Hide
2 Posts

Yggdrasil» Forums » Variants

Subject: Another idea to alter the Vanaheim track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
From my experience with the game, the biggest problem with the Vanaheim track lies in the fact that once you progress the track up to the last (defeating an ice giant) or second-last position (pushing back an enemy one step), you are - unless in dire need - unwilling to use any function of the lower positions on the track. A possible fix might be to alter the activation costs on the track. Instead of reseting the track regardless of the selected function, you could define that using a function on the track sets back the counter a number of steps in accordance to the position of that function on the track. For example, if you have placed the counter on position 5 (defeating an ice giant) and you wish to draw two vikings (the function on position 2), you would move the counter two steps back to position 3.

This idea should increase the attractiveness of the lower end functions without increasing the usability of the already powerful higher end functions any further. As a positive side effect, the underused black island should become more relevant to the game, as players may be willing to invest Vanaheim actions to speed up the valkyries for a concerted effort to drain the black bag of vikings before the next Jormungand card arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience with the game, the biggest problem with the Vanaheim track lies in the fact that once you progress the track up to the last (defeating an ice giant) or second-last position (pushing back an enemy one step), you are - unless in dire need - unwilling to use any function of the lower positions on the track. A possible fix might be to alter the activation costs on the track. Instead of reseting the track regardless of the selected function, you could define that using a function on the track sets back the counter a number of steps in accordance to the position of that function on the track. For example, if you have placed the counter on position 5 (defeating an ice giant) and you wish to draw two vikings (the function on position 2), you would move the counter two steps back to position 3.

This idea should increase the attractiveness of the lower end functions without increasing the usability of the already powerful higher end functions any further. As a positive side effect, the underused black island should become more relevant to the game, as players may be willing to invest Vanaheim actions to speed up the valkyries for a concerted effort to drain the black bag of vikings before the next Jormungand card arrives.

I like it. Sounds like a great variant, and I don't think that it'll drastically make things easier perse, but will also allow for another layer of strategic decisions. As you stated, many of my game experiences have the Vanaheim track all the way at the frost giant spot, and many times is stuck there for a good portion of the game, essentially eliminating that action from being used (barring the completing a rune). Your variant will allow more movement of the track, and incite more risky decision making.

Personally, draining the black bag has never been too bad of a problem for my group, but I do find your variant will be more useful for the other actions (ie 2 vikings).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.