Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Premise: I love the theme and the mechanics that I find dynamic and innovative like The swords function on the cards.

I read a lot of criticisms about this game.
This is probably an already largely discussed topic, but me and my group had a very good time playing S&K years ago and don't understand why this game is so underrated. Same for Senji, a game I also own.
6 for the former and 6.68 for the latter are shocking scores for me. I do not want to criticize the score itself, nor the comments, I do really want to know if we're a group that get easily impressed by the theme rather than the gameplay itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stefano,

I usually take others comments with a grain of salt.
With my playing group, we take S&K and play it at least one pro/month, because it has fast set up, low difficulty rules and very fun and interesting system of play and enough re-playability.
Is our war-horse between "serious" wargames!
So, low-rating or not, we'll continue to play it.

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Male
United Kingdom
Woburn Sands
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely agree with you. Our group like it a lot and play it quite regularly. I can only think that its relatively low rating is due to people playing once, having trouble with the rules (not that well written) and deciding that it is not for them.

My only reservation about the game is the curious battle system, - the more casualties you inflict, the less likely you are to win the battle (totally perverse, but it works from a game perspective).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
My theory is that the manual's translation is so poor that it ruined the game for many people. I my self played the game wrong for months, trying to make sense of the rules.

Back then my group had not many options, so we stuck with it.

Now I play it relatively often and every time the game is enjoyed by everyone, new commers and experts alike.

It is also a game that at first sight seems too generic. And in some ways it is, but it has a very nice ballance. From all Risk alikes I own, this is probably my favorite, but only with 5-6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Richard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
What matters in life is not the triumph nor the struggle but the triumph by tie breaker.
mbmbmbmbmb
Badly written rules, overdone theme - better options, fresh but unintuitive battle system, only enjoyable with 5-6 players among other things. It's not the worst game out there though.

Senji is pure crap : collecting cards that don't mean anything, worst battle system ever, beautiful unnecessary board, card game disguise as wargame, and all of the above and some more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piere risero
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really got into this game, and the biggest issue I have with it is the map. At first glance its awesome with the bonus from mountains. But the sea links allow people to go around a fortified mountain position. Making the mountains just a lower source of resources. The main problem with the map as is, is that the sea links have the same cost whether your sailing next door or across the map. And also that the map is usually only 1 or 2 spaces thick, which means there are few land locked positions. Ultimately I feel like the positions on the map provide no tactical value as anyone can attack nearly anywhere at anytime. I feel that Clan Points in the game bring more complexity than they do fun. Another problem with the game is the rule translation (obviously) but also the general complexity which is pretty straight forward and tangible but has too many acceptions and special scenarios to the core rules for a first time player to glide into it. The castles could also have a cooler/more-influential effect than doubling the lowest card (no proposed suggestion). I think having to buy boats and then being limited in their range would be good improvements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a decent game out of the box. The thing I disliked most was the incessant recycling of the cards. And the unlimited sailing distance. I have some variant rules posted in the files, which, imho, improve things. The ease of play and good period flavour are all big pluses for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.