Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure where I should direct this.

I'm getting an ad on BGG for the game Haunted Village that includes a larger version of the pic found on this card:

First reaction seeing this ad: this girl is getting tortured while being blindfolded, F everything about whatever this is for. Not really sure this image is appropriate for an ad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
She's not being tortured, it's just good, clean cannibalism. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yeah! and that card explicitly 'states' that she's a GRRL too! or HALF of one at least, from their imagery I'm seeing... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Install adblock until BGG removes the ad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Meyer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your boss's only issue is the girl in the ad and not the fact that you are hanging out on BGG during company time, count your blessings, you've got a pretty cool boss indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cool They should have made more of an 'issue' about the 'blindfold', since she doesn't care: "to watch what she eats!" zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Donagan
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't think it's a blindfold... it is a bandaged head wound. clearly, whoever it is she is now eating, attempted to fight back and got a good shot in to her head before being over powered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
We're ONLY 'conjecturing' upon what the O.P. had 'stated' initially, so, let's keep such 'confined & opined' as thus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone must like it, they gave her a hand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
When the ad came in, I thought it was kind of borderline, but let it go since it's the least visible ad slot on the site (below the fold for most people, unless they've customized their game pages to bring the ad up higher). If it were the ad that floats with you on the right side of the screen, I wouldn't have let it fly there.

Turns out, it's the highest performing ad in my 5 years of being the ad manager for BGG. The clickthrough rate on that ad is through the roof!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
When the ad came in, I thought it was kind of borderline, but let it go since it's the least visible ad slot on the site (below the fold for most people, unless they've customized their game pages to bring the ad up higher).

Turns out, it's the highest performing ad in my 5 years of being the ad manager for BGG. The clickthrough rate on that ad is through the roof!

Oh, that got me laughing. Thank you. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't know that she is not in that position on her own free will. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the card (being an adult, and love women) but I can see some people being 'offended' by the cleavage. Maybe a black bra with satin would have been appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:

Holy crap! Are those... rage clicks, or "WTF" clicks, or are people genuinely interested in a product whose selling point is cartoon nudity?

After 5 years, you must by this point have a finely-tuned model of the aggregate psyche of BGG. Do you revel in your ability to look at a given image and predict how many hits it will get in a month, or is it the kind of thing where you have to drink yourself to sleep every night to blot out your soul-crushing knowledge of your fellow geeks' minds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Martin518 wrote:
I don't mind the card (being an adult, and love women) but I can see some people being 'offended' by the cleavage. Maybe a black bra with satin would have been appropriate.
Loan her yours? oh, I K-E-E-E-E-D-! probably too big anyway... robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:

After 5 years, you must by this point have a finely-tuned model of the aggregate psyche of BGG. Do you revel in your ability to look at a given image and predict how many hits it will get in a month, or is it the kind of thing where you have to drink yourself to sleep every night to blot out your soul-crushing knowledge of your fellow geeks' minds?

Yeah, I give publishers tips as to what generally works to drive the most clicks. If I were to include it on my list of tips, cleavage would be #1 by a long shot, but I'd rather the ads on BGG not head in that direction...

Remember when the entire internet was flooded with those Evony ads? Those guys knew what they were doing.

If I remember correctly, you're quite the ad designer yourself! Just move the box down and you've got it nailed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
What about that "Tanto Cuore" proliferating "Manga"? THAT aught to draw the WRONGRY 'intentions'! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
Those who know do not speak.
badge
Those who speak do not know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin518 wrote:

"Some people" are clearly not ready for the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Just move the box down and you've got it nailed!

I sure hope you're referring to the potential ad and not the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You know I did quite a few of the early Victory Point Games ads and I think I missed the mark not putting a few boobs on them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that some people commenting haven't actually seen the ad. The ad has absolutely no context: just a picture of a naked woman blindfolded and bloodied. No mention of "Cannibal Girl". Please note my emphasis above, my problem isn't with the nudity in the image: it's with the violence against women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
For me, my comment was to express my dismay that, in context, it manages to be even more disturbing and offensive than it is as a random image...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
jBullfrog wrote:
I'm guessing that some people commenting haven't actually seen the ad. The ad has absolutely no context: just a picture of a naked woman blindfolded and bloodied. No mention of "Cannibal Girl". Please note my emphasis above, my problem isn't with the nudity in the image: it's with the violence against women.
so-o-o-o... "NO HANDOUTS" for women in general? OR should she had gotten a "leg up" as 'compensation' in 'competition'? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But Titty Grab was removed from the Hotness, because it could "send the wrong message" to kids that browse BGG? Suuuuure whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if any women found this ad questionable? Seems its only men posting on this thread. The old chivalry thing?

And noticed on another thread some are using this ad as a way to champion using free ad block software.

I hate to say it since I'm very opposed to censorship but maybe just ask the company to revise the ad. Some people are so sensitive that it just starts a ruckus for no really good reason. Some people are terrified by boobs and anything that might even slightly be construed as violence against women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.