Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone has played the original a few times, would they find playing this one standalone good enough or would they feel like something was missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played RotF both with and without CotG.
I definetely like playing it with CotG more.

First of all if you play standalone, you have fewer cards in the center deck, which makes it more foreseeable and takes away a lot of variety.
Second, the fate events occur to often for my liking, which can sometimes totally destroy your strategy when multiple events occur in short time periods.
Third, it feels like some basic cards are missing. Can't put it directly to certain cards, but the games feel hastend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Konata wrote:
If someone has played the original a few times, would they find playing this one standalone good enough or would they feel like something was missing?
I enjoy it just as much. I do agree that being used to the CotG cards, it does feel "off" without them, but IMO, it still plays OK. I would add the base game just to have that variety though. You can indeed count on Fate cards more often to come out due to the distribution being only RotF cards, so you can count on Mystics being available right away, and game the system to often have a construct in your discard pile. If nothing else, it's a good way to try out and focus on the strategies and effects offered by exp #1 cards, like Sammuel The Fallen (8p/8, monsters you defeat can go in your deck and you get their power as your own) and Adayu, The Chosen (8r/6 defeat or acquire any card)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the above astute comments. Looking forward to combining the two for the first time this weekend with one of my captive tag-along gamers (aka pre-teen children).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels like playing Ascension but in some alternate universe. I expect to feel the same when Storm of Souls come out and I play that one standalone.

I like the Return of the Fallen cards a lot. We had a bunch of fun playing it by itself, and as a 2 players only game plus a limited size deck, it tends to be a lot more predictable than the original. For some that's a bad thing, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the people who complained that this was too luck based in CotG would see the strategy better in this set.

One thing that's cool about RotF standalone is that some of the cards in there can result in making really crazy combos, and you have a whole lot more chance of being able to assemble them than if you dilute the deck with the original CotG. I love to setup Stone Circle with 2+ Ravens, for instance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.