United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 173rd TGIF Poll
This week's poll is a continuation of last week...

Take your # of "Commented" board game expansions and divide by # of "Board Game Expansion Ratings." So what percent of your rated expansions have you commented on?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
0%
14.3% 17
1-10%
7.6% 9
11-20%
2.5% 3
21-30%
9.2% 11
31-40%
3.4% 4
41-50%
5.0% 6
51-60%
1.7% 2
61-70%
4.2% 5
71-80%
4.2% 5
81-90%
4.2% 5
91-99%
7.6% 9
100%
12.6% 15
I've actually commented on more expansions than I've rated
23.5% 28
Voters 119
What is your "Average Rating" for board game expansions?
0 to 0.9
2.5% 3
1 to 1.9
0.0% 0
2 to 2.9
0.0% 0
3 to 3.9
0.8% 1
4 to 4.9
0.8% 1
5 to 5.9
2.5% 3
6 to 6.9
22.5% 27
7 to 7.9
55.8% 67
8 to 8.9
12.5% 15
9 to 9.9
1.7% 2
0.8% 1
Voters 120
What rating have you given out most frequently to board game expansions?
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
1.7% 2
0.0% 0
1.7% 2
11.1% 13
38.5% 45
29.9% 35
15.4% 18
1.7% 2
Voters 117
This poll is now closed.   122 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:00 am

4. Share with us one of your favorite board game expansion comments you've ever posted.

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally don't rate expansions. Usually they are such an extension of the base game, that I feel it's sufficient to just rate the base game.

As such, I've commented 11 expansions, but only rated 1. The 1 expansion I rated is El Grande: König & Intrigant and has this comment:

Quote:
I rarely rate expansions, but in this case I feel compelled, as this is my favorite game expansion of all time. It elevates an already masterpiece of a game in a way that simply but interestingly completely changes the game, by creating personal and customizable decks of action cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally don't rate expansions. Usually they are such an extension of the base game, that I feel it's sufficient to just rate the base game.

As such I've only rated Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm for the solo
and Wings of War: Miniatures because I almost think of that as the catch all for the series and they do elevate the game a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
1 I've commented on almost twice as many expansions as I've rated (63 vs. 37). Quite a few of the expansions I haven't played enough to decide on a rating, and several others I've never actually used yet (but still gave comments about when/where they were acquired, or initial thoughts on them.)

23 The average rating is 7.91, and the most-given value is 8 with the others tapering off quickly to either side (with slightly more on the high side). The vast majority of expansions that I buy/play are for games I already like, which means any expansion to it starts out with a pretty strong bias toward being liked too (unless it somehow detracts from gameplay so it never gets used again, or gets heavily modified).

4 Like with full games, most of these are just informative stuff so there's not much excitement to be had, but I'll go with this one for the infamous Carcassonne: Expansion 7 – The Catapult (which I have rated _8_):
Quote:
Surprisingly fun, but certainly not something you'd want to use every time you played.

Play it before you hate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
I rarely rate expansions, but in this case I feel compelled, as this is my favorite game expansion of all time. It elevates an already masterpiece of a game in a way that simply but interestingly completely changes the game, by creating personal and customizable decks of action cards.

Wow, that does make me want to play with that expansion! I've no reason not to, as I own it.

For me, most of my comments on expansions are pretty dull. For most of the Dominion expansion, I commented that I stopped recording plays under them, and am recording them under Dominion.

But, for Dominion: Prosperity, I wrote:
Quote:
OK, I said I stopped recording separate plays. I lied. I record separate plays that just use that expansion only. Mixed decks I record under the base game.

That's my most exciting expansion comment! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my comment for Small World: Tales and Legends

Quote:
I think this expansion undermines the strategy aspect of the underlying game too much - it takes a game that is about strategy and timing, and adds the kind of randomness that makes games less fun. That being said, it can be fun but I wouldn't see using this every time we play (maybe 1 in 4). Getting close to jumping the shark here I think.

