Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes download revised counters or cards for various games. Pasting the front and back sheets together makes for wafer-thin counters that blow away too easily. If I glue them to a poster board, they never seem to get lined up exactly. I guess the alternative is to cut and mount every counter individually, but that could be a bit much on a true PnP game. Does anyone have any suggestions or know any tricks for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
One strip/row at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
This has been posted on extensively here and on Consimworld, but I believe that it boils down to mounting the front, cutting the board, then cutting out the (unmounted) back along the outside lines. You can then mount the back very carefully and have it line up with good tolerances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
This has been posted on extensively here and on Consimworld, but I believe that it boils down to mounting the front, cutting the board, then cutting out the (unmounted) back along the outside lines. You can then mount the back very carefully and have it line up with good tolerances.

that's how I do it too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
One way that I've seen is to put registration marks on the front and the back sheets, and then line up registration marks when gluing. You can do this a couple of ways.

The way that I do it is to punch holes where the registration marks are and then I line the sheets up with dowels/pegs going through the holes. It's not perfect but I end up with tolerances around 1/16th of an inch, which is good enough for me.

I've got a jig that I've made to do this, with the pegs sticking up out of a piece of wood. I got my idea from someone that had posted this online.

The other thing is that I've moved away for photo mount spray and use PVA or bookbinders glue. That lets you adjust things a little before the glue sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Autumnweave's registration marks and holes through the board to line things up is my method of choice as well.

I use A4 label paper for mounting rather than glue spray - which means I have less tolerance in terms of udging things around but the registration method still works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Cairol
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to do the following (although I suppose it is not the cheapest way, the results are awesome)

For the counters I print them on a transparent film adhesive paper and then, after cutting them, that is, one by one, I stick them on a blank counter. You can see some exemples of my mounted counters here:
Angola counters

or Vae Victis' Pour Dieu et pour le Roy sample counters

I purchase the blank counters at www.spielmaterial.de. Some samples:

As you can see there are several forms and sizes.

As for the cards, the same method, just sticking the copy to a blank card got from the same store.
You can also mount boards using one of the blank boards, but I have never done it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MOYON
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
BZH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you understand a bit of french but you can see that post I did on my blog on this subject:
http://dimicatio.blogspot.com/p/raconte-moi-comment-tu-fais-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I print on Avery label paper (one large label per sheet), then peel off the sheet and press it on card stock. For the other side, do the same, using any of the above methods for registration. If I am feeling very anal, I spray with clear lacquer to protect the printing.

For cards, I print on photo paper and use laminating sheets on both sides. In a pinch, I have also used clear packing tape to cover the cards, but this is prone to wrinkling. To help avoid this, I used as small a piece of tape as possible to cover sequential rows of the cards, front and back.

Using the above techniques, I made a pretty decent set of cards and counters of Hornet Leader II downloadable PDF.

The hardest part for me is always cutting out the counters and/or cards.
I have tried using a cheap office type paper cutter which can leave ragged edges and "jump" off alignment. I have also used scissors which is a tedious and hand cramping process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-print out both sides of the counter sheets

-line them up and poke a whole through two opposite corners of the sheets with a thumb tack

-cut out illustration board (aka chip board) to the exact size of the counter sheets

-spray the illustration board with 3M Supper 77 glue and stick one sheet on it

-turn over to the other side. Poke thumb tacks up through both holes. Spray with glue and line up the other sheet with the tacks.

-spray both sides with clear gloss acrylyc spray (to give the counters a protective coating) and cut them out with a straight edge and rotary knife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:

What tools etc does one need to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
elbmc1969 wrote:

What tools etc does one need to do this?
A good printer and a good sharp knife - a good cutting guide is essential, but whether you use a steel ruler or similar guide is up to you. Preferably a cutting board too, unless your table is expendable. I've tried cutting wheels but find the knife & ruler the most reliable. I don't use fancy knives - just the snap-off blade ones you get for DIY. A lot of people don't realise those blades are replaceable in the handles - even cheaper.

I print both sides of the sheet onto photo quality label paper - I don't think that's universally available, but I get mine here in the UK:
http://www.labelplanet.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Gloss_Inkje...
It's expensive per sheet, but the quality is well worth it. It's also more opaque than 'standard' label paper, giving a better white background if your card is not white (it even hides patterns fairly well if you go cheap & use cereal boxes... so long as there are no large white areas).

I then stick one side to some card and cut out around the outer edges - if the countersheet has been produced like the ones commonly professionally printed, it'll have two panels of counters separated by a central spine. I cut out each panel, cut out the corresponding rear panel labels, then - really carefully, but by hand, no guide holes or the like, stick the rear sheet on. making sure it's the right sheet, right way up, etc... If you use a light touch you can tack an edge in place & remove it once to correct the lineup. You may want to cut the sheets into smaller panels - quarter pages maybe - but I don't like fiddling around with too many small bits. I can now happily line up half-page panels, and that's fewer chances of mistakes. If it's a PnP countersheet, I can always reprint it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This guide posted at CSW has pretty much been the standard, posted by a DTP veteran:

Roy Bartoo's method

This has worked flawlessly for me time and again, even for big projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.