Subject: What's the deal with Harris game design forum? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm posting this here because I can't email them directly. Maybe someone sees this can poke them.

A couple of weeks ago I registered on Larry Harris forum. I attempted to make only only one post asking which of the various rulesets they are working on would be best for a game of Pacific 1940 at this time. I was permanently banned and my IP was blocked. I can't even send them an email to ask why since my email also seems to be banned. I figured it was a glitch and blew it off. Now I can't even read his forum! Assuming this is a glitch I suggest not shuting off email since I have no way to find out what's up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Hopefully Krieghund will come by to straighten this out.
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Send me a PM on this site with your information (screen name, e-mail, IP address), and I'll look into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Royek
United States
Cochranton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
I was going to ask the same thing you are asking above.

Especially after receiving several profane personal messages from a user called Imperious leader, I have never been so insulted in all my life.

When someone asks me if my middle name is bullshit, like what this clown does. "But bull**** is your middle name, right?" and being stomped on by this idiot and his self-righteous buffoonery he proclaims himself as God, practically.

All because I made a single mistake, saying that Euro 40 took place in 1939, I was kidding when I posted it.shake

I didn't like the whole 1940 scenario against France and felt that it would be a useless waste of time, because France is set up to be the fall guy for all the other powers in the game. France just dies in the game. France is rigged to fall, practically. France is just fodder for Germany and provides no use to the Allied player. Poland at least they, formed a government in exile in that same country and didn't officially surrender to Germany and Polish pilots in the RAF shot down 10% of the German planes in the Battle of Britain.

But what's "Bull**** you posted about Poland, anyway?" This arrogant, crude, profane, ignorant, selfish, egotistical, vain, whining self-righteous, pompous, pretentious, uncouth, crass little bastard thinks that this is bullshit that Poland fought at all!

This asswipe should read about the Polish forces in 1940 that escaped to France, by Steven Zaloga or by ACTUAL documented accounts on the internet of the Polish forces and the men themselves that escaped to France and Britain.

I do not like being told by some little asshole that I am inferior to him in everything and that he is the superior one or being told that I have a screw loose in my empty head and that I am empty headed inferior person and that ( I am Polish descent, BTW) the Polish airmen fighting with the RAF in the Battle of Britain and the Polish forces is "Bullshit about Poland" according to this self-appointed egotistical genius.

Let's just insult the entire nation of Russia and the Russian people with that racist comment of "Turkeyskaya or stupid names for Russian territories" comment this guy had said to me in this PM message.

I do not appreciate these racist and offensive comments made by this guy. I was crying my out and having to live with this stupid bastard crawling around in my head for over a year. Yet, no one cares about this.

ANd racist and insulting offensive comments relating to Russia and their culture. It's okay. He's God, don't no one call him on it. He's sticking to Patch over at the forum! It's okay!

Yes, but racist comments against Russians are okay! That anyone would be as bigoted and racist as this clown Imperious leader is! devildevil

I'm glad you've finally asked a question that I've been wanting to ask for over a year!

This guy had insulted the entire nation of Russia with his bigoted comments relating to what they call their lands over, "oblasts" but he thinks he's the law over there and everything is the word of God coming from his mouth. But hey, what's a little hate
among friends, heh?

This guy doesn't know a damn thing about Russian, yet calls all my translations false because I say them! I SAY THEM! And doesn't have the skill so in his stupid inferiority playing, he pretends he has all the correct translations and everything. He pretends that he knows everything, while being jealous of a skill that he doesn't have to be able to decipher Cyrillic. He knew I had a skill he couldn't match, so he insults it because he's jealous! I do not care what language the game is in. But this stream of profane language coming from this clown that calls me a stupid little idiot because I do not do things his way, because I dared to question him when he was clearly wrong and knew it.

Or because I do not think like he does! See, what I'm saying or because I do not act like one of his little sheep that he controls in his little herd that can't think for themselves.

This guy basically said that I am stupid and inferior and that Imperious leader is the superior one because he happens to flaunt his superior education from Stanford. I do not care what university your are from, you are still WRONG because that is exactly what it says in the alphabet decoding and that you do not experience in this field. When I tried to call him on a mistake, all I'd get is "But bullshit is your middle name right?" all because I said anything.

