have collected and enjoyed the Sabertooth Games Combat Hex: Lord of the Rings - Tradeable Miniatures Game, from the beginning until even now. However, I feel that this style of medieval fantasy and the DC / Marvel Universes are separate distinct genres that are basicly incompatible, even though great efforts have been taken to make the gaming mechanics interchangeable.

I doubt that Med Fan Wargamers will like their favorite characters dueling like Super-Heroes without hordes of 3D minions also in the melees, and I also doubt that the Comic Book enthusiasts will find ancient costumes and weapons as appealing at their favorite other-worldly personalities.

This game may have had a better chance to survive a few years IF it's release coincided with the new "Hobbit" movie hitting the theaters next December and a LOTR revival swept through the land. Perhaps the Marketing Exec's at WizKids have this in mind and intend this first product line to wet the appetite of their customers and [hopefully] soon we will see figures representing: Bilbo, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Ori, Nori, Dori, Fili, Kili, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Oin, and Gloin added to the inventory.

I was suprised to see only one of each character in this initial LOTR set and not the traditional Rookie, Experienced, and Veteran versions of every persona. Only time will tell if the gaming public will take a liking to this hybrid and buy sufficient quantities to justify continued corporate investment during this tough economy. Can you afford to invest in another collectible game with blind booster purchases? That's your call, but imho the average person should wait and see if the price drops drasticly as soon as it's OOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.