Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Neely
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here are a bunch of questions I have been wondering about...

Are you in a gaming group that meets regularly?
Are the members consistent or is it more a matter of rotating people meeting up regularly or semi-regularly to play games?
Did you actively seek out a group or was it more along the lines of "Hey, I have friends and we all like games, so why not start playing games regularly?"
Have you ever posted ads online or in a LGS looking for other board gamers?
Do you like everyone in your gaming group?

Inquiring minds want to know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group were all friends beforehand, and since I like games, I began inviting them over to our twice-monthly game night. As such, it's invitation-only and I have never advertised it anywhere, since we're friends first and gamers second.

I'd guess the above is not the norm for hard-core gamers on this site, but who knows? Perhaps you could make a poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Gerbil_filet wrote:

Yes.

Quote:
Are the members consistent or is it more a matter of rotating people meeting up regularly or semi-regularly to play games?

They are all consistent. Some are more than others but the group is very stable.

Quote:
Did you actively seek out a group or was it more along the lines of "Hey, I have friends and we all like games, so why not start playing games regularly?"

It was better than that. I wanted to play boardgames so I gifted one to a friend and forced him into the hobby. angry

Quote:

Nope

Quote:

Only sexually

Kidding aside, yes, they are my friends. I don't like two as players, tough, one is simply bad at it and ruins the experience while the other is not invovled enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerbil_filet wrote:

Yes. So far we met once a month but we're now upping the frequency to once every two weeks.

Gerbil_filet wrote:

Nope. It has been pretty much a different constellation every time. Some are more frequent visitors others are a much rarer sight. Generally depends on how busy people are...

Gerbil_filet wrote:

I actually founded the group myself. There are a couple of guys from work (and their SO) but mostly people just gravitated to our group over time. I even stumbled over one guy from our town here on BGG.

Gerbil_filet wrote:

Yes. I posted flyers in shopping malls, posted the dates on the town's website and even made a website for the group.

Gerbil_filet wrote:
Mostly. One guy is a bit difficult at times but due to the language barrier I try to be patient...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Clark Jr
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually kind of in an odd spot because I have three different gaming groups that I've built or joined right now.

The first one is with friends I've known for years, we've just always either roleplayed or done boardgames. Since one of the guys who used to regularly GM moved away for school, shortly after we finished up a massive RPG campaign, we've been playing boardgames again. Do I like everyone in the group? For the most part, there's the usual conflicts you'll build up in any group of friends who've known each other for a long time but, meh, you deal with it.

The second one came about due to scheduling conflicts with the first one. For about a year most of them were meeting on a couple of days a week that I just couldn't make so I went searching on BGG. I ran across Visalia Board and Card Games and shot one of the guys a message about coming to a game night. This is more of a rotating group, there's the usual suspects who come almost every week and a few more who show up when they can.

The third group came about due to scheduling conflicts with the first two...

My wife had classes on the Tuesday night that the second group used to meet for a couple of semesters so I couldn't go to that night for a while. I got to talking with some of the guys I work with about setting up a game night. I'd already been talking with them about boardgaming so they were interested. For the most part it's the same people with a few others who show up when they can. I've been debating on trying to make an IT gaming night and see if more people from work want to join but I think my wife might kill me if I tried scheduling another game night for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two groups.

The first started as a D&D group, with players meeting every week to fight for Prince Beowulf and save the land of Alkier from the forces of Shadow. We were high school friends that saw each other every day anyway but this gave us another context to our meetings and conversations. Sometimes we played Settlers of Catan instead. Over the years, we play less D&D and more Catan and became a Catan group. Then I found boardgamegeek.com and the rest is history. One or two people have left the group since it started, and we've gained new people as members wanted to bring in a friend.

The second group started because my friend had moved to Orange County and left her d&d group behind. Looking to socialize with geeks again, she posted up a dinner plan and suggested playing Settlers of Catan. I think this was mostly to encourage me to come because I had taught her to play long ago and it became a tradition for us. So we taught her friends (who mostly showed up for a free gourmet-style dinner) to play Settlers of Catan and Survive: Escape From Atlantis. I have since added many other gateway games to my collection and every so often we have a "board game night & dinner". We're having one the day after Christmas. Facebook has been really useful in organizing this group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it started something like this:

edit: oh and yes i like the group, thanks for looking me up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
I a got few people together that I worked with at my university and were interested in playing D&D. I tricked them into playing board games once in a while and eventually we quit playing D&D all together as nobody really wanted to invest the time to DM. This was fine with me as I am much more interested in boardgaming than RPGing. We've been playing once a week (twice during school breaks) for the last couple of years now and other than losing one member to drama (four regulars is optimal anyways), the group has been remarkably stable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerbil_filet wrote:

Three of them, actually. One on Tuesdays at my house, another on Thursday nights at friend's house, and one over Skype on Wednesday nights.

Gerbil_filet wrote:

Attendance is generally consistent, although the Thursday night attendance can vary.

Gerbil_filet wrote:

The Tuesday night group started as a group of non-gamer friends I introduced to a few light games, and they took to the hobby immediately. The Wednesday night group consists of a bunch of my high school friends and we get together and play D&D over Skype (we all live in different cities across the Midwest). The Thursday night group existed before I joined in, and I was invited by one of my college professors, and we've since become good friends and continued the game group.

