Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love SM: Civilization, but it really feels more like a war game to me. Are there any civ games that feel more like I'm governing a civilization and have lots of player interaction, diplomacy, and politics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Civilization (and the Advanced Civilization expansion) is more about keeping your civilization going than warfare. Negotiating borders is usually better than fighting and losing units. Trading provides player interaction with a little politicking during the calamity phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
The original Civilization (and the Advanced Civilization expansion) is more about keeping your civilization going than warfare. Negotiating borders is usually better than fighting and losing units. Trading provides player interaction with a little politicking during the calamity phase.

+1 to this. Bear in mind the play time for this game is 6+ hours, recommends 4+ players and is long out of print and will set you back $150+ for a playable copy. Best to find someone who has it (like me) and offer to play with them. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
casualgod wrote:
rshipley wrote:

+1 to this. Bear in mind the play time for this game is 6+ hours, recommends 4+ players and is long out of print and will set you back $150+ for a playable copy. Best to find someone who has it (like me) and offer to play with them. arrrh

If you watch auctions, Civilization's value is somewhere around $40-60, so not too bad, you just have to find one. If you want the Advanced Civilization expansion that'll be some big bucks. This is the kind of game that lends itself well to convention play as it's very involved and someone probably has a copy they want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Age of Renaissance, hard to find but one best game ever made!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viki3m wrote:
I highly recommend Age of Renaissance, hard to find but one best game ever made!

I like AoR, but disagree in regards to diplomacy and politics. You go for the board spaces matching the goods in your hand and no amount of politicing is going to get someone to give it to you, nor can they. You want something in AoR, you have to take it by force. Alliances arent really an option either. If your "ally" has 3 spice spaces, and you have a spice card, the "alliance" is worthless to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu B.
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most heavy player interaction, diplomacy and politics civ game must be Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). The game force diplomacy and politics with trades and votes on laws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
beam1306 wrote:
The most heavy player interaction, diplomacy and politics civ game must be Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). The game force diplomacy and politics with trades and votes on laws.

Already on my Christmas list

I've heard it's incredibly complicated, though. I was hoping there was something a bit simpler...

How is through the ages as far as politics, complexity, and diplomacy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Emperor maybe?

Through the Ages is pretty complex, doesn't really have politicking and diplomacy among the players though. I don't think it'll have the right feel for what you're looking for, although I love it for the civ building game it is.

I heard Galactic Emperor is like a light TI3, but I don't know, never played either. But GE was on my radar for a while, because I know there will never be enough time for TI3 in my life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
rshipley wrote:

Or find someone who simply has a copy to trade... like me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Brobyskov
Denmark
Odense sv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
casualgod wrote:
rshipley wrote:

Or find someone who simply has a copy to trade... like me

or if you dont mind games on the internet use this adress whistle
civ.rol-play.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.