Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can read in my comment we had a rather bad first game.
5 geeks, everybody having read the rules beforehand, discussing the rules throughout the whole game.

Here is what we definetly still did wrong:

1) Purchase of the Charter does not adjust the company value by +5.

2) Railroad companies not yet connected to a mine are not allowed to pay dividends.

3) A bond can be partially paid off to exchange for a bond of a smaller denomination.

Here are things I'm unsure about:

a) Does each new building to a town have a boomtown effect for RR and Mine? We had up to 4 buildings on towns, rocketing the only RR and Mine. The RR went worthless because of bonds while the mine ended the game after cycle 3 by reaching more than 100 (I think it was like this: 2 connected RR +36, 4 Booms +48, 15 for paying dividends, 10 base)

b) Can mines >100 end the game? Is this bad play and not supposed by the designer or just another way of playing? Obviously they can as stated in the rules.

c) What happens to a RR company connected to an operating Mine with no cash left to pay dividends (for example after paying the last bond)? Give 0 dividends (therefore +5 on income)? Cannot pay div (nothing happens or even -5 income?)

Finally one design Idea:
All companies have 3 shares so you constantly calculate thirds of money. Why not have "thirds rounded down" in small numnbers along the income track? This would save some brainpower for more important things.

And please put some more work, or some professionals work, in the rulebook next time.

I'm a bit puzzled because it seems we only had 3 smaller rules wrong. The gameplay felt as if we must have made far bigger mistakes.
At the moment I'm torn between throwing this game in a dark corner and forget about it for ever and playing again because "this can't have been it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Lockwood
Australia
Blacktown
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Is correct.
2) Is correct, according to a post made by the designers brother.
3) Is correct.

a) The designer has answered this in a previous thread. Boomtown is not allowed multiple times in a town, it's a once only event.

c) I'm going out on a limb here, but it seems logical to me that if a railroad company makes no profit then how can it pay dividends if it has no profit to show? The only way it would be a problem was that if there were one or two thousand dollars left in the company before dividends were paid and nobody owned all three share certificates (since all monies are taken from dividends when all shares are owned by one player). In which case, as the rules stand, the company cannot pay a dividend because it would need at least three thousand dollars so to do. Hence it's stock price would drop 5. The moral of the story being, if you want to pay dividends and don't own all the shares, make sure that there is at least three thousand dollars in the kitty!

I'll also add that we missed the railbuilding rule that only allows one build in the starting area when a railroad builds its' first track-lay. It would seem that the 'Railroad Commisioner' card could mitigate this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick stevens
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'll also add that we missed the railbuilding rule that only allows one build in the starting area when a railroad builds its' first track-lay. It would seem that the 'Railroad Commisioner' card could mitigate this."
What rule leads you to think you can only place one train at any time (other than when you have insufficient funds or there is only 1 left)? This is not the way I intended it, yet many people seem to get this wrong and I wonder why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Lockwood
Australia
Blacktown
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See my reply on the commisioner thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
promuso wrote:

a) The designer has answered this in a previous thread. Boomtown is not allowed multiple times in a town, it's a once only event.

I could certainly be wrong, but I think what was meant by "once-only event" in that thread was that it cannot be applied retroactively-- the bonus only applies at the instant the building is placed, for operating mines/connected railroads at that instant only. According to the Numbskull FAQ, the bonus does apply each time a building is placed at a given townsite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick stevens
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom's answer is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.