Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been disappointed with new games I've learned/bought recently. Taught a newcomer how to play Dominion and his mind was blown as soon as I explained it. I miss that!

For me, what makes a game great is that it's tense. The game doesn't have to be crazy or innovative (helps) but once you start playing, I love that nervous feeling of being unsure you'll be able to do everything you want or get there first in time. Games that work well for me in that regard: Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Twilight Struggle, Airlines Europe, Power Grid, The Resistance, King of Tokyo.

I'd want something that gives that feeling but also:

1) Is for more than 2 players, but preferably also plays well with 2
2) Looks nice, as in vibrant/colorful/cartoony like Ticket to Ride, Small World, Dice Town, Jaipur, etc, or at least stylish, like Ninjato or The Golden City, not bland like TS or Airlines Europe
3) Not -too- overcomplicated (i.e. not Troyes or something like that)
4) Plays in 60-90 minutes... 2 hours max

Some of my ratings are probably out of date, but other favorites are M:tG (same reason - tension) and Small World, Cosmic Encounter, 7 Wonders (those don't feel as tense though...)

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny S. Mo
Japan
Iwamizawa-shi
Hokkaido
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind having the tension imposed on you by time limits then I'd suggest Mondo and Galaxy Trucker.

With the right person/people Ricochet Robots does that as well.

Can't say those will specifically do it for you, and they hardly meet all your criteria, but they might be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, hadn't thought of it that way, but I did ask for Mondo for Christmas... we'll see

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Try Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game. It's a blast with 2, 3, or 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to recommend Cyclades.

The game is tense and the leader position can change very quickly. It also allows for a surprise win if you are subtle enough with your actions. The rules are very simple, the design and components are beautiful, and the theme is a lot of fun as well.

Edit: Well now I notice you already have it. Sorry I missed that the first time. At least I know by your rating that you enjoy it, so I wasn't off-base with my recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you might think it's a bit too complex (I put it in the same realm as Troyes), but I find myself pretty tensed up whenever I play Agricola. And it plays VERY well at all player counts, 2-5.

Someday when you're ready for a heavy recommendation in this same vein, you'll look at Through the Ages. The nerves I get in my stomach when I play this game nearly brings me to ulcers. When playing it online, I'll often have a hard time sleeping because I'm nervous about what my opponent might do in the morning. I've had nightmares. sauron

Okay, how obsessive is that? wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
thedacker wrote:
Someday when you're ready for a heavy recommendation in this same vein, you'll look at Through the Ages. The nerves I get in my stomach when I play this game nearly brings me to ulcers. When playing it online, I'll often have a hard time sleeping because I'm nervous about what my opponent might do in the morning. I've had nightmares. sauron

laugh

I never knew ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about

- Glory to Rome- I know the graphics are not good, but the game is very good- Cartoony Oh most definitely
- Innovation- This is a really good game with very interesting mechanics
- Neuroshima Hex! 3.0- Definitely a fast playing game with good tactical game play
- Summoner Wars- I've heard excellent things about this game
- Commands & Colors: Ancients- 2 Player ancient battles, plays in about 1 hr. Components might not be very attractive, but excellent game for 2
- Code 777- Old, simple and deduction game, very very good fun
- Mr. Jack- Awesome 2 P deduction game a must have according to me
- Lost Cities- Card game with the tension element superb!
- Balloon Cup- One of my favorite 2P game with awesome competition and tension
- Power Grid: Factory Manager- Even more tighter than Powergrid, shorter playtime and more tense
- Ra- Classic auction game, plays well with more people but good with 2 too.
- Odin's Ravens- Another good 2P game with a nice race feeling
- Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation- This is a great secret unit deployment game with amazing tactical depth and replability

Hope you like some
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
thedacker wrote:

laugh

I never knew ...

Haha! It usually happens when I'm playing a military-focused player. And it was happening a lot when I was learning the game.

For the record, I haven't had a TtA nightmare for months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
thedacker wrote:
It usually happens when I'm playing a military-focused player.

I'm glad I'm well clear of any responsibility for giving you nightmares, then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GOA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games you listed are very close to my list of favourite games, so I'll just tell you about a couple of games that blew my own mind

Agricola was love at first sight. It's a game both very complex and very easy to understand: you need everything that's on the board, but you have just a few choices each turn. I've played it with 1, 2 and 3 people and it has always been brilliant.