No one believes him anyway when says he went to Stanford or whatever!

Yeah, "What's up with Harris Game Design forum?" Yeah, I'm glad you asked that question.

Welcome to Harris Game Design, my friend. Youve been down my road. These people do not tolerate criticism of their precious little game. I haven't been banned though. Did Imperious leader ban you? Figures!

This

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchman123 wrote:
Welcome to Harris Game Design, my friend. Youve been down my road. These people do not tolerate criticism of their precious little game. I haven't been banned though. Did Imperious leader ban you? Figures!

For the record, Imperious Leader is not a moderator or any other kind of official at the Harris Game Design forums, so he doesn't have the power to ban anyone.

The policy at Harris Game Design forums is to allow its users to express themselves quite candidly. Because of this, users often post things that would be considered offensive by other users. Unfortunately, this can include personal attacks. The moderators tend to intervene only when such attacks become "excessive" (I know, this means different things to different people!).

The result of all of this is that ideas can be exchanged freely on the site. It often takes a thick skin to survive there, but that's the price one pays for true freedom of speech. When such freedom exists, there will always be those that will abuse it. It's up to each person to decide whether the value of participation in the site outweighs the risk of being subject to occassional verbal abuse. I would only ask that all of the users of the site not be judged by the behavior of any one user.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchman123 wrote:

Especially after receiving several profane personal messages from a user called Imperious leader, I have never been so insulted in all my life.

"Turkeyskaya or stupid names for Russian territories" comment this guy had said to me in this PM message.

Pardon Krieghound, I don't contest anything of what you said, but I don't think it's directly applicable. Because after re-reading Patchman's post... I have the impression that the majority of what he was offended by was received via personal message(s). Is that correct Justin? I do not know of any forum that moderates personal messages, it is beyond their scope and intrusive... and hence the term, "personal message". And in some cases, pending on the terms of agreement, it is probably illegal for moderators or site admins to read said messages... AND due to how most forum platforms work, it isn't normally possible by anyone on the moderation team to moderate PMs. If these offensive comments were via PM's, then the moderators have absolutely nothing to do with it. If you're that upset by someone's personal messages Justin, block the sender - or if that feature isn't available, simply delete their messages the moment you see them.

In regard to "open" messages/posts on the forum... yeah, you have to have a thick skin sometimes. And let's face it, this revolves around a WWII, which holds a host of what could be sensitive issues to some (patriotism/ nationalism, contesting views of strategy/points in history, etc. etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point about the PMs, John. However, I think my remarks on the site's culture are still relevant, as a site's general tone can reasonably be expected to impact the tone of such messages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchman123 wrote:

When someone asks me if my middle name is bullshit, like what this clown does. "But bull**** is your middle name, right?" and being stomped on by this idiot and his self-righteous buffoonery he proclaims himself as God, practically.

All because I made a single mistake, saying that Euro 40 took place in 1939, I was kidding when I posted it.shake

I didn't like the whole 1940 scenario against France and felt that it would be a useless waste of time, because France is set up to be the fall guy for all the other powers in the game. France just dies in the game. France is rigged to fall, practically. France is just fodder for Germany and provides no use to the Allied player. Poland at least they, formed a government in exile in that same country and didn't officially surrender to Germany and Polish pilots in the RAF shot down 10% of the German planes in the Battle of Britain.

But what's "Bull**** you posted about Poland, anyway?" This arrogant, crude, profane, ignorant, selfish, egotistical, vain, whining self-righteous, pompous, pretentious, uncouth, crass little bastard thinks that this is bullshit that Poland fought at all!

This asswipe should read about the Polish forces in 1940 that escaped to France, by Steven Zaloga or by ACTUAL documented accounts on the internet of the Polish forces and the men themselves that escaped to France and Britain.

I do not like being told by some little asshole that I am inferior to him in everything and that he is the superior one or being told that I have a screw loose in my empty head and that I am empty headed inferior person and that ( I am Polish descent, BTW) the Polish airmen fighting with the RAF in the Battle of Britain and the Polish forces is "Bullshit about Poland" according to this self-appointed egotistical genius.

