Hide
15 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Interesting new power idea - Gatekeeper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so I had a weird dream last night where I saw pictures for alien powers that do not exist, and one of them was a picture of the high tech "ring" which was the gate covered in neon webbing that looked mechanical. I saw what the power did in my dream and then tried to flush it out here, so this is the result. This power is by no means a complete concept, but just something to work through:

[_] GATEKEEPER Displaces Offensive Ships [_]

You have the power to Displace. As a main player or ally, after alliances have been made, but before cards are played, you may use this power to take one ship from each offensive player to place onto this sheet (unless that player has only one ship involved), and/or to take up to 4 ships off this sheet from any players to place onto the gate as an offensive ally without being invited; even having a player ally against themselves.

When taking ships off this sheet that belong to a player who is already an offensive player, add the ships together.

If Moebius Tubes is played, all ships on this sheet are released as if they had been released from the warp.

You may not reduce a player to less ships than is needed to win the game by use of this power.

Silent and reclusive, the enigmatic Gatekeepers have stayed out of intergalactic battles as long as they could stand. Tired of having warp space abused for greedy conquest and vainglory, they have decided to act and take control of the gates they helped to create aeons ago. Through manipulating space-time, these sentinels have undertaken the task of creating a serene cosmos according to their design.

Main Player Or Ally Only Optional
Start Turn Regroup Destiny Launch Alliance Planning Reveal Resolution

Wild: After alliances have been made but before cards have been selected, place one ship from each offensive player who has ships in the gate into the warp.
As Any Player Alliance

Super: When using your power you may take up to half an offensive player's ships to place onto your sheet, rounded up; though you still cannot reduce an offensive player to zero ships. When using your power to place ships onto the gate you are able to place as many as you want.
As Any Player Alliance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if Gatekeeper puts ships from other players onto the gate as offensive allies after they've already allied with the defense?

Since FFG inexplicably doesn't have defensive allies put their ships onto the physical gate, can Gatekeeper grab them?

Seems like a strong power; it'll grab ships every single encounter, which will seriously depress alliance invitation rates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I need to reword things, but I was under the impression that only Offense and his allies put ships into the gate. So that is all that this was intended to effect. Perhaps I need to add in the clause about being only able to effect the offense and his allies and nothing else.

The fact that you can only take at most one ship from each player shouldn't wreck alliances that bad, and will make it take a awhile for you to capture a significant amount of ships if you are just trying to Void people. The main aspect of the power is sabotaging people by throwing in tokens of other players they don't want on their side, as well as occasionally throwing in a ship or two of yours to spoil things.

Seeing as this idea is less than a day old, I am sure there are kinks in it, which can be worked out with further critique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Messianic wrote:
I was under the impression that only Offense and his allies put ships into the gate.

Well, that's what they say in the rulebook, but the cards tell another story. Every prior edition of Cosmic Encounter put defensive allies on the narrow end of the gate. FFG changed that in the rules, but they did not carry that change through to the cards. On every card where it would make a difference, we have to consider "on the gate" to include defensive allies or the cards leak.

Most of us just disregard the change in the rulebook. It was ill-conceived, causes problems, and has no discernible benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sort of like an Optional Assessor, plus the Ghost that only uses taxed ships.

Can you put ships in the offensive end of the gate, when the same player is already on the defensive side of the encounter? Can you take the offensive main player's only ship out of the gate? If so, what happens to the encounter? And it would be yet another Macron hose. If you remove a Fungus stack, does it break apart?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
Messianic wrote:
I was under the impression that only Offense and his allies put ships into the gate.

Well, that's what they say in the rulebook, but the cards tell another story. Every prior edition of Cosmic Encounter put defensive allies on the narrow end of the gate. FFG changed that in the rules, but they did not carry that change through to the cards. On every card where it would make a difference, we have to consider "on the gate" to include defensive allies or the cards leak.

Most of us just disregard the change in the rulebook. It was ill-conceived, causes problems, and has no discernible benefit.

Hear, hear. And some of us call it "the cone," too, out of sheer obstinacy.

Anyway, this is an interesting alien idea, but I think it needs some tweaking. Since its main punch is making people ally against their will, I question its actual utility. After all, there are many times when I just don't want allies as offense, and I don't want to give people a shot at a free colony. Here especially, when the ally is not even risking any ships! In fact, he's getting them back off my sheet and into the Warp if I lose! Not sure how to fix that just now, but it's what comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
It's sort of like an Optional Assessor, plus the Ghost that only uses taxed ships.

