Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean if it's going to have its own expansion line of products that will be different than 1st edition, I don't see why this edition shouldn't get its own entry.

Are there any reviews on how this version plays? Is it better or worse? Just different?

thanks

Is it worth it for those of us who have 1st edition plus the expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at the other threads in this folder? There have been at least a dozen in the last few months discussing these same questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Have you looked at the other threads in this folder? There have been at least a dozen in the last few months discussing these same questions.

well I looked at the first 4 or 5 pages and didn't see anything so sorry if I missed that.

How about any feedback on the actual game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blustar wrote:
How about any feedback on the actual game?

Hardly anyone other than playtesters has played 2nd edition yet. It's just started hitting the online merchants this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blustar wrote:
I mean if it's going to have its own expansion line of products that will be different than 1st edition, I don't see why this edition shouldn't get its own entry.

Are there any reviews on how this version plays? Is it better or worse? Just different?

thanks

Is it worth it for those of us who have 1st edition plus the expansion?
My 2 cents after I just played my first official 2nd edition game (SPMV in 8! Dale, HD, Pelagir, Edoras, DA, The Shire, [Pelagir], MT, GH, [The Shire], WR, and a very likely [MT] as Aragorn was thrashing around with a giant army!) as well as being a "playtester". If I had to choose from better/worse/different I go with different. No idea what the criteria are for bgg entries, but I suspect even if there are separate entries, people are still going to post in the wrong forum (at least that's what history says). As to whether to buy or not, well obviously that's up to you; If you've got lots of $$, then absolutely because, in spite of the revision, it's still one of the best games around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I say they should share an entry. For some games like The Napoleonic Wars / The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) it is a pain to have two entries, because most discussion are relevant for both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:
I say they should share an entry. For some games like The Napoleonic Wars / The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) it is a pain to have two entries, because most discussion are relevant for both games.

But with the few rules tweaks, is discussion relevant for both games?

I think the games are the same enough that they should have one entry. But it seems like bgg is getting to the point where they some way of filtering that entry for different versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme xD
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (second edition) have, I don't see why WoR can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My issue would mainly be that the expansions are going to differ from the one out now and the game will become quite different even after just the first exansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the second edition should definitely have its own BGG entry. The largest number of foru posts are under Rules, and the answer to many rules questions will be different for the two editions. Any strategy articles will be largely relevant to only one edition. It would be good when reading a review to know which edition was being reviewed: I recently saw a post saying "If there's a dominant Shadow strategy that unbalances the game, I won't buy it", and it would be a shame for this person to be influenced by a weakness in the first edition which (I hope!) is not present in the second edition. Just about the only forum posts I can think of that will be equally relevant for both editions would be posts about painting the miniatures.

If there are two entries, some things will get posted in the wrong edition, and those will be confusing. If there is one entry, virtually all entries will be posted without mentioning which edition they are talking about, and virtually all entries will be confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Manes
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to double-thumb Andy's post above.

Also, for purely selfish reasons, I'd like to see them split: My subscription to War of The Ring forums is nearly useless these days since most, if not all, the recent posts are for 2nd ed. Even if a post for 1st was made, I might pass over it in the sea of "Is it here yet?" threads. For me, a person w/no interest in 2nd ed at this point, the signal-to-noise ratio for 1st ed on the forum seems pretty low.

As for precedent, I see Runebound has 1st and 2nd edition entries, as does the Twilight Imperium family and Descent. Even the Catan series, Settlers, Simply, Gallery, and Travel edition have their own entries, in spite of being very nearly the same game (caveat: I only own Settlers, not the others. My assumption that they are similar is based on a whopping 10 min search of the reviews).

However, merely "revised" editions, like Arkham Horror share the same entry.

It seems like if something is labeled "2nd edition," it get's its own entry. Whether that is conducive to talking about the specific family of games is something else.

Edit: Removed line that could be interpreted as snarky. No snark was intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Engelhardt
Germany
flag msg tools
Happy Easter!
badge
Now go eat some chocolate!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to wait till we know more about the first expansion first. If it isn't a mere re-implementation of BOTFA, there really needs to be a separate article.

Oh my, I see three entries for what is essentially one game in the top 30...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sofa Chair
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malzwei wrote:
I'd like to wait till we know more about the first expansion first. If it isn't a mere re-implementation of BOTFA, there really needs to be a separate article.

Oh my, I see three entries for what is essentially one game in the top 30...

Based on what I've heard, the expansion will be different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.