Let's just insult the entire nation of Russia and the Russian people with that racist comment of "Turkeyskaya or stupid names for Russian territories" comment this guy had said to me in this PM message.

I do not appreciate these racist and offensive comments made by this guy. I was crying my out and having to live with this stupid bastard crawling around in my head for over a year. Yet, no one cares about this.

ANd racist and insulting offensive comments relating to Russia and their culture. It's okay. He's God, don't no one call him on it. He's sticking to Patch over at the forum! It's okay!

Yes, but racist comments against Russians are okay! That anyone would be as bigoted and racist as this clown Imperious leader is! devildevil

I'm glad you've finally asked a question that I've been wanting to ask for over a year!

This guy had insulted the entire nation of Russia with his bigoted comments relating to what they call their lands over, "oblasts" but he thinks he's the law over there and everything is the word of God coming from his mouth. But hey, what's a little hate
among friends, heh?

This guy doesn't know a damn thing about Russian, yet calls all my translations false because I say them! I SAY THEM! And doesn't have the skill so in his stupid inferiority playing, he pretends he has all the correct translations and everything. He pretends that he knows everything, while being jealous of a skill that he doesn't have to be able to decipher Cyrillic. He knew I had a skill he couldn't match, so he insults it because he's jealous! I do not care what language the game is in. But this stream of profane language coming from this clown that calls me a stupid little idiot because I do not do things his way, because I dared to question him when he was clearly wrong and knew it.

Or because I do not think like he does! See, what I'm saying or because I do not act like one of his little sheep that he controls in his little herd that can't think for themselves.

This guy basically said that I am stupid and inferior and that Imperious leader is the superior one because he happens to flaunt his superior education from Stanford. I do not care what university your are from, you are still WRONG because that is exactly what it says in the alphabet decoding and that you do not experience in this field. When I tried to call him on a mistake, all I'd get is "But bullshit is your middle name right?" all because I said anything.

No one believes him anyway when says he went to Stanford or whatever!

Yeah, "What's up with Harris Game Design forum?" Yeah, I'm glad you asked that question.

This

Why air this in my thread? Has nothing to do with my issue. I have no idea who banned me or why. I was never contacted by anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the issue has been corrected. Thanks Kevin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Munoz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cyscott1 wrote:

Why air this in my thread? Has nothing to do with my issue. I have no idea who banned me or why. I was never contacted by anyone.

You have to forgive Patchman. He has Aspergers and is a little "unstable", especially when it comes to Harris Game Design, a guy called Imperious Leader, and anyone who disagrees with his ideas.

His father has requested we give him a little leeway with his rants.

-Slainte
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery frost
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
all things considered it is actually amazing that godwin's law doesn't come up more often...... The forum after all is dedicated to ww2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg D
United States
Upsala
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:

The result of all of this is that ideas can be exchanged freely on the site. It often takes a thick skin to survive there, but that's the price one pays for true freedom of speech. When such freedom exists, there will always be those that will abuse it. It's up to each person to decide whether the value of participation in the site outweighs the risk of being subject to occasional verbal abuse.

Unrelated I suppose to the problem of the original poster but this was an absolute, dead-on, and candid statement. Kudos to Harris Game Design for standing tall in defense of the 1st Amendment. Nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Royek
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It's a shame that (you know who you are) had to go over to Facebook and search out Justin and start in on him there by posting comments they knew would set him off. I think that such action could be considered stalking. Yes Justin does go off at times and I make no excuses for it..But it's a low blow when you report him to Facebook and attempt to get him kicked off there. I think what goes on here should stay here and not get dragged over to another site. The internet is really most of the contact Justin has with the outside world. I really am going to talk to him about not posting or even being involved on this anymore. So to end my rant I guess (you know who you are) you showed us who was boss here. Go ahead make up some more lies to put out there on the web..God knows you probably have done it already on whatever site. If the moderator deems it so then go ahead kick me off here....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Munoz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hope you're not talking about my dad with this Facebook thing. I think Justin was the one that contacted him first over there.

