Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Any time you could play a 3: You may treat a 4 in your hand as a 3 this turn.

Does this mean I need to have a 3 in my hand to use this ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It means that if you could legally play a 3, you can instead use the ability and play a 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lin
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that they updated the condition from "Any time" makes me think that you need a 3... which is kind of lame, since it makes Valerie less flexible, not just from the restriction but the fact that you have to give away some hand information to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am near certain that's not the intent. I'm even more certain it's not the intent on Midori's Master of Twos, whose whole point is to not require an actual two. I actually stayed up late with Sirlin in IRC helping change a lot of wordings at the last minute for the first edition and this was one that went back and forth. The problem is that when you say "any time" people start trying to use it for things that don't involve actually playing cards. I wasn't involved with the second edition but I suspect it was changed because of some interaction with some new abilities like Bonecracker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Chad is exactly right, it's anytime you could legally play a 3. Just saying "Anytime" made some people want to use it at absurd times when you couldn't even legally play anything in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Flageol
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks!

Really nice game btw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.