Letters from Whitechapel might be the most ellegant and classic-looking designer's game I've ever seen. Everything, from the board layout to the pieces to the rules, feels very timeless. It's mainly a 2-player game, or an "everyone against Mr. Evil" at most, but it gives you a "duel of minds" experience I've only seen in games as Poker or Go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations - I've played some (Cyclades is pretty good, ending is kind of abrupt, Agricola strategy was over our heads and a bit too long)... I think I should check out Innovation and Glory to Rome next. Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
Been disappointed with new games I've learned/bought recently. Taught a newcomer how to play Dominion and his mind was blown as soon as I explained it. I miss that!

For me, what makes a game great is that it's tense. The game doesn't have to be crazy or innovative (helps) but once you start playing, I love that nervous feeling of being unsure you'll be able to do everything you want or get there first in time. Games that work well for me in that regard: Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Twilight Struggle, Airlines Europe, Power Grid, The Resistance, King of Tokyo.

I'd want something that gives that feeling but also:

1) Is for more than 2 players, but preferably also plays well with 2
2) Looks nice, as in vibrant/colorful/cartoony like Ticket to Ride, Small World, Dice Town, Jaipur, etc, or at least stylish, like Ninjato or The Golden City, not bland like TS or Airlines Europe
3) Not -too- overcomplicated (i.e. not Troyes or something like that)
4) Plays in 60-90 minutes... 2 hours max

Some of my ratings are probably out of date, but other favorites are M:tG (same reason - tension) and Small World, Cosmic Encounter, 7 Wonders (those don't feel as tense though...)

Any ideas?

The game you need is Saint Petersburg. It fulfills all your points and we just played it again recently and boy was it enjoyable.

Another more complicated game/recommend would be Louis XIV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic 1-5
+1 Galaxy Trucker 2-4

Mind blowing stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notre Dame

Tense, good with 2p or more. Feeling of not being able to do everything you want to do. Always the threat of the plague hurting you. Attrative, with variable board depending on number of players.

Good luck with search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
12th BGG CCE open!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Glory to Rome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
For tension, you've already found the king: Twilight Struggle.

Through the Ages is longish, and complex at first, but usually tense and very involving. With two players, the play time becomes reasonable.

In a completely different vein, consider Combat Commander: Europe. Yes, it's a wargame, but it is fast-playing, involving and usually very tense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to recommend an "out of nowhere" game that I bought couple days ago - Takenoko. It is by the designer of 7 Wonders and Ghost Stories, no less. It fits your requirements really well:

- It has secret goals, like Ticket to Ride, which make it feel pleasantly tense (but otherwise no similarities to TtR)
- It is 2-4 players and works really well with 2.
- It looks absolutely gorgeous - check out the pics
- The simplicity of the rules is on par with Ticket to Ride
- Plays in ~45min

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for Blood Bowl: Team Manager. My girlfriend even loves it.

I'd like to add Chicago Express. It wows me because there is no random/luck factor at all. It's all cause and effect.

Acquire wows me because it's almost 50 years old now, and it seems like it could had been created in the last 10-15 years... it just feels that fresh.

Mentionable is Gears of War: The Board Game, Wings of War: Miniatures & Memoir '44... but that's all due to the quality components and how they bring you that much closer in to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should mention I pretty much hate co-ops, for whatever reason, unless there's a traitor involved...

Yup, got Takenoko on preorder, hope to get it soon, very excited.

I do need to play Acquire. Memoir '44 is a good suggestion, I've played Battlelore a lot, but not a lot of opportunities for 1-on-1 play.

I don't like football in general, but maybe I'll rope one of my FFG-fanatic friends into getting Blood Bowl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I think your missing out on the co-op part.

In that case I'll replace Pandemic with Mob Ties: The Board Game. This finally gave us the opportunity to turn our love for the Sopranos into something real...
"Wait... did we just role-play?"
"Oh I feel so dirty."
"forgetaboutit"

Who would have though ameritrash could be so accessible and boarder on elegance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't checked your collection, so I'm sorry if any of these are repeats...

Shadow Hunters
The Speicherstadt
Pergamon
Leaping Lemmings
Cargo Noir
Mission: Red Planet
Citadels
Rattus
Yspahan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:

Yup, got Takenoko on preorder, hope to get it soon, very excited.

Awesome, then my recommendation is probably more of a reassurance for you

Let me throw in another one of my all-time favorites - Macao. I think it hits all the same spots (tons of tension, especially), but it is on a meatier side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Castles of Burgundy, but Macao made our brains melt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.