Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: The USPS self-regulates its scales? WTF? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Sooooo two different scales I used said my package was under 4 pounds, which is a big difference when shipping international.

I take it to the post office and it's 4 pounds 2 ounces? WTF? With a line of people behind me and needing to fill out the large customs form, I just leave. Looking it up, it turns out the USPS scales are self-regulated by themselves, meaning they could have them be off just to get more money!

By the way, for this particular package, a few ounces means the difference between $18 and $29 for shipping it.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Typical. I never cease to be amazed at the amount of stupidity that goes on at my local post office.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
here ya go!
http://us.mt.com/us/en/home/products/Laboratory_Weighing_Sol...






4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is why I only ship with their flat-rate boxes. I also once weighed an envelope on the postal scale at work to get an idea of the cost. When I went the post office to pay, it weighed 4 ounces more! When I told the employee, she told me that their scales were the correct ones---yeah, right.

The mailroom person told me that stuff ALWAYS weighs more at the post office.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
Typical. I never cease to be amazed at the amount of stupidity that goes on at my local post office.


Seriously! BTW, here's 44 cents can you take this letter to Albuquerque for me?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet the USPS continues to lose money hand over fist, year in, year out. Conspiracy?? YOU MAKE THE CALL!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I'm hoping to have them weigh the package on both the scales in the post office (the ones behind the counter) and see if they're different, and take the lighter one Post office is losing money because of how inconsistent it is and horrible business practices (but that's another rant not suitable for this place!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Leezer wrote:
Typical. I never cease to be amazed at the amount of stupidity that goes on at my local post office.


Seriously! BTW, here's 44 cents can you take this letter to Albuquerque for me?


I agree with Cranky. Cut them some slack. This is a company that Visits every home and business in the United States 6 days a week.

Show me another company that can do that.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My USPS folks are polite and helpful and my delivery guy is great.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ship about five or so packages a day through USPS. We weigh our packages ourselves and they are always the same weight at the Post Office. Plus it costs around $3 to send things to the UK, I don't know why people even bother with UPS and FedEx, the USPS here (Kansas) rocks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of weights and boneheaded decisions, one of my customers was telling me about his pal who ordered a precision weight for his research at another university. Because it was paid for with State money, the property manager insisted on tagging it.

The guy protested, and then gave up and figured he'd remove the tag as best as possible when he got it back. The only problem is, when he did get it back, the property manager had *etched* the damn tag number onto the weight itself.

Goodbye precise weight, hello very expensive paperweight!
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
My USPS folks are polite and helpful and my delivery guy is great.


Mine aren't so much, but I still appreciate the USPS a lot and have found them as or more reliable than UPS or FedEx. I think they provide an important service.

On an unrelated note, though, it has started to annoy me that within the past month I've had 2 or 3 different occasions on which I've gone to mail a box and after asking the usual "Anything fragile, perishable, hazardous, or liquid," the clerk has then asked "What's in here?" (Sometimes rattling the box slightly). Is this a change in policy? I find it really irksome, and hope it's not a trend (I can't image it's some new policy, as it seems illegal).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I agree with Cranky. Cut them some slack. This is a company that Visits every home and business in the United States 6 days a week.

Show me another company that can do that. "

Well, no other company is allowed to. It's a forced monopoly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
My USPS folks are polite and helpful and my delivery guy is great.


Mine aren't so much, but I still appreciate the USPS a lot and have found them as or more reliable than UPS or FedEx. I think they provide an important service.

On an unrelated note, though, it has started to annoy me that within the past month I've had 2 or 3 different occasions on which I've gone to mail a box and after asking the usual "Anything fragile, perishable, hazardous, or liquid," the clerk has then asked "What's in here?" (Sometimes rattling the box slightly). Is this a change in policy? I find it really irksome, and hope it's not a trend (I can't image it's some new policy, as it seems illegal).


There is a postal worker in one of our post office branches that will shake every box you give him. If it rattles too much, he refuses to ship it and tells you to pack it better.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
cayluster wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
My USPS folks are polite and helpful and my delivery guy is great.


Mine aren't so much, but I still appreciate the USPS a lot and have found them as or more reliable than UPS or FedEx. I think they provide an important service.

On an unrelated note, though, it has started to annoy me that within the past month I've had 2 or 3 different occasions on which I've gone to mail a box and after asking the usual "Anything fragile, perishable, hazardous, or liquid," the clerk has then asked "What's in here?" (Sometimes rattling the box slightly). Is this a change in policy? I find it really irksome, and hope it's not a trend (I can't image it's some new policy, as it seems illegal).


There is a postal worker in one of our post office branches that will shake every box you give him. If it rattles too much, he refuses to ship it and tells you to pack it better.


So - you have to nail down the playing pieces when you ship a game? surprise
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
Is this a change in policy? I find it really irksome, and hope it's not a trend (I can't image it's some new policy, as it seems illegal).


Ours don't ask what's in a box, though with Media Mail, they can open it to check.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.