sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I am looking for a game that I am not sure exist, but if it does then I know that one of you know about it!

The Resistance is often said to take the essence of Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and distill it down to something that is quick to play and easy to teach.

I am looking for something that does the same thing with Lifeboats. I want the cut throat negotiations of Lifeboats in a game that can be played in fifteen minutes. Does that exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played it, but you might check out So Long Sucker. It was designed by John Nash (Nobel prize in Economics, and featured in the movie A Beautiful Mind).

It supposedly one of those backstabbing negotiation games that causes divorces. BGG says it plays in 20min. You just need poker chips to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I would say the Lifeboats is the distilled down essence of Mall of Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmanders85 wrote:
Intrigue certainly has the cut-throatedness of lifeboats, plays at about a half hour but I'm sure you could mod it to 15 minutes (remove the $1000 section of the castle, remove two scholars, etc)

It's also one of our groups favorite cut throat games.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmanders85 wrote:
IntrigueBut I'm sure you could mod it to 15 minutes (remove the $1000 section of the castle, remove two scholars, etc)

Have you ever played with that modification? It seems like it might work, and really cut the game down to the core even further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about 10 games of So Long Sucker, it may be just what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Isaac
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Though it's not quite playable in 15 - 20 minutes, you might have a look at Mob Ties: The Board Game. It's inspired by elements of Lifeboats and Mall of Horror, but also works in a number of other game mechanics, including direct conflict between players. The Print & Play version (identical to the published version available in stores, aside from the plastic Don's Ring) is available as a free download at http://www.hostage-entertainment-store.com/mob-ties-the-boar....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can somebody explain the cutthroat negotiations of Lifeboats to me? I'd like to recommend some games but I want to be sure its what the OP is asking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup +1Intrigue is probably closest in that time frame to Lifeboats. The problem with this is that shorter playing time and somewhat abstract nature makes betrayals feel somewhat less significant.

+1 Mob Ties: The Board Game is well worth a look. It's pretty simple, takes around an hour to play (dependent on who and how many) and has a solid theme/story development which makes the back-stabs, betrayals and nasty deals more meaningful... and painful. 3-6 devil

Cosmic Encounter also is worth a look. Though negotiation is not as big a deal and is quite structured. 3-5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.