Popular Tags: [View All]
david andrew
United Kingdom
markfield
leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking for some clarificaation please.

1. Can a general use his rally ability to save the hit on his own unit in an all out attack.

- I suspect not here - as rules say on pg 30 "whenever a unit is hit by an enemy attack you may try to negate the hit"

on the grounds that you are doing the attacking.

2.In the case where 2 hits are inflicted on say 2 fresh hoplite units with a leader -

Are the 2 hits designated first - ie one on the lead unit and one on the rear unit- then the general saves them by rallying, or is it (again what i suspect), that the general will just try to negate the first hit and if successfull can he then try to negate the second hit.

thanks for the help

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
1. No, generals may never rally hits suffered due to their own side's all-out attacks, as stated at the very top of p.31.

2. With a double hit, the first hit is assigned and a rally attempt made if possible and desired. If the rally attempt succeeds, the second hit is applied to the same lead unit, and another rally attempt may be declared if desired. If the initial rally attempt fails, the hit takes effect, the lead unit may be replaced if desired, and then another rally attempt may be made to negate the second hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david andrew
United Kingdom
markfield
leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I thought was the answer, and thanks for the clarification. Having said that in this instance where there are 2 hoplite units I thought that it would be a compulsory attempt for the leader to rally with no choice in the matter as per rule 9.1.

As an added question i take it the cavalry attacking on the edge tiles can include any 2 edge tiles including your own or opposition base line tiles not just the lateral field edge tiles?

Really enjoying getting into this awesome game. It has taken me a few plays now and although the rules are outwardly simple they still manage to give an incredible depth.

thanks for the help

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Prohibitions trump compulsory rally attempts, so hoplite leaders can never rally their own side's all-out attacks, or indeed enemy hits on levy hoplite units.

A similar nuance which deserves clarification is that hoplites are not required to make all-out attacks against scythed chariots or if they attain a +3 differential against light infantry which meet the conditions to ignore the second hit (since in either case there would be no payoff for the all-out attack). However, hoplites attacking a lone spent unit must still attack all-out on a differential of +3, even though the second hit will probably be wasted in this case unless the first hit is rallied.

All 14 edge tiles count for the purposes of the cavalry field edge bonus against HI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.