Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Silent War» Forums » General

Subject: Ever sat down to a game intending to play it for ~4 years? I just did. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first bought Silent War a few years ago, I did so with the intention of one day playing out a full campaign in “real time” — i.e., one turn per real-world week. This past December 7, I began an attempt to do so. I’ve started a blog, A Long and Silent War, to track my progress (or lack thereof). Please stop by if you’d like to follow along (or hoot and jeer; whatever).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Very Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Portland
Germany
Worms
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So good luck for the first months in war with this ´42 malfunction torpedos, but also the nippon DD ASW´s were only light, ineffective weapons! :soblue:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman J
United Kingdom
Thurso
Caithness
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also tried to start the game twice: 2009 and 2010 and twice I've got to move to new house which force me to finish game earlier. So good luck to you.

And remember game year got only 48 weeks (12 months x 4 weeks) and the real year have 52 weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all, for the support.

Just posted the rundown on Turn 2. Not off to a great start.

A Long and Silent War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Miller
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice blog site and great descriptive writing! Steve and I often feel as if we are sitting across from players as the silent opponent and we very much enjoy reading game play rundowns. Good luck with your campaign!

Brien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guerin
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
pretty cool.
just got this game from my brother as a birthday gift. the system works really well. played 3 patrol modules first following in order. 0/0 for the first patrol, 2 ships sunk and 20,000 tons for the second and 0/0 for the third.
just started campaign #2. lots of contacts on turn 1 (3 tf), only 1 2000 ton maru sunk. just started week 3 - lined up some nice attacks but so far the 4th sub attacking this round sunk a 3000 ton maru.

excellent game so far, great mechanics, amazingly suspenseful. loving this. i checked out your blog and will be following it since it seems we both started a "campaign" fairly close together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wert
United States
Corydon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome, I will be reading it.
How many hours of actual gameplay does a full campaign run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guerin
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
last night i finished up week 3, dec 41. i think it took about 2+ hours to finish up all the patrols. sank 6 ships for nearly 20,000 tons. could have had more but really bad torpedo rolls. as i get more familiar with game mechanics could be quicker (i have combat pretty much figured out), but then more ships = more time to complete a turn.

on one patrol had a combat event (target lumbers into way), torpedo dud. hit a ship in the attack (damaged). in reattack 2 hits, damaged another ship, and finally sank the first damaged ship. that patrol could have netted 4 ships for 18,000 tons, rather than 1 at 3,000.

in week 4 just had the fall of manila, scrambling boats out to harbor. lost 2 subs (scuttled due to damage), but at least i get the fremantle base set up.

so, my guess is the campaign i'm playing will take nearly 100 hours. a full campaign would probably be 4x that. just a guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Rettel
Luxembourg
Dudelange
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,
I started a campaign game today.
So far (2 turns) I lost 2 subs and sank 6 ships with 28.000 tons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. Subscribing to this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
I just put in a pre-order for the reprint of SW.

Your blog helped tip me over the edge, so thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What an absolutely phenomenal blog. And I don't really follow blogs all that much.

Looking forward to reading through the the previous posts in more detail and then reading the continuing posts. Good stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.