Can you put ships in the offensive end of the gate, when the same player is already on the defensive side of the encounter? Can you take the offensive main player's only ship out of the gate? If so, what happens to the encounter? And it would be yet another Macron hose. If you remove a Fungus stack, does it break apart?

Yes you can do that, which is beneficial probably for the player who has ships on both sides. Yes you can strip the offense of his only ship, which means he still has to play a card, but isn't going to gain or lose anything, however the defense may get that colony stripped if the offense wins. As for Macron, yea that is an issue, because if I give the power a clause of "unless the player only has 1 ship in the gate", than no one will ever be on the offensive side with 2+ ships, making your power nothing more than a limited offensive parasite. I'll have to think of something.

Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Bill Martinson wrote:
Messianic wrote:

Hear, hear. And some of us call it "the cone," too, out of sheer obstinacy.

Anyway, this is an interesting alien idea, but I think it needs some tweaking. Since its main punch is making people ally against their will, I question its actual utility. After all, there are many times when I just don't want allies as offense, and I don't want to give people a shot at a free colony. Here especially, when the ally is not even risking any ships! In fact, he's getting them back off my sheet and into the Warp if I lose! Not sure how to fix that just now, but it's what comes to mind.

I think there is a misunderstanding of what this guy does.

Having people ally against their will is not JUST for you, but to put poeple's ships in someone ELSE'S offensive encounter, to make them tank the encounter or give poeple free colonies that they don't want, including you. Also it doubles as a capture power, and triples as an offensive power dampener.

Depending on your play style, you can focus on one of these areas in particular, you can focus on the dampening/capturing, or on the tanking other people's encounters part.

If I am offense, and 2 poeple ally with me 3 ships, and I have 4, I may use my power to take one of both or their ships and one of mine. If I lose the encounter and someone else is offense, I place my own ship onto the gate for a colony, or to tank their turn. Also this allows me to add another 4 ships to someone who already allied 4 ships to me, making my offensive power pretty beefy. It has more utility than meets the eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Messianic wrote:
Alright, so I had a weird dream last night where I saw pictures for alien powers that do not exist, and one of them was a picture of the high tech "ring" which was the gate covered in neon webbing that looked mechanical. I saw what the power did in my dream and then tried to flush it out here, so this is the result. This power is by no means a complete concept, but just something to work through:

I've lost count the number of times I'm dreaming I'm playing Cosmic Encounter and I have a new home made power I think is cool, but when I wake up I can't remember what the power did. It's possible there's no real power effect and I just like it for the sake of the dream of the concept I'm playing a new power, but it is so frustrating I can't remember what it did if it did something when I wake up.

One dream I remember is going into a movie theater to watch a movie, but people I know are playing Cosmic Encounter in the back. I take a seat up front and watch the movie. However, I know for a fact some time later I had the same dream, recognize the scene, and that second time I chose to play Cosmic Encounter instead and had a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I need more input on this badboy. Too strong? Too weak?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So can Gatekeeper force a player to ally on both sides of an encounter? This is still very unclear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes he can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since that breaks the regular rule, you should specify that in the power itself, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper needs to not be able to reduce a player with only one ship down to zero. Follow the precedent set by Guerrilla. As it is, Gatekeeper will be meddling SO much in every encounter, it will become way too annoying to have in the game.

Is Gatekeeper restricted from adding ships to the gate only after taking some away in the same encounter? That's how it reads to me.

In order to be clear, the description probably should specify that Gatekeeper can only snag ships on the offensive side, or from the offensive player and any ally. Not sure which it's supposed to be affecting at the moment, but my guess is only offensive ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
Gatekeeper needs to not be able to reduce a player with only one ship down to zero. Follow the precedent set by Guerrilla. As it is, Gatekeeper will be meddling SO much in every encounter, it will become way too annoying to have in the game.

Is Gatekeeper restricted from adding ships to the gate only after taking some away in the same encounter? That's how it reads to me.

In order to be clear, the description probably should specify that Gatekeeper can only snag ships on the offensive side, or from the offensive player and any ally. Not sure which it's supposed to be affecting at the moment, but my guess is only offensive ships.

I added a clause about reducing a player below 1 ship, and have limited this power's usage as "Main Player or Ally Only" as to not be so overwhelming, which means he will be invited on defense pretty often I think.

When I say "Offensive ships", that means EVERYONE on offense, allies included. Hopefully my wording clarifies that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.