Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unboxing--who gives a rat's...? I particularly like when one hand is holding a shaking camera and the other is attempting to take the cellophane off the box or a deck of cards. "Here's an advertising insert that with a copyright date of 2008, and here's the dice, quite nice actually, and here I guess are the Mission Cards (it says it right on the back for God's sake!), blah, blah, blah. Now I do enjoy a good video review and a look at how the pieces work in the game, but I find these Christmas morning videos (HD or not) almost uniformly dull and pointless.

What's wrong with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
msg tools
mb
Drakkenstrike goes into detail of components, sometimes it's a bit too much, but if you want to know exactly what's in a box and the quality of it, then his videos are the best.

The people who open the boxes in videos are quite annoying, I must agree. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The only problem I have with unboxing video is the lack of "new game smell." It's like eating a candy-bar with the wrapper still on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
The tone of your voice makes your "The Old Man" moniker very believable. "Damn kids and their HD uboxing....grumble grumble...back in my day all the game boxes were full of broken glass and sticks and we had to make a game out of the box of garbage...AND WE LIKED IT!"

I am not a fan of the unboxing or component videos myself. I want to see how the game is played and if the mechanics are any good. I don't need pretty baubles to enjoy a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
What's wrong with me?

Nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with the OP. I care about the game itself, not how it is boxed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't really care for unboxing videos either. I've watched a few but they're pretty useless.

This trend applies to more than just board games by the way, you can read the wiki article about it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, you can't help but feel that in the time it takes someone to waffle on about the components they could have done something actually useful, like explain the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
these 'unboxing' video covers all stuff and sometimes its good to know the details of item in the box before purchasing, especially if you are overseas customer ordering online.

i myself applaud and appreciate the time and effort to make unboxing videos... unless its a shaky cam/mobilephone cam type of unboxing with bad video/audio..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan. I like to see the components before I purchase as these are important to me.

I do agree that the quality is generally poor, but I'll take what I can get and do appreciate that people take the time to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When geekmoding I have this urge to just click Decline for any of these videos. You want , do some actual work. It's nice that you have a camera and know a bit of video editing, but please, valuable contribution to the site, it's not. If you're making video, I want your opinion, if you're writing and article, I want your opinion, how the game looks I see in the myriad of photos the geeks upload relentlessly (for every small individual component the game has there's a new pic).

The Old Man wrote:
Now I do enjoy a good video review and a look at how the pieces work in the game, but I find these Christmas morning videos (HD or not) almost uniformly dull and pointless.

Exactly because I love a good review, I can't stand these videos. I do love the videos where no components are shown - Vasel's top 100 series is looking really funny this year with Tom walking around, doing whathaveyou and talking about his top games. Or Calendale reviews (he does show the whole game, but I watch only the review part, which is a nice option to have). Or the Gamer's table. For me review part must be stronger than that of showing the game to call video review a review.

airdroppers wrote:
Drakkenstrike goes into detail of components, sometimes it's a bit too much,

ftfy
airdroppers wrote:
but if you want to know exactly what's in a box and the quality of it, then his videos are the best.

The thing with his videos is: they're more annoyance than any good - because he talks. What's the point of it? Please if you want to show components, show them. If you don't have a formed opinion about the game (review), please do keep quiet. If I want to know how the components look, I'd rather browse through photos than listen to his videos. Heck comparing watching anybody's unboxing videos on mute to looking at photos, the latter gives you more control about what you watch.

I am so happy that I've found this old men's thread to vent myself. Now I gotta go yell at the neighbours' kids to get off my front yard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumpy Old Scott says:

I agree. Knowing what's in the box is kind of like knowing what ingredients go into a dish (without knowing how they are combined or anything else).

The primary exception is a game with a cool doodad, like the pooping dog or the spinning chest from Master Thieves; in these cases, the unusual doodad is pretty exciting.

But "here's a board and here are some cards and some dice and player movers..." doesn't do anything for me.

