chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone has played both this game and Card Football I would like to read your opinion on this game in relation to the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both, and though I did enjoy my one play of Card Football: Premiere Edition, there really is no comparison.

Third and Long: The Football Card Game has all the football you can pack into a 60 minute game. It feels right, it looks right, it plays right.

Card Football: Premiere Edition is a very, very light game, with minimal control, and we had to work hard to evoke the feel of an afternoon on the gridiron.

Card Football uses what is essentially a standard deck of cards. 3rd and Long uses cards specifically designed for the game.

3rd and Long includes individual players. Card Football does not.

Card Football comes in a largish box. 3rd and Long fits into a standard double card box.

Third and Long: The Football Card Game wins, 35 - 10 . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the very quick and excellent response. I mostly play simulation type football board games but wanted a casual game to play against others. So I got Card Football but have yet to play it. From reading the rule books of both, my thoughts were just what you confirmed. I guess I will have to have two card based football games. Oh well, at least I can use the nice Card Football field for use with the sims.
Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love football sims - Statis Pro Football is far and away my favorite - and Third and Long gives that "every player, every play" feel without the 3-4 hour play time investment.

Nothing *wrong* with Card Football. It all about what is right with Third and Long . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
I love football sims - Statis Pro Football is far and away my favorite - and Third and Long gives that "every player, every play" feel without the 3-4 hour play time investment.

Nothing *wrong* with Card Football. It all about what is right with Third and Long . . .

I was able to pick this up at my local game shop. Thanks for the rec.
For a quicker full sim than Statis Pro you may want to look into

http://www.downeygames.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=produ...

or

http://www.downeygames.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=produ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
I have played both, and though I did enjoy my one play of Card Football: Premiere Edition, there really is no comparison.

Third and Long: The Football Card Game has all the football you can pack into a 60 minute game. It feels right, it looks right, it plays right.

Card Football: Premiere Edition is a very, very light game, with minimal control, and we had to work hard to evoke the feel of an afternoon on the gridiron.

...Third and Long: The Football Card Game wins, 35 - 10 . . .

While I'll agree that 3rd and Long is the more "football-y" game and Card Football is a lighter game, I don't agree that there's minimal control in Card Football.

It's a hand management game. There's minimal control if you don't manage your hand well and just throw down cards. We've had very exciting games of Card Football that felt like the game was on the line. Fun game.

3rd and Long still wins, but I'd make it 28-21.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.