-slainte

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueDisc wrote:
Krieghund wrote:

The result of all of this is that ideas can be exchanged freely on the site. It often takes a thick skin to survive there, but that's the price one pays for true freedom of speech. When such freedom exists, there will always be those that will abuse it. It's up to each person to decide whether the value of participation in the site outweighs the risk of being subject to occasional verbal abuse.

Unrelated I suppose to the problem of the original poster but this was an absolute, dead-on, and candid statement. Kudos to Harris Game Design for standing tall in defense of the 1st Amendment. Nuff said.

Has zero to do with the constitution, but yeah.

Call me a nazi. I like jerkoffs to be kicked the hell out of anywhere I have to interact with them!!

@John M: Don't get too crazy sending personal messages on bgg. Pretty sure they'll moderate them if you're offensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
BlueDisc wrote:
Krieghund wrote:

Call me a nazi. I like jerkoffs to be kicked the hell out of anywhere I have to interact with them!!

@John M: Don't get too crazy sending personal messages on bgg. Pretty sure they'll moderate them if you're offensive.

Derry... what? I haven't sent any messages on BGG in quite some time. Are you implying that I'm the 'unspoken' one who's been offensive? Eh eh eh... You need to re-read the thread if so. And no... it is highly unusual for PMs to be moderated, for the reasons I listed above. Not that I really care... just say'in. From the sounds of it, it seems that Joseph is in the right, and I condemn the malicious sounding actions of the person taunting his son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Munoz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Unfortunately, if there's any taunting happening anywhere with Mr Royeks son, I have a feeling it's in response to his son scaring the crap out of people with death threats, vicious profanity, and racist remarks.

Yes, I know he has aspergers. Some of the people I know have been able to deal with violence he spews. There are several others - especially those who have younger kids that have been on the receieving end of Justin's behavior - that have not been so forgiving.

Heck, I admit that I have even lost my composure with Justin here on the BGG boards and have had a thread locked because of it.
I feel a little silly over losing my cool - especially considering that I have a neice with the same condition.

I understand the benefits of socialization. Unfortunately, if the people trying to reap those benefits are also allowing death threats, profanity, and racism to be a regular part of that socialization - they have to expect some people are going to react negatively to it.

Is it necessarily fair? Probably not.
Do I agree with it? No.
But that's the nature of beast.

-Slainte

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viracocha wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
BlueDisc wrote:
Krieghund wrote:

Derry... what? I haven't sent any messages on BGG in quite some time. Are you implying that I'm the 'unspoken' one who's been offensive? Eh eh eh... You need to re-read the thread if so. And no... it is highly unusual for PMs to be moderated, for the reasons I listed above. Not that I really care... just say'in. From the sounds of it, it seems that Joseph is in the right, and I condemn the malicious sounding actions of the person taunting his son.

You just said you hadn't heard of a forum that would moderate users sending PMs. I just wanted to let you know that you had, and were in fact posting on it. Not implying you actually were going to warrent any moderation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! I see what you're saying Derry, sorry for the confusion. But uhh... no, PM's here are not normally moderated, and it would take at least admin. rights to open an account's PM's (depending on the forum platform, sometimes this isn't even possible).

In regard to the whole subject of online abuse in this thread... hmm... a lot of factors to consider it seems...

*sidles toward the door and leaves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read about people having their accounts restricted due to abusive messaging.

Edit: But yes, the receiver would have to contact an admin about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kenwell
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Indeed the thick skin comment is well warranted, especially when dealing with that Imperious Leader member. I frequent those forums as a 'guest' to read up on rule variation, designs, new or different A&A versions, ect. And I must say the crowd is mixed, some members like Imperious Leader or Cow (these two especially, they are very pretentious members I find reading their comments), will verbally flay you for mistaken references or run you over hot coals because they dislike a person's preferences or customization choices. That being said they have others who are fantastic wargamers in their forums, but in all honesty I prefer The Geek, it's just a better site with a better atmosphere, Larry allows too much vitriol in his forums I find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow. Maybe that's why the root-word of Asperger is "ass". Who knows how words are formed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.