I still rated it a 6, though - maybe I should change that to a 5 ... meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
My comment for Trivial Pursuit: Genus II
rholzgrafe wrote:
As a game, Trivial Pursuit is awful. But it can be fun to just sit around and ask each other the questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually don't play expansions for games unless I have already played the game and like it. So, expansions generally get better ratings from me than base games. I don't record plays for expansions (other than in the comments when I play a game) and suspect that I've played some expansions that I've never commented on or rated. That wouldn't happen with a game itself.

My comment on Saboteur 2 is the closest thing I have to be worth mentioning here...
Quote:
We didn't think this would work with 2 players, but we tried it and... it was terrible. I like the changes though and I'm looking forward to trying this with a group of 4 or more.

I have since played it with a group of 4 and a group of 5. Just like the original, it's better with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfengold: Adds a whole new level to the game. I don't think I have played an expansion that changed a game so much. This one really does the trick and turns a family game into a "gamers" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Klein
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that my average rating for expansions is lower than for base games.I would have guessed if I played the expansion it meant I liked the expansion's base game and as a result would likely rate the expansion high. I would then have expected expansions to rate higher against all base games I've played.

Anyone else see this in their ratings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:
4. Share with us one of your favorite board game expansion comments you've ever posted.

I remain of the opinion that expansions are evil*, so I'm not sure I've ever posted a useful board game expansion comment, and I've certainly never written one I can recall.

* - Well, OK, _most_ expansions are evil. The Gathering Storm is mostly positive, Advanced Civilization and Isfahan improve the base game, and the unpublished 2038 expansion makes for a better game with 5, and is an interesting variant with other totals. Oh, and the original Bohnanza expansion - the little deck of 50 cards - was actually useful to make the game play better with 5. But even these expansions are somewhat evil, as they leave open the question of _how_ to play a particular game. (Well, maybe not Isfahan, which is a default for playing Samarkand with most folks I know.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Expansion Rating Comment % - 49%

That is actually much higher than I was expecting as I just have so many unplayed expansions thanks to Runebound and Heroscape.

d10-2 Average Expansion Rating and Most Common - Mine is 8...and I would have thought that the answers to 2 and 3 would almost entirely be the same. 56 expansions rated an 8. That is higher than my average of 7 for board games but I guess it stands to reason...you will buy expansions to games you love and in most cases they will improve the game or add longevity thus earning a higher glow rating.

d10-4 Fav expansion comment - Memoir '44 Campaign Bag (2nd copy)

"Second Bag - I'm so Cool...n00b Cool! "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 2 out of 9 - 22%

2. 7.57

3. 9 (given out 4 of the 9 times)

4. Since I have only commented on 2 of the 9, the best one is for Ticket to Ride: "Best expansion of any game I have ever owned or played. Period."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I am very surprised to find that I haven't commented all the expansions I've played, because if I like a game enough to have bought an expansion, I should at least be able to comment on it! I will have to rectify this!

2. 6.67. Nearly a whole point higher than for base games, but that's to be expected.

3. Bizarrely this is a tie between 5 and 8!!! Both on 16 games. 5 seems to be the standard rating I give for an expansion that I didn't enjoy much for a game I quite like, and 8 the standard rating for an expansion that I like but don't love - one that adds something to the game, but not one that I think is essential.

4. My favourite comment is for the 5-6 player expansion for Settlers of Catan, which I rate a 3 (although we have kept it for the different colours of playing pieces):
"If you want Settlers to go on for ever, add in a 5th or 6th player. We don't, so we never play with it any more."
I remember my 5 and 6 player games of Settlers as horrible experiences, and Settlers has always been one of my favourite games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My most interesting expansion comment is for 7 Wonders: Manneken Pis:

Quote:
Yes, I have the promo without actually having the game itself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My expansion ratings tend to skew higher, because I'm inclined to just play/buy expansions for games I already love.

My comment for Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot: RED Booster:

Quote:
Be mean - more so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very few expansions comments - I buy them but then don't always get to play them. I could play games daily - unfortunately I don't have an daily opponent.

