Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
While I understand that the actions in the Action Phase can be played in any order, are you limited to only one instance of each?

For instance, can you play some characters, buy a new character with the XP, play a maneuver to draw, and play the characters that you draw?

To me, the "You may perform each of the following during this phase in any order." doesn't necessarily allow for doing the same action twice, and "Can be performed multiple times." could still describe that all action types are clustered together.

(Both for how do y'all play, as well as hoping that the BanDai people get on here and look at the questions to form the FAQ or v2 rules.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you manage to find a maneuver that lets you draw cards, you're doing pretty well (there aren't any in the base game). That particular detail aside, you could for example:

Play Data (draw 2 cards, put 2 cards back on top)
Play one of the cards you just drew (say, Warp Speed)
Play another copy of one of the cards you just drew (say, another Warp Speed) [EXCEPT for the Borg Scenario which explicitly forbids playing duplicates]

This all works because nothing in the rules says you can't play duplicates and "multiple times" plus "in any order" clearly indicates that you can go ABACAAAAABDA for example where A - D represent different things you can do such as "play a card from your hand" "search" "explore" "buy"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
There's Diagnostic Check among the starting cards that lets you discard to draw. On turn 2 if you play 2 lieutenants and buy a 4-cost guy, then Diagnostic check hoping to draw the guy you purchased, that seems like the sort of thing that will come up fairly commonly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes, I forgot about DC, which does let you draw (but doesn't net you any cards, which ability can be found on almost no cards, although Transporter is pretty close).

Yeah, you can DC to dump a bunch of cards and then play the ones you got...in fact that's a perfect example of why you can play the cards you get, otherwise why would anyone ever bother with playing a diagnostic check?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Because the first thing you do can be DC... at that point, if you're limited to AAAACCCCBBBBBBBBDDD (to use your system) you can still do anything you draw. I'm not sure where you're seeing that ABACCDAAE is obviously allowed. What part are you believing implies that's true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because if "I can play actions in any order" and "I can do action X multiple times" then you would need an additional clause "multiple times, but only consecutively" to imply the other. Don't read things into the rules that aren't there.

You can *always* play a card or buy a card on your turn. (You may have no cards in hand and no XP to buy with, but they are still otherwise legal actions.) Oh, and repair (which may do nothing if your ship is at full HP or you have no XP). I suppose that also leaves "end turn" as an action that you must do on your turn (it may be done for you, e.g., if your flagship is destroyed).

You're welcome to go over to the Bandai forums (faster response time) if you don't believe me, but this question has never come up in any of the games I've played or taught, because it is the logical corollary to "actions in any order" plus "same action multiple times."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the more complicated plays I've made was similar to the OP's question:

- Played 3x Commanders to my bridge.
- Purchased Jean-Luc Picard (promo) from star base for 9 XP.
- Played Beverly Crusher; put Jean-Luc Picard on top of my deck (and put another solid character under him).
- Played Thei; drew Jean-Luc Picard (and allowed an opponent to draw a card).
- Played Jean-Luc Picard; gained a Commander to my hand.
- Played a Commander. Healed my ship by 3 points.
- Explored: Obtained a nice ship via diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't site a page in the rulebook for reference, but Carl and Jeff are correct. The game author has clarified this. I believe there is an entry somewhere in this forum as well as in the Bandai forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.