Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it allowed to overbuild a building with the identical building? When the President's car stops at the overbuild space, the players who had built the rum distillery and cigar manufacturer each wanted to pay one peso to overbuild these buildings with the identical building in order to prevent other players from building them. Is this allowed? The rules don't disallow it, so we ruled it was okay, but we also agreed it seemed against the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing against it ... good strategy to take a building away from someone else.

Thematically, just think about your cigar plant being remodeled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
...The rules don't disallow it, so we ruled it was okay, but we also agreed it seemed against the spirit of the game.

Agree with all that. I guess if everyone decides it's ok....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:

Oh, it was certainly optimal. It was a 5p game, so removing all competition for cigars or rum is awesome. We just thought there must be a reason all buildings are unique except the ones that process those goods, and that it might unbalance the game to only allow one of each into a 5p game.

Some of the elements of the expansion didn't sit well with me, and this was one of them. Also, none of the new buildings seemed useful, with the exception of the one that turns one of each piece of merchandise into 9 VPs, which seemed okay, not great. Probably more effort than it's worth. I like the new bills, but the random boons provided by the President's car added to the complexity of the game without adding much else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:

Oh, it was certainly optimal. It was a 5p game, so removing all competition for cigars or rum is awesome. We just thought there must be a reason all buildings are unique except the ones that process those goods, and that it might unbalance the game to only allow one of each into a 5p game.

That overbuilding is usually of very little interest to anyone so I'm glad that this can happen. I don't think it's overpowering at all. Just gives some people more interest in NOT letting that happen maybe.

QBert80 wrote:
Some of the elements of the expansion didn't sit well with me, and this was one of them. Also, none of the new buildings seemed useful, with the exception of the one that turns one of each piece of merchandise into 9 VPs, which seemed okay, not great. Probably more effort than it's worth. I like the new bills, but the random boons provided by the President's car added to the complexity of the game without adding much else.

I have to say that your opinion appears to be in the minority. Most of the opinions I've read (and I agree) is that it's unthinkable to play the game without the expansion because of everything it adds. Oh, and that building you're talking about is probably one of my LEAST favorite of the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.