Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm relatively new to the game, and one of many questions I have is this:

With a hero like Battlemage Jaes, why would you ever use his melee ability? Isn't a hero with 3 Magic Power die just better than this guy?

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much. The Heroes with one die in each are deemed the worst to pick, since they have no real "focus". However, sometimes their special ability overcomes this spreading of focus. In the case of Jaes, the ability to use Armor and Runes is pretty good and one of the reasons most people play him. Also, it does give you the option to use that Melee weapon, though in my games that option is rarely used.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Most of the heroes with a 2/1 split are still playable. You just focus on the trait that has 2 dice and laugh nonchalantly at the idea of ever doing anything with the 1-die trait. There are some who claim the odd die can come in useful sometimes, but all the examples of such I've seen cited are so obviously constructed that it's hard to imagine they'd come up very often, if ever, during actual play. (In all the games I've played, I've never seen a hero player wishing he had thought to prep something for his off-traits.)

The few heroes who have a 1/1/1 split are truly broken (and not in the good way.) In theory these heroes should have ridiculously awesome hero abilities to make up for their overall weak combat position, but none of them do. I can't see anything else to chalk that up to other than poor game design, as much as I genuinely do enjoy this game.

In short, no you are not missing anything. Whatever hero you pick, you want to focus on the trait that has the most dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely do NOT buy two different kinds of weapons at the start of the game. I can't think of any situation where that would be a good idea.

Heroes usually use their highest trait. There are, however, a couple of special cases where your secondary trait may be useful:

- If the party gets an unlucky treasure draw, you are probably better off using a weapon in your secondary trait than a lower-level weapon in your main trait. For example, Jaes might use a silver melee weapon if the best available magic weapon is only copper level.

- With characters that have 1 die in melee (such as Battlemage Jaes), it is sometimes worth starting with a melee weapon (only). The reliable attack range of Immolation or a Crossbow is more than 1 space, but not by much, and they are significantly more expensive and deal less damage than an Axe (the weapons with yellow dice have more range, but their damage is so low that they're not usually viable choices). An extra vitality potion or two can buy you movement and/or black dice to offset lower range or trait dice, and the heroes often open a copper chest within the first turn or two anyway, after which any extra coins you spent on your starting weapon may well be wasted.

But there is pretty much unanimous agreement that having focused trait dice is better than split. Heroes with 1/1/1 dice are all pretty pathetic in the base game, though they get a bit better in the later expansions as the designers get a better handle on the balance. Zyla from the Tomb of Ice expansion has 1/1/1 trait dice and is actually so good that I've seen many posters propose massive nerfs to balance her (she can Fly and is only worth 1 conquest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one play red scorpion

her ability is suck
her status is suck both skill and trait dice is 1/1/1
and she has only 12 health 1 armor and worth 3 CP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chipmafia wrote:
I'm relatively new to the game, and one of many questions I have is this:

With a hero like Battlemage Jaes, why would you ever use his melee ability? Isn't a hero with 3 Magic Power die just better than this guy?

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Thanks for your input.

Surelly not all heroes are 'perfect',BUT keep in mind that ALL have a good potential and use in-game.Everything depends on;1)your skill as a player and of course 2)the skill cards you've drawn.

ps.Battlemage Jaes is one of the elite group of heroes!Do not underestimate him!He is what his title says;BATTLEMAGE.And yes I've seen a Jaes with the Mighty skill card in his arsenal wrecking havoc among the hordes of the OL with JUST an axe and chainmail.. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Asdrubael1985 wrote:
ps.Battlemage Jaes is one of the elite group of heroes!Do not underestimate him!He is what his title says;BATTLEMAGE.And yes I've seen a Jaes with the Mighty skill card in his arsenal wrecking havoc among the hordes of the OL with JUST an axe and chainmail.. whistle

are you for real?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think that those "weak" characters is made by designers for purpose of random drawing balancing system. So they just think that its good to have 3 strong (one dimensional & easy to understand) heroes and 1 who isn't so straightforward (this counts only if someone draw this kind of char's)

I use to play those 1/1/1 characters, because it's so challenging to play it right, but it's very satisfying when you f..k up OL plans!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
duhtch wrote:
Asdrubael1985 wrote:

are you for real?

He does draw a melee skill in set up so it isn't too far fetched.

The axe is a very powerful weapon in the shop deck with good surge conversion. If I drew mighty on Jaes I would probably use it at the start of the game as well.

Jaes also can make a good case as a sturdy runner with his high armor value, so the hammer with knockback on it benefits as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asdrubael Vect
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duhtch wrote:
Asdrubael1985 wrote:

are you for real?

Ignorance is not good..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sims
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
chipmafia wrote:
With a hero like Battlemage Jaes, why would you ever use his melee ability?

Say your first 3 draws out of the treasure deck happen to be Melee weapons. Once one goes to your Fighter, you have two left over. Jaes will do a lot more damage with a copper melee weapon than a shop rune. This has happened in my game so far but in reverse. Have found 2 Magic Weapons but not a single Range or Melee. And that's at about 60 combined CT. Then of course pulling cards in Frostgate waiting for the "Other" a ton of them flew by and got discarded .

It's also cheaper to start him with an Axe (100g) instead of a Rune (200g). The Axe will do about the same damage cuz of the red instead of white less the 1 black die. And the extra 2 potions will be far more impacting. Then when you find a good magic weapon, switch him to that but keep the Axe just in case.

chipmafia wrote:
Isn't a hero with 3 Magic Power die just better than this guy?

Of course. But you don't get to pick from only heroes with specialized dice. If you do it the random way, getting someone with 2/1 might be your best option. Chances are Jaes will be better than many other heroes, tho not quite the absolute best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i realize that those heroes with 1/1/1 weapon skill is perfect to fill the missing role in a team. you have tank/dps, but you don't have runner... he can do it! also those kind of chars can pick any weapon and use it, so they don't really care if they draw sword,rune or a bow... HE CAN USE IT!

ok, now I'm gonna stop... they suckwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In SOB I find that it really helps if ALL heroes are able to attak at range.

My current tank has been upgraded to 2 die in each.

Way back when I played the base game(after it first hit the store and never again) it was pointless to have rounded characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.