Subject: War of Honor old school? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Townsend
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck.
badge
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love L5R, so this game has my interest piqued. The problem is, all of the cards I own were produced in the 20th century. So how well does this work with Strict Jade (or not so strict) decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Roguski
United States
Dumfries
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a lot of rules changes since Jade was released so be prepared for that, not to mention that the rules for WoH are slightly condensed so that new players can easily digest it.

Another thing to think about is the power-level of the cards. Cards that would be Clan Champions in Jade are now fairly commonplace.

In the end so long as you have a good time that's all that matters. No harm in giving it a try. If you find it doesn't mesh well, just go with whats in WoH.

Also look into the starters that are being released in January. Alderac has really upped their game with Emperor Edition and the Starters are supposed to have very focused pre-built decks, 4 stongholds, one for each of the clan's themes, a complete and updated rule book, and a couple additional packs. I think all in all it's something like 118 cards per starter.

Whatever you decide I hope you have fun.

-Jed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Avers
United States
Elmore
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xarls Taunzund wrote:
I absolutely love L5R, so this game has my interest piqued. The problem is, all of the cards I own were produced in the 20th century. So how well does this work with Strict Jade (or not so strict) decks?

Havn't tested it myself, but I could see it working fine. You don't have to worry as much about some of the jank that can crop up like massive honor or dishonor bombs since you use the Paths as victory conditions instead of the normal ones.

You'll probably want to ban any of those cards that have alternate victory conditions, too.

There was a Legacy (the "Open" environment for L5R http://rules.l5r.com/Legacy_Format_Changes_to_the_Current_Ru...) tournament for WoH a while back, and the cards they banned were:

- Minor Oni Servant (Follower)
- Rise from the Ashes (Spell)
- Take the Initiative (Strategy)
- Breach of Etiquette (Strategy)
- The Master of Five (Event)
- A Favor Returned (Holding)
- Shrine of the Spirits (Stronghold)
- The High House of Light (Stronghold)

Something that'll also help whenever it comes out is the Oracle of the Void, the upcoming card database that has all the old cards re-formatted text-wise to comply with newer editions. That might help iron out any compatibility issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.