46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Fortress America» Forums » News

Subject: Red Dawn 2012...coincidence? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bauer
msg tools
It's a big coincidence that the original Fortress America (1986) was released at around the same time as the original Red Dawn (1984)...and that this reprint is being released next year at the same time as the remake of Red Dawn!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn_(2012_film)

I don't like Fantasy Flight's rather reaching backstory of the rest of the world attacking the US in response to the American evil empire which "entire nations were erased from the map." (certainly not what we did in Iraq after all!)

Like 2012 Red Dawn and Homefront, Fantasy Flight should've just concocted a story where it is the diabolical North Koreans who are the baddies!!! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Witzland
msg tools
impulse wrote:
Like 2012 Red Dawn and Homefront, Fantasy Flight should've just concocted a story where it is the diabolical North Koreans who are the baddies!!! devil

The North Koreans are the new bogeyman...

That would certainly explain the worldwide spread of K-pop all over YouTube... surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting. I had not even heard of this. Story of both movie and game sound kinda far fetched. Why not just keep the cold war story?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
What's interesting is how quickly and cheaply they changed the Aggressor Nation from China to North Korea, digitally.

Oceania is at war with Eastasia.
Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia Eurasia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even more bemusing is that Amerika the TV Mini-series about Russia taking over the US came out a year after Fortress America.

Heres an interesting little bit from a 83 LA Herald news article by one of Nixons speech writers in responce to The Day After,

Quote:
...since my dear friends at ABC-TV have made a TV movie very rightly describing the terror of an atomic attack on America, perhaps they might consider something else. Perhaps they might make a TV movie about why the people of the United States face such a dreadful risk. They might make a movie about what life in the United States would be like if we lived under Soviet domination. Here is the idea: Let's have a movie called "In Red America." It would be about a few days or weeks in the life of several American families after the Soviet Union had taken over America.

Perhaps this sparked off all these ideas of the US being invaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bauer
msg tools
essen wrote:
impulse wrote:

That would certainly explain the worldwide spread of K-pop all over YouTube... surprise

What's k-pop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekkah Kim
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
impulse wrote:
essen wrote:
impulse wrote:

What's k-pop?

wut?!? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Marquez
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Props for the 1984 reference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
impulse wrote:
What's k-pop?
Korean Pop Music.
Just think of it as the Korean version of pre-packaged all-girl pop groups and boy-bands.
(Also, 'J-Pop' is Japanese pop music, and is similar.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
impulse wrote:

I don't like Fantasy Flight's rather reaching backstory of the rest of the world attacking the US in response to the American evil empire which [i]"entire nations were erased from the map."

Where did you see that? The story on the game's site points to the world being pissed about the US's ABM defense system. Thinking it was intend to be used offensively.

That is pretty close to the original. They just replaced "Soviet Union" with U.N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The original posted backstory had essentially the US going nuts and using orbital weapons to blast any country they thought was harbouring terrorists and the rest of the world uniting to stop it.

TracerBullet wrote:
impulse wrote:

I don't like Fantasy Flight's rather reaching backstory of the rest of the world attacking the US in response to the American evil empire which [i]"entire nations were erased from the map."

Where did you see that? The story on the game's site points to the world being pissed about the US's ABM defense system. Thinking it was intend to be used offensively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Robot
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The ABM system used offensively? How could a defensive weapon ever be used in a defensive manner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bauer
msg tools
fightcitymayor wrote:
impulse wrote:
What's k-pop?
Korean Pop Music.
Just think of it as the Korean version of pre-packaged all-girl pop groups and boy-bands.

Oh... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Witzland
msg tools
fightcitymayor wrote:
impulse wrote:
What's k-pop?
Korean Pop Music.

What the Koreans are using on YouTube for mind control...

My gf listens to this all the time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Don't you have better things to do?
badge
Should you be reading this?
mbmbmbmbmb
essen wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
impulse wrote:
What's k-pop?
Korean Pop Music.

That was perhaps the most frightening thing I have ever seen. No joke. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames about the invasion of the USA have been around since the dawn of the hobby.

Fortress America was probably inspired by a 1970s game by SPI called Invasion: America.

The motiviation or identity of the potential attackers change as the political winds shift direction, and trying to predict this kind of futuristic fiasco in a wargame is difficult.

I know this from personal experience. shake

The concept of a successful conventional attack on an intact United States which still retains a functioning government is (and always has been) a fantasy. There are tremendous distances involved and a horrible logistical nightmare would be faced by the attackers.

Now, if the USA is fractured or the government collapses it might be possible.

The 2012 "Red Dawn" movie sounds like a pile of manure to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bauer
msg tools
essen wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
impulse wrote:
What's k-pop?
Korean Pop Music.

surprise

Lady Gaga on steroids...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blorbo wrote:
The ABM system used offensively? How could a defensive weapon ever be used in a defensive manner?

They're used offensively in the game. Just point the lasers at people instead of missiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
What's interesting is how quickly and cheaply they changed the Aggressor Nation from China to North Korea, digitally.

You are being reported for thought crime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
essen wrote:
impulse wrote:

Yep, that is it. Would be China, but the powers that be have hinted STRONGLY it wouldn't be good for business.

And yep, here is Homefront's trailer. I believe one of the writers of the original Red Dawn worked on Homefront:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirt Purdy
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

Just eat your 25 grams of chocolate and be thankful the ration went up. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heine
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless Charlie Sheen is in the remake forget it.

Seriously though, I'm not really excited to see a remake of Red Dawn. Loved the original, but just leave it alone. There have been maybe a handful of good remakes, but most have not been better than the originals and merely reflect the lack of originality in Hollywood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekkah Kim
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vormwald1 wrote:
Unless Charlie Sheen is in the remake forget it.

Seriously though, I'm not really excited to see a remake of Red Dawn. Loved the original, but just leave it alone. There have been maybe a handful of good remakes, but most have not been better than the originals and merely reflect the lack of originality in Hollywood.

charlie sheen was in red dawn? surprise

i haven't seen red dawn yet, but i heard that there are a lot of famous actors in that movie.

i got to go see it now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen (His second movie), among many others.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/ Red Dawn (1984)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen (His second movie), among many others.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/ Red Dawn (1984)

Lea Thompson
C. Thomas Howell
Jennifer Grey
Harry Dean Stanton

This movie has a lot of good actors in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.