Subject: Wu villager dies and summons an incarnation of Wu-Feng... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Neilson
United States
Mountain Home
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernizations, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats" -The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board. 1/21/16
badge
Troops of the U.S. Army 11th Airborne Division watch a plume of radioactive smoke rise November 1, 1951 after a blast at Yucca Flats, Nevada. (Photo by National Archive/Newsmakers)
mbmbmbmbmb
On initiate level, does exorcising the incarnation of Wu-Feng from a villager curse meet the requirements of winning the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From page seven of the GS rulebook:

"An incarnation of Wu-Feng comes into play al-
most at the end of the deck. The card is placed
on a player’s board as for a common ghost (the
“Nameless” and “Hope killer” incarnations are
considered as black ghosts). Exorcising this in-
carnation is the only way for the players to win
the game."

To me the phrase "this incarnation" indicates you have to exorcise that particular card to win.

As for higher levels, the wording on page ten is "The nightmare mode uses the rules of the normal mode, but you must win against an increased number of Wu-Feng incarnations
- For 3 or 4 players:, 4 Wu-Feng incarnations are used
- for 1 or 2 players, 3 Wu-Feng incarnations are used."

It seems as though a Wu Family Curse Incarnation is separate from the victory condition incarnations, and has no effect on victory; that it might be left on the board and the game still be a win for the players.

Of course, I could be wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I've always assumed that exorcising a Wu Feng curse from a villager is simply that; not the "real" Wu Feng incarnation who is behind the village attacks.Therefore, to win the game one must defeat the original incarnation toward the end of the ghost deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Neilson
United States
Mountain Home
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernizations, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats" -The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board. 1/21/16
badge
Troops of the U.S. Army 11th Airborne Division watch a plume of radioactive smoke rise November 1, 1951 after a blast at Yucca Flats, Nevada. (Photo by National Archive/Newsmakers)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! I was leaning towards the curse incarnations not counting simply because an unlucky ghost draw could kill a Wu villager in the "first turn", and a weaker incarnation could be exorcised shortly afterward. This is what occurred last night and the reason why I posted this question. It seemed a bit cheesy to have a game end like that, plus players could setup a Wu villager for death in order to face the incarnation on their terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masa kari
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm ... i don't think so. If a new WU Feng comes into play because a Member of Family Wu dies is the same as you play with more than one Wu Fengs.
If you play with more than one Wu Fengs you must exorcise ALL Wu Fengs on the Taoists Boards.

I don't know where but i have read an similar question before and there somebody wrotes you must kill all Incarnations to win the Game.

So you are out of Luck if you get 1 or 2 additonal Wu Fengs in your game, but if you win, you get more points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masakari wrote:
hmm ... i don't think so. If a new WU Feng comes into play because a Member of Family Wu dies is the same as you play with more than one Wu Fengs.
If you play with more than one Wu Fengs you must exorcise ALL Wu Fengs on the Taoists Boards.

I don't know where but i have read an similar question before and there somebody wrotes you must kill all Incarnations to win the Game.

So you are out of Luck if you get 1 or 2 additonal Wu Fengs in your game, but if you win, you get more points

How many more points is that? I've searched the GS and WM rules forums, and can't find any mention of points for any Wu-Feng incarnations in initiation or normal mode, nor for the fourth and subsequent incarnations in nightmare or hell mode. The rules specifically state it remains possible to win in hell mode, which with 3–4 players requires exorcising at least four Wu-Fengs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masa kari
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The points are mentioned in the Ghost Storie Rules. 1rst WF =2, 2nd = 4, 3rd = 6 ... more aren't mentioned but i think every additional Incarnation gets 2 points more than the one before.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/738223/wu-villager-dies-... = if you will win the game: The last Wu Feng Incarnation must be defeated before the last ghost card from the ghost pile was drawn

Normal: 2 + 2 from the villagers + 1 from the Curse Black Secret = 5 ... in Nightmare you could have at maximum +1 and in Hell +2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masakari wrote:
The points are mentioned in the Ghost Storie Rules. 1rst WF =2, 2nd = 4, 3rd = 6 ... more aren't mentioned but i think every additional Incarnation gets 2 points more than the one before.

Yes, but the full entry in the rules states (emphasis added):

Quote:
+2 points for exorcising the first incarnation in the nightmare and hell modes

I interpret that as meaning these bonus points do not apply to initiation and normal modes. Since, in the base game, there are only either 1 or 4 incarnations for 3/4 players; for 1/2 players you can have at most 3 incarnations; and the last entry under Score reads:

Quote:
+6 points for the third incarnation in the nightmare and helle levels (3/4 players)

(emphasis added,) I interpret that as meaning you do not get the +6 point bonus for the third incarnation in a 1/2 player game, and that the only bonus for defeating the last Wu-Feng is the +10 (or +20 in Hell) total victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masa kari
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I interpret the rule this way because in the normal game you cannot have more than one Wu Feng Incarnation.

In White Moon you can have 3 Incarnations in a normal game and there are no scoring additions for a higher number of Incarnations. I won't believe, that you get only for the last WU Feng 2 points ...

The numbers of Incarnations is the only sense-making diffenrence between the difficulties. I don't believe that you get +2 points for every Wu Feng because of the startnumber of Qi's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masa kari
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Secret rule book (engl) page 9 wrote:

The conditions for victory and defeat in the base game remain unchanged:
• The Taoists win if they exorcise all of Wu-Feng’s incarnations. ...

it is independend of all difficulties.

Base Game rule book (engl) page 8 wrote:

End of the Game
The players collectively win if they manage to exorcise the incarnation of Wu-Feng.

it is independend of all difficulties. BUT in Base Game, beginning and normal difficult you will never get more than one incarnation.

So if you only need one, than the other difficulties don't make so much sense and the death of a member of Family Wu have only the curse that there is a Wu Feng which you can ignore ... in the worst case you have to compensate the bad effect of the Wu Feng Incarnation at first time it comes into play or every round. So some of the Incarnations are worthless because they don't have all a great effect. If so, than all other effects are much worser, because removed tokens from play or removed ghost cards have a permanently effect.

In Black Secret the level 4 curse: "draw an incarnation and play one of your choice" should be better level 2 because you don't have to kill them to win.
In the base game rules they forgott to write in plural and in white moon they forgett it completely, that's all.

See Markus and Jae's answer: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/624752/in-white-moon-how-man...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.