Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened to me again. I found a game that was not in the DB. I typed all of the info about the game that I knew and then ALAS I reached the Publisher area only to find out that the publisher was new to the DB. I had to add the new publisher and then save all of my typing of the info regarding the game until the PUBLISHER was approved. Perhaps their might be an way of temporarily adding the game to a place where it can be held until the publisher is approved. I know I should have looked up the publisher first before adding the game but that seems to me to be counter-intuitive. I get excited about finding a game not in the db and then I have to wait until the publisher is approved.

A way to add the publisher to the db while in fact adding the game to the DB seems more appropriate. The wording when adding a game actually says NEW PUBLISHER but that really cannot be used or at least I don't think it can be used until a new publisher is actually added to the site first.

Heck maybe there is a way to do what I am asking about now, that I am not aware of. If there is please tell me how to do it, if there is no way then as part of adding the game to the site a simple add new publisher should be included, instead of forcing a separate addition for a new publisher being added first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You can submit the publisher just prior to submitting the game, and then link to that pending publisher in the game submission. A game entry will generally not be held up for lack of "header" information like publisher and designer, but a publisher entry needs to be attached to a database item before it is approved. By linking the pending publisher to the item the item can be approved, and the the publisher can be approved because it is attached to a valid item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
shake No, as I've gone through the same, exacting, exasperating procedure also, and it is 'doubly difficult' when you have nothing further than their GAME, or 'components' these created, and even a 'catalog' for these, in which to start some 'basis' about that. It were "as if" they react against these inclusions with an exclusionary demeanor of which WE-all 'contributors', are unable to comprehend that attitude. Yes, they'd "Like" everything to have 1000 ratings from the "get go", while you HAVE to achieve the submission 1st, before anything were capable on garnering such to begin with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
You can submit the publisher just prior to submitting the game, and then link to that pending publisher in the game submission. A game entry will generally not be held up for lack of "header" information like publisher and designer, but a publisher entry needs to be attached to a database item before it is approved. By linking the pending publisher to the item the item can be approved, and the the publisher can be approved because it is attached to a valid item.

I approve most of the company submissions on all three domains
I wait for the linked Item to be approved, not just submitted

reason: not all pending submissions or submisions returned for revision get approved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is one gotcha

you may have to wait a short time (10 seconds to a few minutes)
between the submission of the game or publisher before you can link the new submission to the older submission

if you can't link one to the other, leave an admin note giving the title of the other entry (game or publisher)
we can then link the publisher to the game submission
... it much better if the users link them

100's of users are able to work with this system, really

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GROGnads wrote:
shake No, as I've gone through the same, exacting, exasperating procedure also, and it is 'doubly difficult' when you have nothing further than their GAME, or 'components' these created, and even a 'catalog' for these, in which to start some 'basis' about that. It were "as if" they react against these inclusions with an exclusionary demeanor of which WE-all 'contributors', are unable to comprehend that attitude. Yes, they'd "Like" everything to have 1000 ratings from the "get go", while you HAVE to achieve the submission 1st, before anything were capable on garnering such to begin with!

Robert-

It's good that you chimed in here, as Ron works on an entry for items just like this called Unidentified Game. If you're still researching information on GaLakTik TakTik, you might put a post about it in there to see if anyone has any more information about it. As it stands, a catalog list of miniatures and a notice that a rule-set was available and possibly exists but for which there is no information about the game other than its supposed existence is not a good structural foundation for creating a BGG entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott

I guess that is my point. I am going to add the new publisher anyway. I know that and you know that. Having the ability to add, both the game and the publisher at the same time seems to me to make much more sense. What logic would suggest that before I add a new game into the DB that I have to check to see if the PUBLISHER is already there. I am going to add that publisher in as I add the game in. I know who the publisher is and in a minute that publisher will be part of the GEEK.

Now, if you want to have it so that you need to add both the publisher and the game at the same time and if you do not add the publisher in, the game will not get approved into the db that has some logic and certainly would be acceptable.

This way seems to me to be; we do it this way because we have always done it this way and a better simpler idea can't possibly be added! because that's not the way we do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
GROGnads wrote:

Robert-

It's good that you chimed in here, as Ron works on an entry for items just like this called Unidentified Game. If you're still researching information on GaLakTik TakTik, you might put a post about it in there to see if anyone has any more information about it. As it stands, a catalog list of miniatures and a notice that a rule-set was available and possibly exists but for which there is no information about the game other than its supposed existence is not a good structural foundation for creating a BGG entry.

Robert and once you get to UNIDENTIFIED GAMES if you look at the UNIDENTIFIED GEEK LIST there you will see all of the research that I and others have done on a number of games. (probably more than 50 as I write this). Please add your game and any research (information you have about it) and we can see if together we can't get the game into the DB where it belongs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stargate wrote:
there is one gotcha

between the submission of the game or publisher before you can link the new submission to the older submission

if you can't link one to the other, leave an admin note giving the title of the other entry (game or publisher)

Bob I added the publisher for what will be a new game into the Db more than an hour ago and it still has not been approved. That is my point, it could have gone in along with the game and both of them could have been accepted at the same time, and we wouldn't have to go through this ever again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thanks, yet NO, and I'll just let "someone else" do that whenever they get around to this, as that tends on being the predominant 'attitude' around here, or perhaps, it even shan't eventually then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyfife wrote:
stargate wrote:
there is one gotcha

Bob I added the publisher for what will be a new game into the Db more than an hour ago and it still has not been approved. That is my point, it could have gone in along with the game and both of them could have been accepted at the same time, and we wouldn't have to go through this ever again

Ron
there is no way to simultaneously approve the game and company
on my admin screen, I have a menu of over 80 submission and correction links

the company queue is currently 353 submissions
at 25 submissions per page

before approving a company submission, I look for duplictes

I have to cut this short
I have gotten times out 3 times trying to type this
I am also going out for the evening

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyfife wrote:
I guess that is my point. I am going to add the new publisher anyway. I know that and you know that. Having the ability to add, both the game and the publisher at the same time seems to me to make much more sense. What logic would suggest that before I add a new game into the DB that I have to check to see if the PUBLISHER is already there. I am going to add that publisher in as I add the game in. I know who the publisher is and in a minute that publisher will be part of the GEEK.

You don't need to wait for the publisher to be approved. In the "Add Boardgame" menu, you can select non-approved publishers, too.

You are in the process of adding a new game. You realized that the publisher isn't in the database yet. You open another tab in your browser to submit the publisher. Then you switch back to your "Submit Game" tab and connect the publisher to your game info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werner

Thanks I will try that. If it works you have solved my dilemma. Merry Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Werner more-clearly stated what I was trying to get across in my original message. You can submit a publisher, and then submit a game and attach that pending publisher without the publisher entry yet being approved. Then, the game can be approved, and the publisher submission can also be approved as it it attached to an approved game in the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott Now I think I understand!! For the game I submitted I will wait because I did already add the New Publisher in so I will wait for it to be accepted and then add the game in again

Merry Christmas to you and yours

Ron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I've had this happen to me, and what I do is open a new tab in my browser when I realize the publisher isn't in the DB, submit the publisher, and then just go back to the tab where I'm entering my game submission and link in my now-pending publisher entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.