Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Crossposted from the Yahoo Group:

Just a quick question about Extinction. The rules state that you discard all mutation cards but neglects to mention what happens to Genotype cards. Since they can go to the fossil record we wondered if this applied to extinction well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and the answer from Phil:

Quote:
Rats! (i.e., advanced Morganucodonts). The rule that was left off of genotypes is that whenever you lose the genotype card, it goes into your fossil record.

This adds a sentence to 8.0a (genotype cards lost when re-sizing go into your fossil record), to 16.2a (genotypes going extinct go into your fossil record), and to Turn 20 on Example 20.0 (showing that the extinct chalicothere horse-gorilla goes into the fossil record). I have uploaded to the files section corrections to pdf page 5, 8, 10, and the living Word file that makes these corrections. Thanks Cole & Martin for pointing this out.

The living rules have been updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lanzing
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. That only completely changes the way I've been playing the game so far! I had been throwing genotypes away when species went extinct (often, as my last game featured three catastrophessurprise). I was ready to just write off the genotype cards as a fiddly, peripheral waste of space (and genes!), but now it looks like they deserve a second chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Momerath wrote:
Huh. That only completely changes the way I've been playing the game so far! I had been throwing genotypes away when species went extinct (often, as my last game featured three catastrophessurprise). I was ready to just write off the genotype cards as a fiddly, peripheral waste of space (and genes!), but now it looks like they deserve a second chance.

Right, and certain genotypes (I'm looking at you HSSS pigeons) very powerful as long as they can die out before the game ends. My girlfriend narrowly beat me in a game last night because a comet knocked out her over specialized pigeons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lanzing
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, so genotypes that don't go extinct also don't score? I would have guessed that all genotype cards you managed to acquire throughout the game counted towards your fossil record. Otherwise, the game is rewarding you for "killing your babies", which is weird and kind of creepy. What is this, Gloom?

I think I will play by my own rules, where genotype cards remaining at the end of the game are added to the fossil record. That seems more in keeping with the spirit of the game, if not the letter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And more from Phil (he's on it today!):

Quote:
Genotypes remain in play are not scored. Presumably players would prefer to size-up to fossilize a HSSS genotype, but only if the loss of husking and flight did not destroy more points then it gains. If a animal does not need these specializations, then it is not so strange that it would lose them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.