Best expansion comment - for Trivial Pursuit:

I have seen a first turn win!! It was exciting and depressing as the winner was playing solo against two teams. He even contested the answer of one of the history questions - prompting a visit to the encyclopedias to prove that he was right. (Led to the house rule - the card is always right, even if it is wrong)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Challst wrote:
Very few expansions comments - I buy them but then don't always get to play them. I could play games daily - unfortunately I don't have an daily opponent.

Best expansion comment - for Trivial Pursuit:

I have seen a first turn win!! It was exciting and depressing as the winner was playing solo against two teams. He even contested the answer of one of the history questions - prompting a visit to the encyclopedias to prove that he was right. (Led to the house rule - the card is always right, even if it is wrong)

The correct answer is "The Moops!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kift
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to guess which expansion this is for:
Quote:
It's fun, but all the added complexity doesn't quite add up to an equal amount of added fun. Too random for its length. I still like Seafarers better.
Kifty's Law: More Rules != More Fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Looks like 82.76%. I'm still playing catch-up on commenting on games. I need to get to that at some point.

2 - 6.45 is my average which seems just a little high. It's those Dominion expansions that are affecting the average.

3 - I give a lot of 6s apparently. I'm actually surprised to see that these numbers are so high. I guess it all has to do with the fact that I only look at expansions for games that I already like a lot.

4 - Let's go with my comment on Dominion: Black Market Promo Card:

Quote:
It's very cool when you have the feeling that "I'm the only one with this card." And it can certainly add some twists to each individual's deck. However creating a separate buy phase in the action phase can really throw people off. Also if you have any players who might suffer from analysis-paralysis this card will slow them to a crawl for sure. If you play with people who know all the cards well, or make fast decisions, then I'd call this card a winner, otherwise it might offer more complication than it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions - or "How to make big games out of small ones". I don't bother getting them for games I don't like, and if I like the game, bigger is usually better.

1 I've rated 57.9% of my expansions.
2 Average rating 7.16
3 My graph shows an equal number of 7s and 8s, but there are a lot of fractions in there so it is probably really about 7.

4 Apparently waxing prosaic over expansions isn't my strength. Nothing inspirational to relate. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My expansion comments are by and large not that interesting. But here's one, for Catan: Cities & Knights:
Quote:
This Catan expansion seems pretty groovy. I have only played once, and actually had a bad experience because I got hemmed in on the board and had incredibly bad luck with resource rolls. So I spent the whole game with the "Kick Me" sign on my back, and it wasn't that enjoyable. (We were playing with the 5-6 expansion and 6 players; this just confirmed my previously held belief that I don't like Catan with the max number of players.) Nonetheless, C&K seems good and I'm looking forward to playing it again. It adds some interesting stuff: tech trees, a cooperative dimension, special powers--my favorite, which I never achieved, is the right to take a resource of your choice on any roll where you would otherwise get nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
I've commented on very few of my expansions for the very simple reason, I have played very few of my expansions.

I get quite a few expansions though. They look good they are for a game I really like and I must have them.

The reality though is that I do nearly all my gaming at either London on Board or Isleworth Board Bamers. They are both great clubs with lots of gamers. This means though that nearly every time I play a game there are at least one or two players who have never played before, so it seems a bit much to introduce a new game and straight away add expansions, so we end up just playing the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
sa266 wrote:
1. I am very surprised to find that I haven't commented all the expansions I've played, because if I like a game enough to have bought an expansion, I should at least be able to comment on it! I will have to rectify this!

Now 100% commented!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally do not rate expansions, but I have rated a couple. I rated the Age of Steam Expansion #1 board, for instance.

I like expansions that add a variety, such as boards or cards, without really changing the rules a ton. A few years ago, I was a completist but now I'm not (thankfully). I found I do not play tons of expansions, with some exceptions.

My favorite expansion is probably the Chicago Express expansions. They are always in play as I, and my game group, feel they add a lot without really changing the gameplay much. I also got the Spielbox boards for Castles of Burgundy (which were great).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.