Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not talking about Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game. I really want to feel like I'm on a football field, taking decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are an awful lot of football games out there:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&ob...

What kind of decisions do you want to make? Run vs Pass, Different run/pass plays, drafting and selecting players to fit your preferred packages? There comes a point where you'd might as well get Madden and be done with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I made this, and what is required is someone "Like" YOU perhaps, writing down the "Canadian Rules" about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Surface
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the board game version of Blood Bowl?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alfredhw wrote:
There are an awful lot of football games out there:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&ob...

What kind of decisions do you want to make? Run vs Pass, Different run/pass plays, drafting and selecting players to fit your preferred packages? There comes a point where you'd might as well get Madden and be done with it.

I already have Madden and NCAA on PS3 but I'm looking for a boardame that simulates as much as possible coaching decisions. If it could simulate GMing as well it would be awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of any good "campaign-style" football games, other than playing seasons of single games, but I can recommend either Strat-O-Matic Pro Football which has a lot of choices, particularly on defense or Pro Football Fantasm which is OOP, extremely hard to find, and has no recent seasons, but is an even better game IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it, but Pizza Box Football looks pretty good as a simulation of coaching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little light, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoozie Has passing, running, blocking and a ball

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?
badge
Baah!
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:

Just got this for my son for Christmas. Picked up the Northeast expansion pack to go along with it. It looks very promising! (Hoping for some quality father-son board game time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A bit abstract but is fun to play, portable and feels like football.

If you watch the series of short videos on the BGG page that the designer made you'll get an excellent idea of how game play goes.

Definitely an interesting system. Plays in about an hour.

Great game in my opinion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Flood
United States
Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
APBA football

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you REALLY want to simulate a football game: Goal Line Stand Football on a hex grid map of the field with individual player counters. Each turn simulates a couple of seconds. It would take days to play a complete game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Falling Waters
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
Not talking about Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game. I really want to feel like I'm on a football field, taking decisions.

Then Status Pro Football is your your answer. We play where we take two teams and combine them then draft players.

It is out of print but we love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I've tried quite a few football sims -- strat-o-matic, apba, statis-pro, 2nd and 10, but the one I really liked the best is Inside Blitz Football. Quite detailed, but not cumbersome. Every player really matters -- from offensive linemen to individual defensive players, and star running backs. Good as 2p or as solitaire. Check out their website for a trial, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of football are you interested in? The North American kind or the kind that the other 6.5 billion people in the world play? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MungSu wrote:
What kind of football are you interested in? The North American kind or the kind that the other 6.5 billion people in the world play? :whistle:

The one that men play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of the really great football games I've played and own are:

1) Canadian Armchair Football - a lot of fun against an opponent or solitaire.
2) Canadian Monday Night Football - a 1975 Aurora release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Renaissance Man wrote:
I can't think of any good "campaign-style" football games, other than playing seasons of single games, but I can recommend either Strat-O-Matic Pro Football which has a lot of choices, particularly on defense or Pro Football Fantasm which is OOP, extremely hard to find, and has no recent seasons, but is an even better game IMO.

Agreed- Fantasm the best of them all, but be prepared for the game to take a long time to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Dales
United Kingdom
Nr. Goole
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
MungSu wrote:
What kind of football are you interested in? The North American kind or the kind that the other 6.5 billion people in the world play? :whistle:

The one that men play

Ah - you mean rugby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
MungSu wrote:
What kind of football are you interested in? The North American kind or the kind that the other 6.5 billion people in the world play? whistle

The one that men play
Rugby League Football?

edit: only just noticed the post above... lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only game that ever comes close to a football/soccer/rugby match on a board is Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook. If the fantasy theme turns you off, you can just play a humans-only league and leave out the magic item cards.

If you want something lighter, you can have StreetSoccer, although that's maybe too light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
MungSu wrote:

The one that men play

with their hands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StephenM wrote:
fardoche wrote:

Then Status Pro Football is your your answer. We play where we take two teams and combine them then draft players.

It is out of print but we love it.

This. A complete seasons worth of players in every position to draft. Every play call, every play result. Each game plays in the same time frame as a real game. Shouldn't be too hard to find a copy (no, noone's getting their hands on mine!)

I miss having the time to play this. If I did, it would probably return to my "Favorite Game" spot . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strat-o-Matic sells its football game plus 5 teams of your choice for about $20 plus shipping, a great way to try a game that has many coaching options and uses actual players. Easy to learn, not very fiddly, and if you like it you can buy entire season sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.