Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Calahan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got DR to the table the other day. It was really fun and tense right up until the end.

There were several players all in the boss room. It pretty much went like this:

Player 1 beat the boss. Picks up the stone.
Player 2 kills player 1. Picks up the stone.
Player 3 kills player 2. Picks up the stone.
Player 4 kills Player 3. Picks up the stone.
4 and 5 duked it out for 2 turns and that was it.

It was pretty comical but kind of an anti-climactic way to end the game.

I'm sure we made newbie tactical errors but I'm pretty sure we followed all the rules correctly.

Given the way the PVP rules favor the attacker (no blocking for defender), I'm not sure I understand how anyone is supposed to survive once they pick up the stone (especially in a 5 player game).

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominick Skabeikis
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty much how our first game played out except nobody picked up the summoning stone. Everybody started killing each other right after the boss was defeated.

I agree with you, pretty comical but anticlimactic for sure.

I would liked to have seen some of the summoning powers used. Maybe next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Letting the attacker declare blocks is only a minor tactical advantage for the attacker - they get to control the pace of combat because they can elect that both sides take more or less damage, but they don't get any sort of numerical advantage over the defender. Any dice the attacker uses to block were hits that were going to hit the defender, since you both hit on the same die roll. So any blocks will remove a damage that both the attacker and defender were going to take.

If the defender has equivalent combat stats, you should see both the attacker and the defender taking similar amounts of damage in a fight.

Were you playing it that way? If not, it would be a substantial swing towards the attacker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
nobody picked up the summoning stone. Everybody started killing each other right after the boss was defeated.

This shouldn't have quite happened like this - the endgame does not begin until the stone is picked up, so players can only be knocked out, not eliminated. Unless you mean that all four players got KOed and then player 5 grabbed the stone and sprinted for the exit, which is certainly possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Calahan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yostage wrote:
they get to control the pace of combat because they can elect that both sides take more or less damage

Right, I understand. Maybe I should have phrased it "the rules favor whoever wants a bloodbath."

It does still seem like a pretty significant advantage for the attacker, though, in that they have the option to do just enough damage to kill the defender and block everything else.

I guess the lack of blocking options just heightened the sense of helplessness that each newly-minted summoner felt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pcal wrote:
Yostage wrote:
they get to control the pace of combat because they can elect that both sides take more or less damage

Right, I understand. Maybe I should have phrased it "the rules favor whoever wants a bloodbath."

It does still seem like a pretty significant advantage for the attacker, though, in that they have the option to do just enough damage to kill the defender and block everything else.

I guess the lack of blocking options just heightened the sense of helplessness that each newly-minted summoner felt.

But that only works if they have more health than the defender. Which after killing another opponent seems unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the middle of a game right now but logged on here to ask a rules question. I'm currently taking advantage of my skill of four and summoning ability to summon monsters two spaces away from me and running to them so that I can escape easily if they don't kill it, but if they do go to attack me, they have to fight the monster first.

My friends hate me.

Edit: And it worked! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominick Skabeikis
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yostage wrote:
Quote:
nobody picked up the summoning stone. Everybody started killing each other right after the boss was defeated.

This shouldn't have quite happened like this - the endgame does not begin until the stone is picked up, so players can only be knocked out, not eliminated. Unless you mean that all four players got KOed and then player 5 grabbed the stone and sprinted for the exit, which is certainly possible.

You are absolutely right! We definitely played that wrong. I guess I was so excited after the boss was killed that detail slipped my mind. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.