Gears of War: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does MULCHER's move limit include DOM's extra movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guinch Nudrevil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mulcher weapon limit the move on your turn up to 2 zones. Does that include Dom's extra movement ?

We and my friends disagree on this (I think the Mulcher includes any move you may do on your turn, they don't). Otherwise we agree to say you're not limited while following someone on his turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without checking the wording on Mulcher (at work atm), IIRC it maxes your own turn moves of any kind to two areas, no more. To me that would slow down Dom as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Question! I quess after reading the "mulcher" card in conjucntion with Dom's special ability, I agree with Dam the Man. I wonder what others think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i always consider dom's special ability to be the highest rule that won over any rule.. so is marcus's 7 order-card max and 5 dice chain-saw attack..

its the kind of stuff that differentiate the CoGs from one another

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Dom's ability is used after performing an action. It isn't added on to any movement. Therefore I would rule Dom to only move 2 spaces due to whatever card text, but his extra move bonus would still apply after the bullet point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
Dom's ability is used after performing an action. It isn't added on to any movement. Therefore I would rule Dom to only move 2 spaces due to whatever card text, but his extra move bonus would still apply after the bullet point.

Mulcher doesn't care about your actions.

It says "You may not move more than 2 areas on your turn." And Dom has to use his ability during his own turn, plus it is also worded as "move", which all goes along, at least for me, with my initial response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vira Our
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To my mind characters abilities can always be used even if it is written otherwise on cards.

Then Dom can move up to three areas with the mulcher.

"Move up to 1 additional area in your Order Phase." : It's 1 additionnal area for mulcher too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Order Phase is part of your turn, during which Mulcher's limitation is active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vira Our
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mulcher limits your move up to 2 areas.
Dom move up to 1 additional area.

It's like in mathematics and where you put the brackets. It's a question of priority and without an official FAQ nobody can say which card has priority.

If you play a card with 5 moves you can have either :

- (5 moves + 1 additionnal ) Limited to 2 by mulcher = 2
- (5 moves limited to 2 by mulcher) + 1 additionnal move = 3

In my games, I choose the second possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alkand wrote:
Mulcher limits your move up to 2 areas on your turn.
Dom move up to 1 additional area on your turn.

Nothing in Dom's text says he can ignore limitations or restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Nothing in Dom's text says he can ignore limitations or restrictions.

Well "additional" does mean it goes beyond some limitation. But I'm with you, in that, for me, Dom's "additional" means "in excess of the movement on the order card". I still find his ability is by far the most useful of all the COGs. Having him fast moving the Mulcher, or (heaven's forbid) moving 1 and still firing the Torque Bow is too easy and powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.