Subject: Pimp your Tech Tree: Micro Technology rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hokuspokulus
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, fellow Twilightimperiumaniacs. arrrh This is a totally spontaneous post about an equally spontaneous idea I had, and which is about tweaking the Micro Technology technology.

Reason: Micro Technology is sort of a blind spot in the center of the tech tree for me. Why? Because I don't find it attractive enough to research it for its own effect (+1 Trade Good per active trade agreement). I research it because it's a necessary prerequisite for, e.g. Nano Technology or Graviton Negator. But if you don't have people who want to trade with you, or if don't want to pay a Command Counter on the trade strategy to receive your maybe 2+1 Trade goods, Micro Technology is somewhat useless.

Idea: Change the effect of the card to something more generaly useful like --

-- MICRO TECHNOLOGY
You may, at any time during your turn, spend recources from your unexhausted planets to gain Trade Goods. You receive 1 Trade Good for every 2 recources you spend.

Effect: While this little tweak would not give a player more Trade Goods for his trade agreements, it would offer some nice other advantages, for example:
- provide a player with a way to get additional influence for an upcoming political phase
- allow a player to "transport" unsued recources into the next game round
- allow a player to better fulfil Trade Good based objectives
- and maybe more?

Impressions: Put yours here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Binney
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Micro tech is pretty damn powerful, especially for a Hacan player. My thoughts are that you are turning Micro Tech into another version of Transfabrication, but not as good.

Edit: I just realized you probably don't have Shards of the Throne, so your idea is quite inventive for its time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mykel McCarthy
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
This is very much like Shattered Ascension, a set of rule mods. In it, you can produce Trade Goods in the Status phase by exhausting resources. Every 2 resources gives you 1 Trade Good.

Micro Tech then allows you to use influence instead of resources to do this (2 : 1 still). So political races would be able to convert political abilities into a little bit economy for the next round.

If you're interested (it's a bit involving, but has a dedicated community!) come check it out: http://www.simonkamber.dk/ti3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
OneArmedSorcerer wrote:

-- MICRO TECHNOLOGY
You may, at any time during your turn, spend recources from your unexhausted planets to gain Trade Goods. You receive 1 Trade Good for every 2 recources you spend.

Effect: While this little tweak would not give a player more Trade Goods for his trade agreements, it would offer some nice other advantages, for example:
- provide a player with a way to get additional influence for an upcoming political phase
- allow a player to "transport" unsued recources into the next game round
- allow a player to better fulfil Trade Good based objectives
- and maybe more?

Impressions: Put yours here.

In my games, it is extremely extremely rare to have “leftover” resources. An efficient player would gain nothing from this technology. Though I’m sure part of my position is that we haven’t used Trade 1 in more than half a decade. Trade 2 or 3 are both vastly superior.

Being able to spend influence, on the other hand, would be quite cool.

Note: Trade Goods cannot be spent as votes. That is a very common misconception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack S.
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
In my games, it is extremely extremely rare to have “leftover” resources. An efficient player would gain nothing from this technology.

It's only efficient to spend all your resources on ships and technology because if you don't spend them you gain no benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zackss wrote:
Gylthinel wrote:
In my games, it is extremely extremely rare to have “leftover” resources. An efficient player would gain nothing from this technology.

It's only efficient to spend all your resources on ships and technology because if you don't spend them you gain no benefit.

It will also be inefficient if you get half benefit. Particularly if you paid 6 resources for the 'privilege' of wasting resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.