Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the original backstory of the new game, I thought the future history was suggesting the U.S. developed large-scale orbital EMP weapons and smaller EMP weapons for tactical use.

I read more on the game and the revised backstory, learning the orbital lasers from the original game are returning.

The EMP idea made me think of a variant.

The USA Player does not receive orbital lasers. The laser pieces are used to simulate orbital EMP weapons.

At the start of the game the USA Player receives 12 one-shot orbital EMP weapons. The EMPs are placed in cities like lasers.

An EMP can eliminate all of the Invader's pieces in a designated space if the die roll (same as an orbital laser) is successful.

A limit to the number of EMP weapons that can be used per turn is probably a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neet idea.

In the TV series Amerika, the Russians do exactly this. They blanket the US with nuclear EMP bursts from high altitude detonations to blow out every electrical item across the board and then sweep in to take over. The series starts 10 years after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are one of the few people who know about the premise of the invasion in Amerika. Four orbital EMPs were used on the U.S. permitting the Soviets to invade. The background of the invasion was written in the novelization of the mini-series. The book had a few good sections that made it slightly worthwhile to read. The novelization was better than the mini-series.

The EMPs from Amerika, Dark Angel, Jericho and One Second After provided the inspiration for my variant to convert the laser array into an arsenal of one-shot EMPs.

When SDI was being developed and money was available for multiple SDI weapon concepts, the laser array in 1986 was a believable idea. In today's world of tighter budgets and focus on tactical weapon lasers, an orbital laser array with tactical accuracy seems less likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

The widespread use of EMP strikes across the USA would be a terror weapon. It would also create a region that was "scorched earth" from a technological standpoint, and therefore less valuable to the invader.

A few tactical EMP strikes is a more likely event in a purely military context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about any from those there?

EVEN "made" my OWN "AWACS" for another now, so, WHERE is that other's then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.