Thomas Delinck
United States
Hobart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Two words on 2nd edition
Didn't someone else think their dice were bad, but it turns out they were fine? Something about an expectation that one symbol was not represented on the die, but in actuality it was not supposed to have a side of its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
DFu4ever wrote:
Didn't someone else think their dice were bad, but it turns out they were fine? Something about an expectation that one symbol was not represented on the die, but in actuality it was not supposed to have a side of its own.

You are talking about the Action dice, and it is now stated clearly in the rules that the FP action dice do NOT have the ARMY symbol on its own face, it only exists together with the MUSTER symbol.

I assume the original poster is unhappy with the combat dice (the normal six sided dice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, so the new edition is quite nice in virtually every respect. I'm flipping through the rules, loving the new clarity. The new cards are great. The board is beautiful and it's easy to see how you get your VP finally. The pieces look exactly like 1st edition, aside from replacing the Nazgul with ones that won't fall over (from CE).

Then there are these D6's. They're little crappy dice with oversized dots on the 1 side. They're simply not gamer quality dice. They're weird oddities that you expect to get when you buy 1000 dice for $10.

Why create a game that's a masterpiece and throw in crappy D6's? Seriously, what gives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
Yeah, so the new edition is quite nice in virtually every respect. I'm flipping through the rules, loving the new clarity. The new cards are great. The board is beautiful and it's easy to see how you get your VP finally. The pieces look exactly like 1st edition, aside from replacing the Nazgul with ones that won't fall over (from CE).

Then there are these D6's. They're little crappy dice with oversized dots on the 1 side. They're simply not gamer quality dice. They're weird oddities that you expect to get when you buy 1000 dice for $10.

Why create a game that's a masterpiece and throw in crappy D6's? Seriously, what gives?

If the type of D6's is really the main flaw in this game, it must be pretty close to perfect! shake

If they had included "better" dice, someone would have complained about the new background colour of the box or something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme xD
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:

If they had included "better" dice, someone would have complained about the new background colour of the box or something...

Epic comment is epic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want pretty combat dice, pick up some Chessex royal blue and scarlet Scarab dice. (The pictures don't really do them justice.) They complement the Action dice very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Delinck
United States
Hobart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
I assume the original poster is unhappy with the combat dice (the normal six sided dice).

Ah. Never crossed my mind that someone would make a thread solely about lackluster, regular dice. I guess I just take for granted, as an RPG gamer, that I have a huge amount of dice sitting around that are better quality than the dice included in most board games I own. It seems like I swap out the dice in most board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
If you want pretty combat dice, pick up some Chessex royal blue and scarlet Scarab dice. (The pictures don't really do them justice.) They complement the Action dice very well.

Though the colors of the Chessex dice don't exactly match the colors of the ones included in the game it looks quite cool to play with the blue and red dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:

Good call. I ordered six of each (16mm size) and it came to 14.80 after shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DFu4ever wrote:
Veldrin wrote:

Ah. Never crossed my mind that someone would make a thread solely about lackluster, regular dice. I guess I just take for granted, as an RPG gamer, that I have a huge amount of dice sitting around that are better quality than the dice included in most board games I own. It seems like I swap out the dice in most board games.

I actually appreciate the heads up (once the OP clarified his post). I absolutely hate those D6s with the huge one pip. Now I have time to prepare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The first edition dice were reasonable quality simple white dice right? This edition is basically cheapo dice, lightweight, ugly, etc.

I happened to have both a couple D6 cubes the day before I picked up 2nd edition, so I just put some of those dice in (after all, each player should have 5 dice anyway). It's more just a "why create a masterpiece only to ignore the dice?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carr
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
It's more just a "why create a masterpiece only to ignore the dice?"

Yeah just got my copy. I've never played this game before so I have no idea what those dice are used for, but they're horrendous. Especially next to the beautiful marbled shadow and free people's dice.

I will be replacing the 5 white d6 ASAP. What are they used for, anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat. The other D6 are actions. You'll want 5 each for shadow and free peoples ideally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess they probably just had to compromise somewhere to keep the price point under control. If that's the case, they probably made the best possible choice they possible could. I have trouble thinking of any game component that's easier to replace than a standard d6.

Bottom line, if it bothers you you can easily substitute your own dice. Most of us probably have some lying around, or you can go deluxe and pick out some fancy ones for the game if that's your thing. If I end up painting my set I'll probably spring for fancy dice, otherwise I'll just scoop up a handful of normal ones and put them in the box.

Turn it around, let's say they had a tiny bit of budget left. What would you have them spend it on? I'll bet "better d6's" wouldn't be the top pick for that many people, am I right?

I've always found this an interesting experiment to peek into the soul of the designers. For instance, until recently I was driving a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. Not so much different in many ways from a lot of compact cars other than the signature AWD Subaru is known for. Look inside, the cabin isn't fancy. They could have put money into a nicer dashboard or trim or whatever. But you know what they spent it on instead? Big seat bolsters to hold the driver in place during hard cornering. You see that, you know what kind of car these guys wanted to make and who they wanted to make it for.

The decision that if something had to be compromised it would be the easiest thing to replace/upgrade tells me that the company understands that a lot of us are interested in pimping out or customizing the game anyway. Because they got cheaper d6's they were able to keep something else not so easy to replace, maybe a better board, or better art, or adding the Gollum figure. And that's just fine by me.

Personally, if I had just a tiny bit of budget left I'd probably see if I could add a second Galdalf figure in white plastic but maybe that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the dice. I really don't see a problem with them at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand a complaint against lower quality dice in a game at this price point.. but then how many people buy a game at this price point who don't already have dozens of dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll bet some of you won't need the plastic miniatures. Gamers have stashes of pawns and miniatures. And it's no big deal to buy a boxful of them anyway. And the mounted board; a sheet of paper suffice, we all have spare cardboard and some glue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Delinck
United States
Hobart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:

I'll bet some of you won't need the plastic miniatures.

I just realized I am going to be replacing every plastic miniature in the game, except for Gollum. I've made tokens for all of the generic army units, and I am going to use the Heroclix versions of all the named characters because they have the same aesthetic as the movies, which is something I wanted. This includes all the Nazgul as well.

It's like I'm making my own collector's edition!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to even call this a Eurogame until it's nothing but cubes. Come on Ares!

But seriously, the dice suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my first play in tonight. I really do hate the look of those combat dice so I used faction dice sets from Summoner Wars. The Phoenix Elves and Tundra Orc sets were very nice complements to the blue and red action dice packed with WotR, and they also happen to be sold in sets of five each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Two things you'll need to complete your copy of 2nd edition
Krieghund wrote:

I picked up the dice you mentioned, and they are beautiful. They compliment the original War of the Ring dice quite well, but the new edition seems to have non-marbleized dice which I found less pretty.

So I took the dice from my first edition set and added these Chessex dice and I am happy with the result.

The second edition of this game is awesome, once you replace the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I am a little bummed about the 2nd edition action dice as well. They're just not as beautiful as the 1st edition dice, though solidly functional.

But I sold my 1st edition long ago, so keeping the old ones isn't an option for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.