Gerbil_filet wrote:

My Thursday night group considered it, as BattleTech and Star Trek CCG players in my area are hard to come by, but we've made due with smaller games. Other than that, not really.

Gerbil_filet wrote:

Except for one guy in the Thursday night group whose personality rubs me wrong on days when work has already worn down my patience, I enjoy the company of all the guys and girls I game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found other gamers simply by chatting with people at church.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Neely
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm I hadn't considered playing over Skype. Do you tend to hit many snags or is it, as I imagine, fairly smooth. I guess the amount of interaction is virtually the same. Interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerbil_filet wrote:

I'm actually in two gaming groups that meet on a weekly basis. One that I've been involved with for about twelve years, and one that I've been attending for a few months.

Gerbil_filet wrote:

The members are fairly consistent. My longtime group is about 5 (sometimes more, sometimes less depending on life situations) of us and usually all attend.

The other group has probably two dozen or more individuals with about half that coming on any given night. [/q]

Gerbil_filet wrote:

My longtime group was the second. The other group is one that was already going strong when I joined up. I met a few of them at a local con and then just started coming to game nights.

Gerbil_filet wrote:

Nope. My FLGS does not do much in the way of board games, sadly. I've used online ads for RPGs, though, with some success.

Gerbil_filet wrote:

In my smaller group, yes. We are all long, long friends. In the other group, I haven't gotten to know everyone yet, but there are great people I have gotten to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group started in 2004 with a posting on meetup.com but I didn't find the group until 2007. My answers to your questions are below.

A: Yes every Monday, Wednesday and every other Saturday
A; We have a large quotient of regulars and then we have people that drop by occasionally.
A: I actively sought the group. I found them online.
A: Not ads but we do have our website in case people are looking for us.(http://www.meetup.com/BoardgamesNJ/)
A: I don't even know everyone in my gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlee Dise
United States
Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you in a gaming group that meets regularly? yes

Are the members consistent or is it more a matter of rotating people meeting up regularly or semi-regularly to play games? both. we have regulars, some that come every now and then and some that come once or twice and we never see again.

Did you actively seek out a group or was it more along the lines of "Hey, I have friends and we all like games, so why not start playing games regularly?" We (boyfriend and I started a meetup group for the purpose of finding other gamers)

Have you ever posted ads online or in a LGS looking for other board gamers? We occassionally post to craigslist about our meetup group

Do you like everyone in your gaming group? No. We are often getting people we have never met so sometimes it's not always fun and games (pun intended )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlee Dise
United States
Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerbil_filet wrote:
Hmmm I hadn't considered playing over Skype. Do you tend to hit many snags or is it, as I imagine, fairly smooth. I guess the amount of interaction is virtually the same. Interesting!

along the same concept as Skype, we have used tinychat to co-ordinate online Dominion at Isotropic with people we know across the country. It was a fun way to interact with people we don't see often and play some online Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerbil_filet wrote:

Yes I am. Every Wednesday night.

Gerbil_filet wrote:

The group is rather large as we all meet at our LGS, Triple Play. There are probably 20+ members. I would say 5-8 are regulars and the others come when they can.

Gerbil_filet wrote:

Actually my good friend and are on the board of local convention. We thought it would be great to get together with many of the local gamers and play Board Games on a more regular basis. We approached the owners, found out Wednesdays was a quiet night and posted to the stores forum we would be there with games! That was two years ago. In the begining the two of us brought most of the games. Now most people will bring a game or two to try.

Gerbil_filet wrote:

Yes but to local groups. We posted on the store forums and on a "local" group site....Green Mountain Gamers. (Everything in Vermont is local!)

Gerbil_filet wrote:

For the most part. There is no one that I will not game with. And most I consider friends. cool

On another note since we have started this group there have been a few "splinter" groups start up. We have Ameritrash Sunday the first sunday of every month. There is a group that plays a Descent campaign once a month. And there are various other groups that get together when they can to play more games. Lots of great people to play with and lots of new friends over the years!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ABG_Scott
United States
Washington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used to be in a regular gaming group. Before I moved to the other side of the country I was part of a weekly gaming night at my local game store. The whole thing started with the store owner, my brother, our friend and myself sitting around one night talking about our different board games. Somewhere in the conversation the idea of a weekly game night came up. We decided to try and make it a regular thing and set about putting up signs in the store and contacting our friends to pass the word around. By the time I moved we were meeting every week with a turnout of about 10-15 people on a regular basis. During the night we would hand out tickets to everyone who was playing games for a raffle. We would then draw 2 tickets with the prize being a pick from the SWAG bag provided by the owner. It comprised of stickers, expansion templates for games like Carcasonne or Fluxx, booster packs for card games and the like. At the end of the night we would dump all the remaining tickets from everyone who did not win into a bag. Every month we would draw a winner from that bag and that person would win a $10 gift card to the store. Every 3 months we would repeat the process with the prize being a $25 gift card. For the most part our group was pretty large and it was not uncommon to have 5-7 games going at once. The only problem we had at times were people having problems with others over games or social life outside of the gaming night but it was never a huge problem.

I think it's a great idea to try and run something like that at your local game store if they do not already have one. I' a big fan of the old phrase "the more the merrier."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.