Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of A Game of Thrones this summer, along with the A Clash of Kings expansion.

Now for Christmas I've been given this second edition of A Game of Thrones, which I see incorporates some of the good stuff from the expansion (e.g., six players, ports).

All good news so far!

I haven't had the chance to play either version with others (or Others).

I hope to someday get this game--one version of it, at least--to the table. Which one would you recommend, and why? Would it depend on the number of players?

Poll
Which version of "A Game of Thrones" should I play?
  First Edition (NO expansion elements) First Edition (some/all expansion elements added) Second Edition
Three Players
Four Players
Five Players
Six Players
      140 answers
Poll created by manutd03

Comments are most welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the flexibility provided with the Clash of Kings order tokens. As far as I know, they are not in 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valtteri Pirttilä
Finland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the first edition alone and with Clash of Kings, but not the second.

From what I gather, the first edition base game works with 5 players, Clash of Kings with 6 and the third expansion with 4. The second edition works best with 6.

In my humble opinion the otherwise great game of aGoT works poorly with a non-optimal player count. So unless you can regularly field six players, the gorgeous graphics of the second edition might be wasted..

Edit: I would love to be proven wrong. I was really looking forward to the second edition, but I'm really worried about the game balance and that's holding back my purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vallu751 wrote:
From what I gather, the first edition base game works with 5 players, Clash of Kings with 6 and the third expansion with 4. The second edition works best with 6.

In my humble opinion the otherwise great game of aGoT works poorly with a non-optimal player count. So unless you can regularly field six players, the gorgeous graphics of the second edition might be wasted..

I've read that, too, but it looks like most people are recommending this second edition even with five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Dupuis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they fixed this in the second edition. You now have some neutral areas on the board that the players must conquer in order to advance. And the starting setup has changed so Lannisters isn't the underdog as much. I for one would like to try it at 3 or 4 since getting 6 players to play this game in my circle isn't easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played second edition only, twice. Once with four, and once with six. With four it seemed like Baratheon had it too easy. Maybe because we're newbies, but I don't like games where one side has a very clear advantage unless everybody knows what they're doing — it means it's unplayable the first few times you play. Anyway, I loved it with six players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Adamiak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you really think that Second Edition is better than SoS? Leaders, 4-players map... It's much better game than 4-player Second Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaimada wrote:
Do you really think that Second Edition is better than SoS? Leaders, 4-players map... It's much better game than 4-player Second Edition.

Of course, that would require me to procure Storm of Swords, which isn't cheap these days, whereas I've already got the second edition game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Adamiak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Didn;t noticed that SoS isn't available.
So yes 2nd edition is better than GoT + CoK. But it doesn't have the best leaders, house cards, map for 4 and ally cards which are in SoS.
So yes if I bought GoT today it would be a 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sletten
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
The struggle was real
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't play the game 3- or 4-player. As someone said, Storm of Swords is a good 4-player version of the game, otherwise, go with something beter suited to 4-players. For 5 and 6, 2nd edition is just plain better in nearly every aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.