Subject: Would this be a fair description? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Dirt
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
I've never played this, but from reading the reviews and various threads here it sounds like it could be called a mixture of Ticket to Ride, and Acquire. Would that be even vaguely accurate?

I'm really hoping to get this for Christmas, but we'll see what Santa brings.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey W
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi

Here is what I can tell you. Airlines Europe is nothing like Ticket to Ride to me. The only thing that is the same is the way the draw cards are setup. In TTR you are trying to connect routes in order to gain victory points and that's it. In Airlines Europe you are adding planes to increase the value of stock in the airline in which you own stock. You have only one choice to make each turn and only one, so choose carefully. Sometimes you really only have one choice. Way more strategy than TTR I think, but very streamlined, therefore very easy to learn.

I have never played Aquire and so not sure how to compare to this game, but I believe this is also a stock game.

I have heard from others that it is a re-vamp of Union Pacific using planes instead of trains. Again never played this.

I own TTR as do many others, but I would rather play Airlines Europe than TTR, not because TTR is a bad game (it isn't), but rather I like the decision making that AE creates. Check out the Drive-Thru Review on this game and you will see what I mean.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/8210/airlines-europe/driv...

I am yet to find out if my family would agree. They do like TTR and so this would make my day if they like AE better so I can play it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am not familiar enough with Acquire to draw a comparison. But it is by the same designer as TTR and a "step up" in my opinion. You connect routes, collect cards. Scoring and "ownership" is different - which may be where the Acquire analogy comes in. I like the game a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It's definitely nothing like ticket to ride. In fact the board has almost no importance in the game play. It is really just about collecting stock and building up the companies you control. Is that like Acquire? I don't think so. The stocks are open, there are no mergers. I don't think it is like either one. That said, I really enjoy this game. It can be learned easily, most people will be able to pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only things AE and TtR have in common is how easy they are to learn to play and the look of the game. I was delighted with how much fun it is and ecstatic when my husband said it's the best game I've found yet!

I'm sorry to say I haven't played Acquire yet either so I can't give an opinion on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your description is fair. It has elements of Acquire, but with a presentation comparable to Ticket to Ride. Because of how it looks and how it has the same designer, my friends called it "Ticket to Fly" before they played it, but don't call it that much anymore. I hope Santa brings it to you - it's quite a bit of fun. If you like the stock element, but wish players had more of an ability to manipulate the board, try Chicago Express - it's similar but deeper and more deterministic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
It has the same 'feel' as TtR, but plays completely differently. When I say the same 'feel', I mean that it has elements in common with TtR - set collecting, the 5 face up draw cards and one draw pile, same designer, acquiring routes (although you only place 1 airplane of a colour per route). So in that respect it 'feels' like TtR. The airplanes are owned by everyone, but you are attempting to gain the most shares in a company. It is a really good game and well worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrdirt73 wrote:
...it sounds like it could be called a mixture of Ticket to Ride, and Acquire. Would that be even vaguely accurate?Thanks,
There are specific aspects that can connect back to each of those games, and it is easy shorthand for other threads to mention them as a reference point. But I've never at all thought I was playing "a mixture" of them. It stands quite apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question from the OP. I can give you a quick thought after four plays of AE in a "few word" comparison between TtR and AE.

AE has much more strategy and depth and richness of gameplay, IMHO. But do you know what? TtR is more fun, for me anyway. Nothing at all in slight of AE and I think AE is an overall "better" game ... and while I enjoyed all four plays immensely, TtR is more fun. Which is why I play games, at least.

Standard disclaimer ... YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Dirt
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Well, I did get this for Christmas, and have really enjoyed it so far. It's my wife's new favorite game, so it has that going for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Dirt
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
jwoodall wrote:
Having played it, no. I thought it might be before I played it, but I think Chicago Express is more like Ticket to Ride mixed with Acquire even though the "destination tickets" in that game are open. Routes in AE are nowhere near as important for most of the airlines, since they really have no "destination tickets." Beyond that, blocking wouldn't be as prevalent because of joint ownership, even if it were easy to do.

My wife really enjoys it too along with Ticket to Ride and Acquire. So maybe I should ask her opinion.

Edit: Okay, I asked her. She says she doesn't really consider it like TTR. More like a different kind of Acquire where you have more choice in your tile placement (obviously) and she enjoys it more.

So that's two no votes to the original question - though we each like Airlines Europe a whole lot. I prefer Acquire, she prefers AE. We both prefer Chicago Express to each depending on our play group. Thinkers vs. more "funsy" people, as she elaborated.

After having played it a few times, I agree it really isn't a good description of it. However, I do think that there are enough similarity between them that fans of those games will like AE. I know I do.

I'll have to check out Chicago Express.

For our game group, the only comment I got regarding comparing it to Acquire is that one person liked the way you get stock in Acquire much better than in AE. In AE the stock that is available for you is random vs. being able to get exactly what you want.

For me, I like that difference, but to each his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Ticket to Ride because of the fun and the tension it brings to the table.
Airlines Europe brings the tension of TtR to a higher level. You are constantly on your toes waiting for the scoring card to appear and carefully watching other players' strategies unfold. This is a brilliant game you enjoy from start to finish. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have Aquire from when I was a kid and my family plays TtR a lot. I think it is fair to say that AE is a mix of both games. The main differences between AE and Aquire is that your moves in Aquire are limited by the tiles you hold. Also in Aquire you want to hold the most stock in failing companies (that will be acquired by larger companies) while in AE you want the most stock in the most successful companies. My family was not too thrilled with Aquire, but they seem to like AE almost as much as TrR. I just purchased AE at GenCon so we have not played it too many times yet and really only once using all of the rules correctly. (Oops)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.