I want to tell people who make these... "Stop. You have filmed the first part of a video. Now go play the game, and come back and film the rest of it!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd rather watch a great unboxing video with good shot of components and map/tile boards and miniatures than watching a 'review' of a game which almost never show the game board/component even when reviewing the gameplay and continuously shoot at the reviewer's face. Some guy even review wargames without once have a shot of the component and sample gameplay (which is worse than unboxing videos because of the misleading title)

DrakkenStrike's video for example, a great component review (with a bigt of gameplay) is great and yet he never show his face.

Marco Marnaudo another great reviewer who divive his review into introduction, component, gameplay and conclusion (he is a professor after all)

unboxing video is like.. watching a movie trailer.. dont expect to see the full movie there =D =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:

unboxing video is like.. watching a movie trailer.. dont expect to see the full movie there =D =D

Fair but when watching what the movie critics say about the movie, don't expect to see a trailer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
The thing with his videos is: they're more annoyance than any good - because he talks. What's the point of it? Please if you want to show components, show them. If you don't have a formed opinion about the game (review), please do keep quiet.

I can tell you haven't actually watched many of Drakkenstrike's videos, because he does review them and give his opinions.

Maybe you just looked at the "Components Breakdown" title, or stopped watching after the first few minutes or something. Watch all the way to the end next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pics are just fine with me. I've seen the occasional pictoral "Component review" on the BGG, and, despit them not being full reviews, find them useful for certain games (eg. games with miniatures). I don't look at video reviews -- I prefer to skim written ones in a few minutes than sit through a video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airdroppers wrote:

Annoying?? As long as they have "unboxing" in the title, why are you watching it, and therefore being annoyed by it??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Weber
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it either.

Give me some photos of the stuff in the box and a typed description/review of it. I can skip the 5 minutes of you randomly flipping pages in a book (STOP, go back to that page!) and the pictures are usually stable and in focus, rather than the Blair Witch cam work i so often see. I don't need to watch you fondling the components in a (loving/teasing/angry circle one) manner while rambling on about it. I can do that at any game store on 'new releases day'.

This is actually worse IMO than cooking pr0n shows.

"ooh, I'm taking off the cellophane...the box smells soooo good. Ok, I'm working my fingers under the box edges and sloooowly sliding the lid off..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StercusCaput wrote:
The tone of your voice makes your "The Old Man" moniker very believable. "Damn kids and their HD uboxing....grumble grumble...back in my day all the game boxes were full of broken glass and sticks and we had to make a game out of the box of garbage...AND WE LIKED IT!"

I'm so old that my first pair of contact lenses were made out of wood. We didn't use sterile solution, we used turpentine. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
airdroppers wrote:

Annoying?? As long as they have "unboxing" in the title, why are you watching it, and therefore being annoyed by it??

Hey I've pretty much given up. I peek in occasionally, but then I usually hate myself in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sagers
United States
Gainsville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I watch unboxing videos. They are usually short. Now, if you want a good components overview, plus a little bit of a game demo, and a review then I highly recomend Drakkenstrike's videos. His videos are of a professional quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not understand threads like this.

Some people are complaining about content being available that they don't like.
OK...then don't click on it. Am I missing something? Why is this not a viable option?

Other people are complaining about the videos aren't done "right." "Do a full review!" "Don't talk if its only an unboxing!"
Really? I would say, "Make your own videos before complaining," but even taking a step back from that, no one here is paying for this content. Be grateful that anyone made any videos, or, again, don't click on it.

I guess I don't understand complaining about something that is COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE. I mean I dislike threads like this, but you don't see me...o wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah . . . none of this clogs up the site. Maybe in a while it will, when there's tons of useless videos.

For now, though, I care a lot more about the completely useless pictures that people feel the need to keep in a game's page, rather than their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
What's wrong with me?

You're normal, that's what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really get the hate.

I) If they are so terrible that you can't stand them and they make you hate yourself, just don't watch them. They are titled "Unboxing" after all, you know what you're going to get. If you truly hate horror movies you don't watch them, do you?

II) I think they're pretty good. I like to see what other people have to say about the components, as I find components extremely fun. I think that's one of the big reasons I got into boardgaming, all the components make me feel like a 5 year old kid with toys again. If I want to see a review I look at reviews, but if I only want to see the components I watch unboxing videos.

You're allowed to have your opinions, of course. I just don't agree with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.