BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Using $5.99 bar mats from Artscow to upgrade your games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artscow has a great deal right now for custom 16" x 8.5" bar mats (US$5.99 shipped). They're made out of fabric/rubber material, similar to what is used for mouse pads. I took advantage of this offer to make the quality game board I've been wanting to have for a long time for Liar's Dice, to replace the paper printout I've been using over the last couple of years for Perudo. Full details for how I made these can be found in this article.

It works perfectly for Liar's Dice, but I'm sure that these bar mats have wonderful potential for application in other areas of board games, or to upgrade particular game components that could really use a lift. Does anyone have any ideas for other specific games that these Artscow bar mats could be used to improve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Singleton
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like any game with individual boards, like Puerto Rico or The Princes of Florence could use these to keep tiles from moving around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why in the world do you need a mat / board for Perudo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish Vegas Showdown had such mats, but I fear these are not large enough to handle 11X17
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this!

I just though of about 1000 ways to use these...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

I find the board stops quite a few people from getting confused. Especially if drinking is involved.

Look at the board and you know the current set up. And the rules become simpler for people with a visual non-verbal learning style. "You need to increase the number showing on the die, move the die up higher on the track, or both"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Andrews
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
I wish Vegas Showdown had such mats, but I fear these are not large enough to handle 11X17

Genius suggestion! Do they make larger mats? Because I would be all over getting better Vegas Showdown mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or are the positions of the 1s on the bidding track wrong?

A bid of a single one is higher than two sixes, but lower than three twos, is it not?

Huh... it appears I've been playing it wrong all this time.

Ahhh... You're using the bid order for Bluff. The printed rules for Perudo have a different progression. I didn't know this until now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like almost the perfect size for Descent player mats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smith
United States
South Saint Paul
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beloveserve wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

Genius suggestion! Do they make larger mats? Because I would be all over getting better Vegas Showdown mats.

I just followed the link and found that the Plate Mat is 18" X 12" ($12.99). So, it seems this would work for your needs.

http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/plate-mat/plate-mat-384
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Andrews
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HAHA. Just did the same thing. Thanks for the help GamesR Fun. I would love to take advantage of the bar mat (16" x 8.5") sale at $5.99. However, might be more editing then possible. I made a request on the Vegas Showdown page. Someone has already made a great file w the player mat as pdf. Hopefully someone who knows how to do photo editing will see my request and can adjust it to fit that size mat?

At $12.99 x 5 players = might be too expensive for me sadly. I like the game, but don't play it enough to justify that cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smith
United States
South Saint Paul
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beloveserve wrote:
HAHA. Just did the same thing. Thanks for the help GamesR Fun.

No problem, always looking out for my neighbors across the border. Plus, us Twins fans and Jays fans gotta stick together against the those bully's on the East coast. Aside from the fact that your guys pounded my guys last year. You're welcome for the batting practice bye the way.

Good luck in your search for player mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Andrews
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate it. Twins always have a dear place in all Canadian's hearts. You got our boy Justin Morneau (I realize the injuries have sucked but he is awesome when healthy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also don't overlook the 20" by 30" pillowcases for large game boards! I printed one for The Legend of Robin Hood, and the fabric folds up so I can store everything in a really small box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beloveserve wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

They have five different sizes, up to as large as 29"x 19". Other available sizes include 24" x 16", 32" x 8.5", and 18" x 12". See this page for the full range:
http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/mat

Just be sure to use the Special Sale link to get the coupons for the cheaper prices rather than the regular prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Andrews
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
beloveserve wrote:

At $12.99 x 5 players = might be too expensive for me sadly. I like the game, but don't play it enough to justify that cost.

Thanks Enders Game. But sadly I think I can't justify the cost.

I would like to purchase a larger size (I checked w the guy who made the file on BGG player mats for Vegas - however the smallest size that would work is 16" x 10.25" so the "plate mats" would be needed)

= $65 +tax +shipping (aka. too expensive)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis wrote:
Is it just me, or are the positions of the 1s on the bidding track wrong?

A bid of a single one is higher than two sixes, but lower than three twos, is it not?

Huh... it appears I've been playing it wrong all this time.

Ahhh... You're using the bid order for Bluff. The printed rules for Perudo have a different progression. I didn't know this until now.

That's right. The value of ace/wild conversion bids does differ in the rule sets of various editions of the game:

Bluff: 1 of anything, 1 ace/wild, 2 of anything, 3 of anything, 2 ace/wild, 4 of anything, 5 of anything
Perudo: 1 of anything, 2 of anything, 1 ace/wild, 3 of anything, 4 of anything, 2 ace/wild, 5 of anything

Along with many others, I prefer the “Bluff” order of bid values, since a “2 ace/wild” is more probable than a “4 of anything,” and this order best fits the statistical odds of probability. Otherwise it is possible to bid an easier ace conversion bid, whereas each successive bid should be less likely.

For more discussion on this, see: Common rule variant: Value of wild/ace conversion bids

For a comprehensive list of other common rule variations, see: The Main Rule Variations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

I find the board stops quite a few people from getting confused. Especially if drinking is involved.

Look at the board and you know the current set up. And the rules become simpler for people with a visual non-verbal learning style. "You need to increase the number showing on the die, move the die up higher on the track, or both"

Do you absolutely need a board to play? No.

Is the game better with a board? That depends. Certainly it can be incredibly helpful with newer players, or if you want to play without thinking too hard. It's mainly useful to figure out the correct places for the ace/wild bids (which can vary depending on which rule variation you're using, and can confuse newer players), and to give a visual indication of the current game-state and the choices available for advancing the bid. I'm always introducing the game to new people, so for me the answer to this question is yes.

There's a good reason why many editions of the game do come with a board. But if you're playing with an established and experienced group that's already played it 295 times, then no, you probably don't need a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.