Subject: IndieGoGo vs Kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
e schild

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, hate IndieGoGo - and the reasons are simple:

1. You get the money even if the campaign is unsuccessful. That leaves people hanging and is altogether stupid. If you're using it as a preorder platform, even Kickstarter is better.

2. The majority of the stuff on IndieGoGo seems like scammy trash. It simply doesn't have the reputability of Kickstarter (which, as far as I know has had one colossal trainwreck - diaspora - and everything else has gone well).

3. IndieGoGo has absolutely zero quality control. Not even sure the site itself has quality control as the design and filtering is a mess.

According to your BGG entry, 1/10/2012 you're starting an IndieGoGo campaign, any chance you can swap this over to Kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
A Thief's Fortune - 18 June 2018 on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
schild wrote:
1. You get the money even if the campaign is unsuccessful. That leaves people hanging and is altogether stupid. If you're using it as a preorder platform, even Kickstarter is better.

Our production is not based on our fund-raising campaign. The project will move on even if we collect $1 so there is no problem and no risk for any of the supporters. Supporters will get the game and their promos as promised regardless of how well the project does. In addition indiegogo accepts paypal which is what many people use.

schild wrote:
2. The majority of the stuff on IndieGoGo seems like scammy trash. It simply doesn't have the reputability of Kickstarter (which, as far as I know has had one colossal trainwreck - diaspora - and everything else has gone well).

The rest of Indiegogo's content has nothing to do with our project. Our production quality is top and I believe this has already been established with Drum Roll.

schild wrote:
3. IndieGoGo has absolutely zero quality control. Not even sure the site itself has quality control as the design and filtering is a mess.

Quality control in general doesn't affect this project. We have nothing to do with their quality control and we will not need their own promotion for the campaign. We have our own plan.

schild wrote:
According to your BGG entry, 1/10/2012 you're starting an IndieGoGo campaign, any chance you can swap this over to Kickstarter?

Kickstarter would be our no1 choice but unfortunately like many other things, it only available to US based companies and individuals. Setting up a US partnership to run the project for us involves endless paperwork and there are several tax issues involved.

The only reason for someone not to back a project on Indiegogo would be because the money they pay is taken right away. If the project didn't collect enough money to get funded they would risk their money. Since this is not the case for us there is no problem. As I said before, the project is scheduled to proceed regardless of the indiegogo campaign.

By supporting us there you just help us pay for even better artwork and components and of course fund other production we have scheduled for 2012.

Edits = typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
3pod wrote:

Kickstarter would be our no1 choice but unfortunately like many other things, it only available to US based companies and individuals

This is why I can't use Kickstarter either. I wish organisations like Kickstarter looked around them and realised that there are other countries in the world besides the US. And, in case folks are thinking that this is the start of an anti-American rant, not so, I am a member of a rare species, the pro-American European- yes, we do exist (even if only visible with a microscope)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Robles
United States
orlando
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Kickstarter are probably faced with a much more complex set of laws to legally fund projects outside of the US. I don't think it is any sort of ignorant America as capitol of the world thinking.

This post was helpful as I've never heard of IndieGoGo before. It might well be better suited to my own current project.

Completely unrelated to the topic but relevant to the game. Any plans to develop an expansion to increase the number of players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pattybenpatty wrote:
Any plans to develop an expansion to increase the number of players?

Well, it's possible, although 4 players is not a small number. We're also thinking of giving some solitaire rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm interested in helping out, today was the day you were supposed to put it on IGG, still putting it up there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJunon wrote:
i'm interested in helping out, today was the day you were supposed to put it on IGG, still putting it up there?

The Campaign has moved to the 10th of February since it will only last 30 days. The new date allows us to prepare more game material, works better with our promo campaign and gives the game's rulebook enough time online so that everyone can study it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Sperling
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
What's the link for IndieGoGo? I'd like to get on board with you guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure Konstantinos will post it far and wide when it is ready. Until then, you can also subscribe to Board game projects on IndieGoGo.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do.

The game's rulebook just went online.

You can find it here http://www.artipiagames.com/briefcase.html

Note that this is a pre-published version. (several illustrations and other details still missing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
https://rpggeek.com/blog/6320
badge
mb
Tangent:
schild wrote:
one colossal trainwreck - diaspora

Which diaspora? Social network or Traveller-esque RPG?

3pod wrote:

The game's rulebook just went online.

The rules fit on 5 well-spaced, illustrated pages? If you hadn't already raffled me a copy, I'd have just been sold on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only issue is that I can't make changes to my pledge, since my Paypal is immediately charged. Or is there a way around this? (Too afraid to experiment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
sot07 wrote:
We're also thinking of giving some solitaire rules.

Any news on this. I would be most interested

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Sakaloglou
Greece
Keratsini
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
sot07 wrote:
We're also thinking of giving some solitaire rules.

Any news on this. I would be most interested

Not yet, but we work on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.