Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok here is the scoop...

I am in a CD Swap on this other website ( music related ) where we all make a mix disc from scratch and ship it off to another person... sort of like a music math trade except you don't know where your disc will come from or what music will be on it.

This year they are doing it as a contest where the best mix is voted on. Mainly for bragging rights.

For over a week have been trying to figure out what I will submit. Last night in the shower I had an idear. I am going to make a movie soundtrack for a movie that doesn't really exist !

Here's where you come in... a hundred heads is better than one... and I am pressed for time. So this is what I have so far... and what I need input on.... have fun but TRY to take it seriously.

A Motion Picture Soundtrack

West of Tomorrow (working title that needs replaced - I think it has been used)

An Apocalyptic Romance by David Lynch ( possibly Cameron Crowe instead)

Starring - Vincent Gallo ( I like this ) & Naomi Watts Bjork ( I don't now like this )

With - Mike PattonGibby Hanes as El Mascarilla ( like the character name , not the actor so much - but must be an actor who is also a musician - ala Sting in Dune and now the actor as well)

so the above stuff I really just need for the album cover / liner notes type stuff.... I have a few song choices already.... need lots more.

GO !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Motion Picture Soundtrack - your 2 cents goes here !
I'm confused.

You want suggestions of what how based on what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like suggestions for the role of the lead female - Naomi Watts is possible but could be better - spritely hair is a must !

Also suggestion for the villian - El Mascarilla ( the deathmask ) - must be a musician... Mike patton ( Faith No More ) is my initial thought.

Also - suggestion for title of film.

And mainly ----- song suggestions ! based on this being a mind f#$k of a movie - romance / sci-fi / dystopian nightmare. Blade Runner meets True Romance meets Vanilla Sky.

I know this leaves it pretty wide open.

Oh, and if your thinking.. "this guy is off his rocker" .... I haven't seen that rocker for many days and nights. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should just put My Pal Foot Foot by The Shaggs on repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

will look into this one... I cannot listen to stuff at work, tonight i will be doing my research from home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how about gibby haynes for the villian?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peloquin17 wrote:
how about gibby haynes for the villian?

nice ! that sa winner !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bumping due to low response rate.... 'cmon peoples !!! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ann Magnuson
Bjork
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Ann Magnuson
Bjork

Bjork > Naomi ( for this role anyhow - I may still use Naomi in future roles of non-existent films )whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using some David Lynch songs on it?

What about Crispin Glover? Could do a clown theme with Lynch above:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarrrrggg - can't see that stuff on my lame ass work computer....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest "O Fortuna" by Carl Orff. However, make sure you get a version where they properly mic-ed the singers... some of the recordings might have sounded wonderful if you were actually in the concert hall at the time. Most of us weren't.

Has it been used before? Sure, but there's nothing better for epic tragedy, and it transcends genre.

If you don't mind constant profanity, I'd also suggest "Aenema" by Tool. If you do mind it, which I can totally understand, you can always try to find an edited version. Good luck with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroZilla wrote:
I would suggest "O Fortuna" by Carl Orff.

Or, the version by Sandy Bull (one of my fave oud, guitar, saz, banjo players)... this is he, solo banjo:

Another great soundtrack as cover is John Zorn's Big Gundown - jazz interpretations of Ennio Morricone - just check out the lineup on this one (OP mentions Mike Patton, he's on this one):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could William Shatner make an apperance? Common People style?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
I just have to comment on the fact that you're one of two other people I've ever known who've heard of Sandy Bull. And the first guy didn't even know who he was, he just had an album of his in his collection that he inherited. This guy was so ahead of his time, which pretty much means instant obscurity, but somehow his work survived to be re-released. A must-listen artist, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
I just have to comment on the fact that you're one of two other people I've ever known who've heard of Sandy Bull. And the first guy didn't even know who he was, he just had an album of his in his collection that he inherited. This guy was so ahead of his time, which pretty much means instant obscurity, but somehow his work survived to be re-released. A must-listen artist, in my opinion.

It is absolutely strange that he's not recognized. As he has been credited in bringing eastern music to the 60's crowd, popularizing stuff like Ravi Shankar... George Harrison claimed that the song Come Together was about Sandy Bull. I do occasionally see him on those Top 100 guitarists lists, somewhere near the bottom. He's pretty amazing and the fact that he duo'd with Billy Higgins on drums often makes his work all the more interesting to me as I love Higgins' work just as much. Maybe, like Nick Drake someone will use a Sandy Bull song in a stupid commercial and he'll be elevated to posthumous fame.

There is a documentary film about Sandy Bull that his daughter made. She only showed it twice. Once in NYC and also at Pleasant St Theater in Northampton MA. I saw it in Mass, the theater holds maybe 50 and it was full... Byron Coley read some poetry, Sandy's daughter then gave an intro to the film and then answered questions after, then Sonic Youth performed to close out the event. It was really cool. She said that the film was personal and that she had no plans to show it other than some gallery showings (that was my question,when can we see a DVD?). However, she did say that there is a bunch of old music that will be released that has not been heard before. Not sure who releasing it, but here's hoping! As far as the film, Sandy Bull's parents were also amazingly talented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:

He's not that obscure if I have it. I see his named dropped regularly. If you know who he is, then you see him around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just to follow up for anyone interested.... this is the final product

OMEGA DAWN - Motion Picture Soundtrack

A Future Love Story by David Lynch

Vincent Gallo Bjork

Gibby Haynes as El Mascarilla

Track List

1) Stellar Caprice by Swervedriver
2) Lucifer's Memory by Comets On Fire
3) Dry Valley by Sun City Girls
4) Last Boy on Earth by Kelli Ali
5) Anti Rock - Anti Joke by Alex Ross-Iver
6) Visions of L.A. by Slowdrive
7) Baby, I'm Just A Fool by Spiritualized
8) Death head by Kaki King
9) Drive/Feel So Sad by Spacemen 3
10) Empty Bottles by Magik Markers
11) Lucky Man by The Verve
12) Assassination of the Sun by The Flaming Lips
13) The Damned Air by Sun Ra

This CD is recorded in Sci-Fi.
For best results maintain an altered state while listening.

so, thats it !
this was pretty fun to make and a girl in the graphics dept. printed out full color CD cover and liner notes for me ! sweet !

of the songs I used - I had only ever heard 2 of the 13 songs and of the bands I used I had only ever heard of 6 of the 13...goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, the band is "Slowdive" not "Slowdrive".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

s.o.a.b.

LOL - FAIL !

uhhhg - checked my final copies and .....it's wrong on there to....

I need to start checking everything I attempt to do with you 1st....

either thator make you my arch-nemesis....

not sure which yet.... angrywhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

Track List

I approve of any mix with Sun Ra or Sun City Girls on it. Have you listened to the Uncle Jim album?

Magik Markers' Elisa Ambrogio and her boyfriend Ben Chasny (Six Organs of Admittance) are my neighbors. I have seen Magik Markers a number of times...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

Track List

I approve of any mix with Sun Ra or Sun City Girls on it. Have you listened to the Uncle Jim album?

Magik Markers' Elisa Ambrogio and her boyfriend Ben Chasny (Six Organs of Admittance) are my neighbors. I have seen Magik Markers a number of times...

Oh cool ! I listened to a bunch of Six Organs but couldn't decide on a particular song to use... Never heard of the Uncle Jim album...in fact I never heard of Sun City Girls prior to making this disc... just stumbled on their stuff while I was surfin for music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

oh, and BTW - Thanks ! will be able to fix this in time thanks to you !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.