Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding. This game deserves more love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lonnie kim
United States
milpitas
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW. im completely surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and love the original, but this sounds even better! I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruinrefugee
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
desertfox2004 wrote:
I have and love the original, but this sounds even better! I'm in!

This continues the long string of reprints occurring shortly AFTER I purchase the original via e-bay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
While I certainly hope that those aren't their 'sculpts'. What is that one guy in the back doing; a "Black Power" homage?

EDIT with map inclusion now.
How come they don't have it appear "Like" this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just waiting now for the announcement from Stronghold Games that they've been working on this for the last 18 months. That'd be some revenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
While I certainly hope that those aren't their 'sculpts'. What is that one guy in the back doing; a "Black Power" homage?

Looks like the arm signal for freeze to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yes, "Frozen Partisan" would "B" something NEW for this then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
sweet... oh wait....

Fuck Yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I bought the original about 4 months ago and have not had a chance to play it yet, now I am going to have to learn and play and decide if i want the update lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really neat that they are redoing this. I'm not so certain I like the story as much as the original, this seems a tad hostile towards the US in it's storyline...but I can live with that.

I want to know more about these custom dice so you don't have to refer to a table idea.

I'm glad Kevin Wilson seems to be in charge...he tends to side more on the AT side rather than the Euroside in games...sorry all you EuroLovers...personal preference of mine towards AT (okay, maybe not all that sorry).

Hopefully the dice still retain the feel of the game. I'm thinking it's going to be something similar to the custom dice of Doom or Descent...but for a Strategy type Boardgame instead of a RP boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to think they just go through my game closet to figure out what they should update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Glad to see the different fiction from FFG. Don't know if there will be enough to warrant me upgrading from my MB version, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Edited to reflect new info on FFG's description
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
Really neat that they are redoing this. I'm not so certain I like the story as much as the original, this seems a tad hostile towards the US in it's storyline...but I can live with that.

I thought the same thing and was kind of disappointed. I was really excited when I first saw this announcement, now I'm afraid I'll have to pass. If this seemingly anti-American theme isn't pervasive throughout the game, I could maybe ignore the small story on the back of the box. I'll wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vee
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
mbmbmbmbmb
No Saddam (or 21st century equivalent) on the box art? Fail.

Yes, my tongue is in my cheek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just look at it like propaganda.

These invading countries are trying to take down the US, and to get the support they need to cast the US in some bad light.

Kinda like the Heritage Trilogy where the UN/world is basically trying to take the US down a notch or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vee
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
Obligatory but totally NSFW post.

Amerika shall rise again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbias84 wrote:
GreyLord wrote:

I thought the same thing and was kind of disappointed. I was really excited when I first saw this announcement, now I'm afraid I'll have to pass. If this seemingly anti-American theme isn't pervasive throughout the game, I could maybe ignore the small story on the back of the box. I'll wait and see.

Wow, didn't read the fluff until after I saw the announcement and came over here.

Yeah, if that's what they're putting on the box, then not for me.

Using semi generic nameless bad guys in the original worked just fine. No backstory at all would have been fine. This just bugs me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't bother me a bit. If you get too butt-hurt from the fluff, simply imagine the old back-story when you play; should work out just fine.

I really like the new sculpts myself (at least those we've seen so far) and some of the changes sound cool (like rearranging the cities) but, with a copy of the old version on my shelf, I still have to see the msrp before I get too excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played the original, but the current backstory as written on the linked webpage doesn't really make a lot of sense with the game's title.

If America is lashing out against the rest of the world, shouldn't it be "Fortress Everybody Else", since the rest of the world is effectively the resistance? The title Fortress America makes sense when "bad guys" are coming to invade, which they are, but it doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of America being the initial aggressor.

Whether you're pro- or anti-America, the story is in bad taste anyway when applied to this game. Imagine, for example, "Axis and Allies 1939: Fortress Germany".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wha'? What's happening to my eyes? And my nose??? *sniff!*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont see anything wrong with the backstory at all and don't see it as anti American. Im looking forward to the reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Stewart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...when will we see Broadsides and Boarding Parties? Fortress America and it are the last two gamemaster series games to get reprinted.

FFG seems the right choice for it.

edit:hit submit before finished writting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Making America the bad guy is such a terrible idea, and clearly reveals what Fantasy Flight thinks of America. I won't be buying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.